1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone here into golf?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It feels pretty awesome to bomb a disc over 400', too. Weirdly, the form for releasing a golf disc is pretty much the same as a golf swing, but in reverse. (Kind of like switch hitting). I'm a lefty, so I'm always hitting up right handed golfers for tips on technique.

Also, cause you don't have to worry about micrometer precision with a club head, the Happy Gilmore approach is the standard in disc golf. :)

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Haha. I might need to try that one time. A lot of my friends are into frisbee stuff now. :grin:

Anyways quick question. Does any golfer here have some decent degree of muscle mass? Should I cut muscle to better my golf game? Or do muscles not inhibit golf as much as everyone is saying they do?

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I fit a lot of 'big' former football players who can really play (I don't think I have ever worked with a full blown weightlifter though).

What I see with big guys is even though their swing speeds don't rate stronger flexes by the book, I usually have to move them up to extra stiff shafts and heavy driver shaft weights because their strong wrists and forearms bend the shaft a lot. If a shaft will bend a lot on the swing plane, it also bends a lot off the swing plane when they make swing errors, making their resulting shots more erratic. And, 90% of everybody I see swings 'out to in', 'over the top' so the club is not bending on the proper swing plane.

#63 Dubious, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Recommendations on courses around Houston (coming from Heights area)? I've played at Pine Crest and Bear Creek, as well as Kingwood with a friend who's a member. Kingwood is obviously way nicer, since it's not a public course. I was thinking about trying out Cypresswood next. Any nice public ones around town?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Any "sport" where your opponent can't talk trash while competing or you have to tell hundreds of people to "be quiet, please" shouldn't be called a sport. I can prove to you that your yelling and screaming won't bother me. It's a HOBBY, and even in HOBBies, you don't tell people to "be quiet." :p

[flame suit activated]

I have a gift card for Top Golf and I might go this weekend (if the wait isn't long, as I've heard it is)... who wants to go? ;)

6. jae713

jae713 Member

I went to the driving range with my boss yesterday during lunch for my first time ever. It was pretty fun. It took me like 20 minutes before I was finally able to hit a ball cleanly. It is definitely a lot harder than it looks but I really enjoyed it.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

My "home" course is Timber Creek. 27 holes, GPS in the golf carts (lol) great layout, course is kept nice and tidy. Across from Clear Brook High School http://www.timbercreekgolfclub.com/

1 person likes this.
  8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks I may have to try that one sometime. Just sucks that I have to drive 40 mintues to play a nice course. One of the disadvantages of living in the loop rather than the burbs. #firstworldproblems

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

10. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

Tour 18 is always a fun course to play.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I like to buy the reloaded ones from Wal-Mart/Academy. I'm not too picky about my ball. I felt like an idiot for buying a ball retriever, given how many balls I have to find before I get my money back. Did find a Bridgestone ball the other day, which are the most expensive ones carried at Academy.

12. Classic

Classic Member

Make sure you play Tradition at Cypresswood over the creek or whatever the other one is. The Tradition course is a tour pre qualifying course from what I recall and while very nice, it is also a very forgiving course.

There was a third one across the street but it's been closed a while. I loved that course.

& Yeah, +1 tour 18

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not very good, but I've reached a zen-like approach to the game and it's made playing golf extremely enjoyable. I go for cheaper courses and I like getting out of the city, so I've been playing Fox Creek and Legendary Oaks in the Hempstead area almost exclusively.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Great Public Courses in and around Houston:

1. The Tradition at Cypresswood
    2. River Ridge in Sealy
    3. Eagle Pointe in Mont Belvieu
    4. Timber Creek (play the Timber Trails Nine)
    5. Memorial Park
    6. Evergreen Point in Baytown (an unknown gem, easy to reach)
    7. Wildcat Highlands Course (I like it more than most people)
    8. Longwood in Cypress (great layout, iffy conditions)
    9. Blackhorse in Cypress (good but expensive)
    10. Cypress Lakes in Cypress (good value)

Worth The All Day Road Trip

1. The Falls in New Ulm (spectacular!)
    2. Moody Gardens in Galveston (fun but not spectacular)
    3. Tour 18 (big time fun, but all day because it takes a long time to play it)
    4. Stephen F. Austin in Sealy (funky good fun)

Others I haven't played in a long long time but have liked:

Southwyck in Pearland
    Battleground in Deer Park
    Clear Creek
    Houston National
    Greatwood

#74 Dubious, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  15. ranlights78

ranlights78 Contributing Member

I've been playing for about a year now. I love it and I try to get out once a week to play.

The courses I like to play are Battleground in Deer Park, Country Place, Glenbrook, Tour 18, Woodlands Club, Pasadena Municipal and Timber Creek. Pasadena Municipal is a great place to get started.

If you like close to Nasa, on Saturday there is a dude that sets up shop off Nasa 1. He sells used golf balls. I can get about 7 dozen for about $20.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Anyone play Bay Forest lately. Just curious how the course is doing. I'm about to jump back into playing golf...and have fond memories of sweating it out on the Bay Forest course in La Porte.

I have no interest in playing at BF (as I'm currently in Oregon)...just checking in.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Did you mean this coded post for Grindr?