1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dennis Rodman: LeBron James would be ‘average player’ in late ’80s or early ’90s

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Jun 7, 2013.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

True, but Rodman's previous comments were the one that started it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067269/1/index.htm

2. dragician

dragician Member

this ain't baseball brother. ;)

3. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

i'm a huge lebron hater, however i don't think he'd be average in that era, he'd be good, but he wouldn't be the best player in the league, nor would he be a HOF player. anyone that thinks rodman wouldn't be good right now is absolutely crazy, rodman despite his on and off the court antics, rodman was one of the best defensive minded players of all time, and he was a monster on the glass and played the game 100 mph for 48 minutes. Of course the bulls would destroy practically any team now a days, pippen and jordan can guard anybody and cause mismatches on both sides of the floor.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

That's the thing: when he's in man-mode. Jordan was always in man-mode.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It was a single conversation in one lockerroom interview. Both Rodman and Isiah were part of that conversation.

Rodman said Bird was overrated (in context of being the GOAT), then Isiah agreed by saying that "if he were black, he'd just be another good guy."

It was Isiah's comment all the way. Rodman wasn't going to cut Bird down to "just another good guy" status (and didn't), because he was the one having to guard Bird, not Isiah. Rodman just said he's didn't agree with the GOAT comments.

#45 heypartner, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

As you see in the quotes I made in the previous post, Rodman was the first one bring up larry bird being overrated because he was white. Zeke added to that with the original quote I mentioned first that I mistakenly thought was Rodman. But make no mistake, Rodman started the racial comments.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rodman also said Kim Jong Un was a good human being.

[​IMG]

8. heypartner

Yeah that's cool. You corrected who said what. I didn't really chime into to say you were wrong or whatnot, I just don't like Isiah much and I want him to own that statement.

I much more respected rodman in that era. The difference between their statements is rodman's was largely correct. Isiah's was completely inaccurate and only a p***y like him would say that after they lost a game seven

Rodman said. He's overrated as a GOAT because he's white
    Isiah said. He'd just be a good player if he were black

Big difference

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Hand checking was legal then thats all I am saying about this.

10. heypartner

But that was offset by eliminating illegal defense rules. This becomes a circular argument. I'm not saying this because i agree with the OP article or not. I'm merely saying eliminating illegal defense was huge.

11. amaru

amaru Member

I can think of one guy who takes him seriously enough to respond :cool:

12. what

what Member

I don't think Lebron would be an AVERAGE player, but at the same time, what I think rodman means is that in the 80s and 90s, there were a dozen or so players ON THE LEVEL (and some even better) than Lebron, whereas, in the NBA TODAY there isn't anybody other play Durant that is even in the same league with the 80s and 80s players.

13. trowa2

trowa2 Member

lets be realistic here. ppl in the 90s era would be so useless here. they dont know how to defend for **** without fouling

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's pretty obvious that the rule changes has favored perimeter players over post players during which Jordan dominated. Illegal defense hurt players like Yao a hell of a lot more than Lebron.

15. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

He would definitely be above average.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Funny you mention Durant, I don't think he'd be nearly as good a few decades ago when defenders got away with a lot more contact. He'd probably be stronger though.

LeBron would be good because he's so strong.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But hand checking would not affect LeBron that much. He is stronger than a lot of PFs, let alone perimeter defenders.

Also, defenses nowadays are more effective because scouting is a lot more sophisticated now.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Never know if you might be that way too later taking up for "your" era when later the "Star Player drafted in 2020 the BEST EVA" talk springs up and YOUR time is FORGOTTEN lol

Its not so much just hate and elitism. Its older folks don't like change and increased irrelevance. So they (think they) have to talk up their time with more exaggerated tone to have the memories register with people.

In order for people to pay attention to past product, you gotta turn them away from the current, and the most effective way to get anyone to see alternatives is put in their head that they're following an inferior product.

Though I don't know why you have to put down current era when saying your era is better. There's not much reason to say today "sucks" since your era is already better so then why's it matter.

19. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

This picture is hilarious

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

haha lebron whines to influence the refs, in a more physical era, he could use his vast physical advantages to barrel through defenders, and mug people on defense, they call him a king today but in the 80's, he'd have been a god.