1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is getting old real fast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, Nov 5, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Right now it is Francis that is the problem, he has just not improved since last year.

He makes 3 bonehead plays for every 1 highlite play.

Until Steve learns how to TRULY play PG in the NBA, or moves to the 2 guard, the Rockets will struggle to win many games.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

2. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

DaDakota --

I'm feelin' ya 100% on the Stevie issue but I think by Christmas time, as team role become more defined, we'll start seeing a calmer, more productive Stevie.

Hopefully we'll notice some -- any -- improvement in his defense which as of now, is non-existant.

Post-Game Thoughts --

Despite showing signs of vast improvement, Mobes continues to piss me off for some reason (maybe its all the iso). It almost seems to me as if he takes the team out of the game when he steps on the court. Murphy noted the need for adjustment to an NBA now aware of his ISO prowress -- one can only hope Mobes shows the same improvement in this area that he has in the rest of his game.

Shandy's still the man.

Cato still sucks (even more now that he has a boo boo on his ankle).

Aelliot was dead on in his remarks on MoTay -- Rudy needs to get this guy more involved on offense...God knows he can't do anything else.

If CD, I'm scouring the market for aggressive big men. Don't necessarily need to be offensive powerhouse or even offense minded but the kind of guys that break legs for fun. The blue chippers. Guys that live for the dirty work, to rebound, box out, set them mean picks, etc. Unless we gets some mean beef in the paint, the playoffs will remain a pipe dream.

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

3. Arnel

Arnel Member

I think that we should all remember that one more, shot, and a few free trows hit, we would off been 3 and 1 now. Some of you act as the whole season is over allready. S**t, don't loose your hopes.. than we got nothing.

------------------
    against all odds

4. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

Forget Mo. Bring back the Chuck Wagon. I'd rather have an old superstar who sucks on D and is injury prone but gives us a consistent 12 boards a game plus some points, inside presence and leadership.

Please come back Sir Charles and bring us to the promised land

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

5. AllMightyHakeem

If Mo actually could get a good pass in a good position maybe we wouldn't look so pathetic inside. I know thats kinda hard when someone like catino has the ball. The cat's all about numbers and losing. Do you really want your sixth man coming in and leading your team in scoring and shots?

------------------

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So Since75, can you describe one of the "set plays" you are talking about, please. Seriously, try to describe at least one that quickly comes to mind.

Most basketball teams I've ever seen (especially college with their 45 sec clock) score four different ways:

1. from fastbreaks and secondary transition sets,
    2. from half courts set plays
    3. from inbounds plays
    4. from motion that looks to create defensive mistakes

Very often motion looks like a set play. It isn't. Until our motion gets smooth, which requires great team coordination, we lose a major way of scoring.

Let me put it this way. Most great coaches agree that you must mix set halfcourt plays with motion. You might say, our game plan is to run motion from one of 3 entry points for the first 8 minutes, then we will call some plays for 5 minutes. Until Rudy can get some motion executed properly (which is all about reading the defense and your teammate), we will mainly be doing set plays. I want a better mix. Broken motion often looks like the guards are just dribbling around. Doesn't mean our goal wasn't something else.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited November 06, 2000).]

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Well stop posting then if you are tired of stupid posters.

8. Since75

Since75 Member

Heypartner, I'm going to assume that you didn't mean any sarcasm in your initial question regarding set plays. I'm not a coach so I don't know what the name of the play would be, however, I do play the game and know a little about it. I simply want to see a set play in the half court game run. The one play I see constantly involves a high pick and roll from a post player and the guard attempts to penetrate from the wing. This is something you spoke about in a different post. I am simply sick of the nonstop dribbling by Steve and Cuttino. I see Moochie make more decisive decisions with the ball and even Shandon. Either take the ball to the hole via the middle thereby giving yourself options or take the pull up jumper. Steve and Cuttino are not taking what the defense is giving them. I have rambled on this reply as I'm a bit frustrated with what is beginning to look like a long season. I do have patience however, but I want to see some rectifying of some obvious problems. I don't think I'm the only person who has the concern about guard play and half court plays generating easier baskets.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Since75...thanks...no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

You are one of the few I've heard say that they've seen set plays. I really wanted to hear you describe one to help me choose the next to draw. The description is all I need. I've definitely seen what you describe. It is often how we start the game.

Thanks for the input. I guess it did come out sounding confrontational.

10. MManal

MManal Member

I agree that Mo Taylor is more of a face up player than post up player, but I dont agree with the assessment that he has no post game at all. Last night, 2 of his baskets came from receiving the ball in the post against Cliff Robinson where he backed him down with a few dribbles then hit a turnaround shot from the baseline. Mo Taylor has that move in his arsenal where he receives the ball with his back to the basket and hits a turnaround from the baseline.

Also, just because Mo Taylor likes to inside pivot when he receives the ball isolated on a side of the floor does not make it low percentage. Mo's face up move where he dribbles from an angle and pulls up for a banker following and inside pivot is a high percentage shot. Mo is not exclusively an inside or outside player but a combination of both.

My guess as to why the Rockets have not given him the ball more in an isolated situation where he can turn and shoot even though it has been successful is b/c he has experienced a ton of foul trouble, and it takes time to integrate that into the offense.

My concerns with Mo are with his rebounding and defense. Offensively, he is a very gifted and skilled player, but I have been less than pleased with the rebounding department. Mo needs to do a better job on the boards and make a more concerted effort in that area. The defense has been acceptable except for last night which was a complete debacle. Mo could not hold his position on defense and could not prevent players from getting by him on face ups. I am hoping that the reason for it was his ankle as has been insinuated. The Rockets interior defense needs to get a whole lot better otherwise its going to be a long season.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I believe that the problem is simply this. When the offense isn't working, it's ugly. Heypartner described it well so I won't give my less than expert opinion on the subject. I do know that when our offense is scoring it looks great and we don't have the problems that are being described. I also know that we score A LOT of points when the offense is clicking.

Your frustrations are going to continue because it is quite clear that Rudy has placed a VERY LOW priority on a low post threat. Mo isn't one, Hakeem isn't one any more (4 points per game), Kenny is an average one, Carlos and Kelvin aren't even close. Rudy wanted to get big men that could play away from the basket to open up the lane. All the new players this year fit that description. Langhi, Collier, and Mo are all jump shooting forwards.

The State of the Rockets:
    All our eggs are in one basket guys. If it doesn't work the Rockets are SCREWED until the year 2010. Cuttino and Francis must be able to break down ANYONE IN THE NBA off the dribble and score/distribute in crunch time. If they can't accomplish that task while all the other role players learn to play as a team in the next few years then the Rockets will never win the big one.

19 points in the forth quarter by Cuttino and Steve's potential to be the best point guards in the NBA is enough for me to believe that the Rockets can let them keep dribbling until they get it right. It may be ugly right now but I know that it will improve. (and what Heypartner said about what poor motion offense looks like)

12. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

All this negative engery! Phew! It is early in the season. Dr. Robert is right, when the shots are falling, everything is roses. I do think Stevie is adjusting his game. I agree Cuttino has to do the same. Towards the end of the Suns game, it seemed to me that Cat was making his move after about 5 seconds of dribble. That is good. The double-team will come within that time, or will wait for the drive, which is what the Suns were doing. When Cat took it to the hole, I saw at least 3 Suns come over to help. The problem was and continues to be that Cat rarely passes out of that situation. With 4 guys covering you, someone obviously should have a good shot. Cat does draw the foul a lot, but they don't call it a lot also. Cat and Steve are intense competitors who want to win. I think they will figure out what works and what doesn't.

------------------

13. Since75

Since75 Member

No problem, Heypartner, I appreciate your indepth knowledge of the game. Thus the reason I direct a mjority of the posts to you for your input.

------------------