1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

CD Burning Failure - Help!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moomoo, Mar 21, 2003.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

I'm in Windows 2K trying to burn on a Philips CDD3610 using Nero, and I haven't gotten one CD burned yet. At around 3% complete, everytime, I get the message "Calibration Area Full".

Anyone have a clue? I sure don't. :confused:

The error log that I get is as follows:
    :confused:

2. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I get those messages all the time when I use Nero.

Nero sucks!

Although it probably has something to do with my crappy burner.

Can't help you, though.

I'm out for the night anyway.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Do you have the latest drivers/patches?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Calibration Area Full" errors are usually caused because you're using crappy CD-R's that your drive can't recognize or your drive's crappy and can't recognize the media. It could also mean a malfunctioning drive or dirty lenses on the drive.

By the way, the drive you're using is known for this problem... ;) I don't really recommend it, but you could take the drive apart and try cleaning the lens to see if that helps. If you can find an updated driver, that may help, too. Or try some other burning software (although I don't see why that would work).

5. Rocket101

Rocket101 Member

yeah, what moomoo says, latest drivers and patches and if that doesn't work , just try another brand of cd's,; the other day my burner refused to write to a cd and all I did was use a different brand of recordable cd's and everything started working again.

6. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I had to keep changing CD burners until the 3rd one finally worked!:eek:

Of course it was a Philips CDRW 4000series 40X and I'm quite happy with it!;)

Also, try using another CD burning program. Mine was picky as hell too!

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Just goes to show you that buying the more expensive brands don't always help provide trouble-free burning.

I bought a cheap Liteon drive for 50 bucks a while back, and have never had a problem one with it. Of course, I use Memorex or Verbatim discs...so Im not sure if that is more of a function of not buying cheap discs or ust good luck.

I have also never had a problem with Nero...again, am I just lucky?

I agree with DoD, to fix your problem, go down and buy some named media and see if it still gives you a problem.
    Also, in order to keep from wasting your discs, go ahead and simulate the burn before you try to burn it..

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I used to have a problem with a disc not completely burning (only about 30%) then I upgrade to new burning software and now I'm a burnin' fool!!

Sometimes it's software.

I've also stopped using no-name 100 spindle CDR's that you get for $15-$20, I try to only use reputable name brand CD's...Imation, Maxell, etc...

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My CD player in my truck has a difficult time playing the crappy 100 for $4.99 CDRs I have. Lots of static when I play them. Like rockHead said, switch to maxell, imation, memorex, etc., and get away from the generic media.

Also, you may want to try burning at a slower speed or upgrading your RAM.

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

I had some problems with Nero when I first got it as well. I also stopped using cheap CD-R's. If your CD burner will burn at 48x, buy 40x CD-R's rather than the slower ones. That did it for me, although I have no idea why. You may have to look a little harder for them, because the vast majority of CD-R's in stores still seem to be the slower ones.

11. moomoo

moomoo Member

I'm using Maxell 700 MB CD-R's, and I've trashed a bunch of them (at least I think they're trashed......are they??? only 3% of the ISO file I was trying to burn was, um, burned, so are those disks still usable?.....:confused:)

So if it's not the disks I'm using, then that only leaves the burner itself as the source of the problem. I'm off to go find an updated driver.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What are you guys burning onto the disc?

Music?

Where are those FBI guys. Don't they have anything to do?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've still got my "200 CD-R's for free after rebate" spindles sitting around. They're some of the crappiest looking CD-R's ever made, but they play on every CD player I have... :cool:

By the way, name brand doesn't always mean better. Some of the less-known CD-R's are made by the same people that make some of the better-known CD-R's. Imation, for example, were some of the worst CD-R's you could buy for quite a while. Paying more doesn't mean you're getting better quality.

Lastly, the same brand of CD-R's can be manufactured in different ways and even by different companies. So today's Brand X CD-R may perform far better/worse than tomorrow's Brand X CD-R.

14. moomoo

moomoo Member

I did some googling and found some sites that recommend to updgrade the firmware. Is this different from upgrading the drivers/patches, or is it the same thing?

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I agree with the previous posters on trying a differnt brand of cd-r's. A few months ago i had a problem burning and tried every solution except a different brand of media. I was using Acer cd-r's and my burner couldnt read them at all. It may end up being a software or hardware problem but buying different cd's it the first thing i would try.

Also, I took a gamble on some cheap cd-r's last week that seems to be paying off. I bough some AT&T cds that seem to be verbatium discs with the AT&T logo on them. They work suprisingly well despite their low price.