1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA Today article: Player value (inc. Rockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AGBee, Mar 18, 2003.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

USA Today has an interesting article on player's values based on performance vs salary.

Player value ranks

Posey, Griffin, Francis, Yao and Mobley were rated as "best buys",
    Cato, Taylor, and Rice are overpriced, while Hawkins and Moochie are "priced right".

I'm sure there is a disagreement with at least one of the ratings :)

2. choujie

choujie Member

I don't know how they determine performace rank on a team. Shaq's performance rank is 4, which means his performace is the 4th best on Lakers, How can that happen?

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

cuttino mobley's preformance is ranked 1 over steve. That show all the cat haters how valuable cat is.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Jackson, Jim $791,341 BEST BUY

:eek:

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Doesn't it seem like this would be better if it were done across the board rather than by team.

6. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Heh....

Well they are right about Cato, Taylor, and Rice. They are overpaid.

Posey was rated as a best buy...but next year......he will be making more....and won't be a best buy.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Penny Hardaway, Scottie Pippen, Ilgauskas, Juwan Howard are all priceless?

8. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

That just shows how ignorant USA Today is. In the past, he scored more than Francis on a consistent basis, but that doesn't mean he performed better. I thought Francis got a new contract and now gets paid more than Mobley. I could be wrong. But if Mobley IS getting paid more than Francis, then that's pretty screwed up.

9. proteuskim

proteuskim Member

Juwan Howard is not worth 20+ mil. and definitely not priceless

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not totally surprised Shaq is #4 because he missed many games. But Cat $1? mpg must be very important in their formula.

And, yes, I think doing it team by team is pretty lame. Shoulda made it across the board.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

This has got to be the one of the stupidest ways to judge players. What a load of crap.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Francis' new contract doesn't start until next season, so he is still on his rookie contract right now, I think he gets around 4 million, Cat gets about 5 million.

13. evild3ad

evild3ad Member

I think it's funny that Dallas is paying 11 million for Nick Van Exel who is nothing but a glorified bench player. Cuban has money leaking from his fricken ears.

Other guys in the overpriced category that I totally agree with..

Maurice taylor getting 7 million??
    Glen rice at 9 million?

Sheesh. I know where all our money is going towards now, but I have to be fair in saying that they have helped this team a whole lot during clutch time.

I think it's funny Jay williams is getting 3.4 million too. He plays like he's worth $500,000.

14. evild3ad

evild3ad Member

Another thing, I don't agree with Shaq as being overpriced if anything he's priceless. He's what carries the Lakers to the championship not Kobe. By himself Kobe wouldn't be able to carry a team anywhere, Shaq is still the foundation.

Jalen Rose, Scottie Pippen, ILgauskus, Antwan Jameson, Keith Van horn, Hardaway, Juwan Howard, Eddie Jones don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as priceless.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shaq is overpriced because he took his "sick leave" after he took his "vacation" on company time. :p

16. evild3ad

evild3ad Member

Maybe this year but if you look at the big picture Shaq is still what earned the Lakers those 3 rings. No way in hell could it have been done without him. That's why that ranking is silly, the output for a year only tells so much.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

This seems more like that per 48 minute stat. Interesting, but its not really telling an accurate story.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yet, three of those "over-priced" players (Cato, Rice, and MoTaylor) are making significant contributions to the success of the team this season (especially down the stretch drive)...

19. supermagichero

It is interesting that most MVP contenders are priceless or overpaid. :D

Garnett, Kevin Minnesota Timberwolves 1 1 0 $25,200,000 PRICELESS
    McGrady, Tracy Orlando Magic 2 1 1 $12,072,500 PRICELESS
    Bryant, Kobe Los Angeles Lakers 2 1 1 $12,375,000 PRICELESS
    Nowitzki, Dirk Dallas Mavericks 3 1 2 $10,067,750 PRICELESS
    O'Neal, Shaquille Los Angeles Lakers 1 4 -3 $23,571,429 OVER PRICED
    Webber, Chris Sacramento Kings 1 4 -3 $14,343,750 OVER PRICED

20. AGBee

AGBee Member

The system is really jacked up, although you can't really argue with how it ranked the Rockets players.

Like a lot of the other artificial stats, they try to paint a more complete picture but end up missing the point entirely in some cases.