1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Thought this post was pure hogwash until I saw the username. Are you sure???

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thank you Aleron.

I didn't see in notice (2) the 42.14% instead of 44.74% of BRI used for calculations of player max salaries.

We would still be $158,692 under the cap in the same scenario of sending out T-Rob and stretching White.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

FD, Graz on the second rep bar. You're climbing up the Clutchfans rankings ;)

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Oh wow! Thanks for that basketballholic.

I didn't realize Smith was partially guaranteed for 50% next season.

Nice pick-up. It makes things more difficult.

5. basketballholic

ahhh, you're right. So stretching White should work at $58.5 million while waiving Smith and Anderson.....and Ohlbrecht....and trading TRob.

That would be worst case. Will not come to that.

(Keep this in mind. If Brooks and Delfino are still Rockets come July 1, Morey is working on a sign and trade for Dwight using the +$5 million rule.)

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Yeah, I think some of us just forgot GSmith is actually moving into his third yr haha. Would the Brooks/Delfino thing work? Or rather, isn't that a huge risk? LAL could then just screw us later on and not do a SnT right?

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for the link Horoo.

I've been using Basketball Reference but looks like Shamsports is more detailed for contracts.

Yes, Smith's contract is fully UGUARANTEED for next season so my original calculations were correct as far as Smith is concerned.

8. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So, who are we most likely going to be letting go as far as the team options/non-guaranteed contracts? Everybody but Bev?

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

yep, you're not allowed to talk about future contracts while already contracted unless they're an extension, they can talk to him sure, but not about his next contract, I believe once the season finishes, that becomes highly controlled rule wise though.

That's why Lebron James, even Wade had to go through any sort of meeting with their incumbent after free agency started.

#1909 Aleron, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

If we don't waive Brooks and Delfino on June 30th and depend on a S&T, we would lose our leverage.

I think we need to go the sign Dwight outright route to maximize our chances of success. I hope we can re-sign Garcia and Delfino later to Room Exception (2.6m) and Vet Min respectively.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Garcia, Delfino, Brooks, G.Smith, Anderson, Ohlbrect.

Basically ALL non-guarantees except Parsons and Beverley.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Waiving Smith would be a huge mistake..he is a very serviceable backup center at only 890k..and don't forget if we waived Smith..extra 490k would be counted towards cap so not much space can be cleared..

13. jja620

jja620 Member

14. Vthaker

Vthaker Member

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Yes, but I mean if it must be done...the alternative is for Howard to agree to a ~$900k paycut. Maybe he will, but assuming he doesn't, we may have to waive Smith (along with most of the others) to offer him the max under the $58.5M cap. Already waiving and stretching White, so not many other options left outside of trying to move TJones or DMo (may be hard to do at the start of free agency).

16. slestack11

slestack11 Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rudolph:

T.J. Simers catching up with Dwight. Anything new with Howard?

He's matured. He's more patient. He's surrounding himself with good people. People that aren't telling him what he wants but what he needs to hear.

New people in his life?

There are some new people around Dwight. Not as many people. He knows who he can trust in his circle. He can trust himself. He can trust the decision. This is a job interview. He has to take the best job possible. His people will support him wherever he goes. He has to make the best decision based on basketball. This will be Dwight choosing best for Dwight.

What about Dan Fegan?

This will be Dwight choosing best for Dwight. Fegan works for Howard last I knew.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This is good news.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here is what I would expect the team is trying to accomplish-

Non-Guaranteed- Draft night trades

-Delfino
    -Brooks

Non-Guaranteed/Team option- Waived

-Garcia
    -Ohlbrecht

If they do not find a trade suitor for Delfino/Brooks on draft night, look for both of those players to be waived.

Which leaves the Rockets with 38.48 mil in salary with Thomas Robinson traded or 42 mil with Thomas Robinson.

-If the Rockets are able to successfully trade Robinson that leaves them with roughly 20 million in cap space.

I'm not exactly sure what Dwights 1st year salary is, but I've heard that its right at 20 million.

In that case, if they needed an extra few hundred thousand dollars, the stretch provision would be perfect to use on Royce Whites salary to waive and stretch.

............................................................................................

So my take is that assuming the Rockets can trade Thomas Robinson, there is no need to waive Smith, or James Anderson. Those two players will be vital to the teams success next season... especially James Anderson who will most likely be in a very important role backing up Harden and Parsons.