1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who cooks in your house?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. edwardc

edwardc Member

So true most women like a man that can cook.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I take it you're not married, young and love Ramen. You'll grow up one day kid.

1 person likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My wife is a chef, but I do most of the cooking at home.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I've heard that from several people so I guess it is therapeutic.
    I can't cook at all, my father never cooked so I guess I followed
    his footsteps, but after hearing several members of the garm
    say that they know how to cook I am going to try to at least get
    in the kitchen when my wife cooks. Who knows I may actually
    have a hidden talent that I'm not aware of.

5. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Usually McDonalds

6. updawg

updawg Member

I do most of the time. I enjoy it. I grew up never cooking for myself but now it's fun. I enjoy learning new stuff, especially when it works out well My wife is probably slightly better but she makes such a huge mess that it drives me crazy. I do all the grocery shopping as well so that kind of drives it also

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

my dad never helped my mom, she did (and does) all the cooking, grilling, cleaning, etc. he just expects to be served. she always told me to get a guy who helps out sometimes. frankly i don't LOVE cooking but i would cook for my SO if they made more money than me. if we made the same, i'd expect him to help out - either make the food or clean up afterwards. i've pretty much come to terms with the fact that i'll never meet someone who actually LIKES cooking and doesn't view it as some lowly female chore, but there's something sweet about someone willing to chop up veggies next to you. i guess i'm spoiled, my best friend and her husband are always talking excitedly about new recipes to try, and they go shopping and cook new meals together. it all boils down to wanting to be a man's partner, not their mommy.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Real man know how to cook, not let some bimbo thrown in a steak on a hot pan and call it dinner.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I grill, and do almost all of the cooking when we go camping. The wife pretty much does all of the other cooking. She cleans the mess, spills, and splashes from the cooking. I do the dishes. It's pretty fair and even I think. She's an excellent cook, and I love her food.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Neither of my parents know how to cook or have the desire to. As a result, I rarely have a homecooked meal. One less thing I have to adjust to in college.

I'm determined to not only learn how to cook, but find a wife who can to.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Too many people - in both genders - aren't partners. It's ridiculous how dependent people get.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My wife does most of the cooking because she's better at it than me. I try to help but she just tells me I'm in the way, so there you go.

Only time I'm in charge of the meal is if a grill is involved.

If she cooks, then I'll clean up afterwards and if I grill, she's clean up afterwards. Just sort of an unspoken rule that seems to work pretty well.

13. JuanValdez

What does money have to do with it? I expect some guys to have attitudes like that, but I didn't expect to see a woman type it. It makes me worry for you. It's also surprising to see that you don't expect to meet someone who likes to cook in a thread where so many male posters say they like to cook.

2 people like this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I really don't think the amount of money someone makes comes into play as much as you think. I make almost twice as much as my wife, and I do all the cooking. She does 100% of the cleaning though.

I should add though that we normally get take out, so its not like I'm cooking daily. That may change though with the baby.

#34 Harrisment, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

duh, all the good ones are taken.

and like it or not, it is about money for me. let's just say, I don't want to get stuck in a situation where i'm the breadwinner AND expected to cook for someone without any help, ever. my dad made a lot of money while my mom was a SAHM for several years, so she was fine with that setup. I would expect a man to cook and clean if he was a SAHD. the thought process of someone who doesn't want to feel taken advantage of in future relationships.

16. updawg

updawg Member

Money doesn't matter. It usually works out by who has time and how schedules are

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Both of us. We eat separately quite a bit though.

18. JuanValdez

That's true. I'm married. :p

A stay-at-home thing is a bit different than unequal pay though. If someone isn't working at all, it might be reasonable that they take up an greater share of household chores. But, if two people are busting their asses at full-time jobs, I don't see that it should matter which one is compensated better for the time. At the end of the day, you're both tired and you both have to eat. I have to think you can find someone who can see the common sense in that.

19. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I probably do 99% of the cooking in our house. I work at home and can get dinner started while working and on breaks. By the time my wife picks up our kid from daycare, dinner is ready and we can get through our night pretty easily. This schedule works out pretty well us.

20. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Agree with this. Do people actively think about how much they make in comparison to their spouse? Is that a factor in deciding who does the chores? Seems a little off.

We split the chores, pretty close to 50/50. Some weeks I do more, some weeks she does more.

I'm not concerned about being taken advantage of because I trust her. I wouldn't marry someone who would take advantage of me.