1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHAT IS GOING ON???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevie Wonder, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

I attended the game in Phoenix tonight and was again disappointed with Hakeems playing time. The guy started the game and hit a couple of jumpers and was practically never seen again. There is no excuse for him not to be playing. WE are getting outrebounded in crucial situations. You have to give Hakeem a chance to play, this small ball will not work in the NBA. Atleast let him try to establish an inside presence, he never gets the chance to get into a rhythm. A Phoenix fan sitting next to me even made a good point" How could they not play Hakeem when both Dudley and Satiago both there centers were in foul trouble. It makes no sense. Rudy plays Bullard who cant rebound and when the guy came in tonight his shot wasnt even on. How can you continue to play him. I am simply fustrated at the fact I dont think Rudy is giving us the best chance to win right now. The play is sloppy and the Rockets have no offensive structure out there. It was obvious to me that Kenny Thomas can not gaurd Rodney Rodgers but not one adjustment was made. It really was ridiculous. I would love to hear some feedback on what other people think about Hakeem not playing,as well as,Rudy T.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

[This message has been edited by Stevie Wonder (edited November 06, 2000).]

2. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

I have to agree with you. In the Clippers game, Hakeem showed that he has the ability to atleast grab the boards. He got to play 30+ mins and i though he was productive. It's ridiculous to see Bullard in there instead of the Dream when Bull wasnt even in the flow. I don't know what Rudy's thinking. but i sure dont like it so far!

------------------
    How Sweet it is!

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not having Dream in there in crunch time is ridiculous. He played only 14 minutes against Phoenix. He looked pretty cozy on the bench. I think we would have won the game with Hakeem's presence in the middle in the 4th. He did have 8 pts in 14 minutes so what is the deal...sit when you play well? Is Rudy giving Dream a free ride? We didn't have much presence in the low post and, if that continues, we will continue to lose. With Cato out, Dream should be seeing more minutes...not delegated to a bench/cheerleader role. That was the most disappointing thing about last night's game in my opinion(in addition to all the missed layups).

Surf

------------------

4. OT

OT Member

Stevie W.
    I too have to agree with you. Dream should be getting a lot more minutes and plays run thru him.

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

i have been saying the EXACT same thing. Hakeem looks lost, Rudy needs to explain what they expect of him.

Post him up on the left block a few times...don't run the entire offense through him, but at least give him 10-12 shots a game.

Hakeem could be a positive influence on this team, but he needs time and the ball. I think if he felt he was involved, he would contribute more on both ends of the floor.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think Hakeem should be getting more playing time too. He might not score alot, but I think he can atleast give us 9-10 boards per game. If Hakeem is unable to play extended minutes Rudy should at least let the fans know about it.

------------------
    (no)Fun Police:

-To point out teams or individuals that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!!

This weeks award goes to Houston's basketaball fans!!!! 10K people at the Bucks game!?!?!?!

7. AllMightyHakeem

Great point. Rudy is on crack. Now, against the Lakers, he needs to give him a big rest. No sense in him gettin hurt against Shaq. If he does, I blame this On Rudy. But against Dudley and Santiago, come on. We need to go sign up Thomas Hamilton for the Laker game. And while we are at it, why not drop Collier for the year(he sucks anyways) and pick up Hamilton. If you think about the big picture, and what you are trying to accomplish as a team, it is to win the championship. The only way to do that is beat the Lakers. Why not grab Hamilton specifically for the reason of trying to keep Shaq out of the lane for a little bit? Lets face it, Hamilton is one big guy. He has no game, but so what? It's not like we need someone who wants to shoot the ball. The cat allready has that part sowed up. Rudy, do not get the Dream hurt on Tuesday. No against big Country, I think Hakeem can make it without gettin hurt, but don't make him gaurd Shaq!!! It's just disrepectful to the old guy.

------------------

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Nothing was mentioned about it but I saw Hakeem on that inhaler several times. The dry climate in Phoenix is not exactly conducive to good breathing when you have asthma and, considering he played 30+ minutes the night before, I'm not surprised he rested in Phoenix.

Back-to-back's were NEVER easy on Olajuwon. I can't imagine they are easy on him now that he is much older and has a respiratory condition.

My guess is that Hakeem may not be able to log heavy minutes in back-to-back situations.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

It's going to take a while for Dream to round into any kind of playing shape. It wasn't until the preseason that he even realized his medication would help. It's not like he was playing any competitive ball during the summer. I don't think it's reasonable at this point to expect him to play much in the 2nd game of a back-to-back.

------------------

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Why don't they play Collier more? I know his game is weak right now, but he's one of our few options at center. At least let him get some time under his belt. I believe that with some consistent playing time, he will become more productive. Let's see him set some picks & spot up for the open shots. If he shoots the ball enough, he might start to relax & get into the flow of the game. Let him earn his money. Unless we start opening up the lanes for the guards, we're going to continue to have low shooting percentages. Taylor hasn't even shot one 3 pointer so far.

When Dream is in the game the other team just cheats to the middle because they know that Dream's range isn't that great anymore.

Another thing, these guys need to be constantly moving instead of just standing around watching Steve or Cat go one on one all the time. Steve will find them if they are moving & the defense won't be able to stand around & wait for the guards to make their move. If we work their defense, then maybe we'll slow down their offense.

------------------

11. treeman

treeman Member

"Why don't they play Collier more?"

"I know his game is weak right now..."

Well, there's your answer.

------------------

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Stevie,

IMO, Bullard will continue to get playing time when "there is no offensive structure out there". Bullard is simply our smartest player who has learned the new system better than anyone. Second best in my opinion is Kenny Thomas. No wonder Thomas and Bullard play together in the "small ball" line-up. Maybe it is because they help return flow to our "offensive structure". Hakeem cannot flow. Doesn't mean not play him. But he is not going to limit busted plays for us. He will cause more than he fixes at this point.

Just watch him out there moving without the ball. Then watch Thomas and Bullard. They are so much more crisp. Honestly, Collier has very crisp picks as well, when he knows the play.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hey Treeman,

It's like when you first start lifting weights in the gym. At first you can only curl 10 pound dumbbells, but if you get in there every day & work at it, you'll eventually be curling 50 pounders as if they were 10 pounders. Same goes with Collier, while we are struggling is as good a time as any to strengthen his game. Throw him in there. After all, you can't teach size. Everything else can be taught & worked on.

------------------

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Finally Rudy got the idea. 34 minutes for Hakeem tonight. He helped shut down Shaq, and got the Rockets a Win.

------------------
    2000-2001 Rockets Game Formulas:
    End of 1st quarter: "They're playing so well!"
    2nd: "What a great game!"
    3rd: "Theres no way they can lose now!"
    4th: "What the ******* **** happened?!!"
    Vote Gore to keep our planet green!
    Rocket's Championship 2001!!

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

stevie wonder-You in the Pho area? I go to school at ASU, and I too went to the Rockets game at AWA...

I saw way too many jump shots and not enough slashing... We drew a foul every time we drove...

------------------