1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

We're getting duh white
    We're getting duh white
    Championship is com ing
    Championship is com ing

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Asik is gone, you guys. The Rockets will try to give Howard 90 to 100 million and like you guys said, Howard and Asik won't be able to play together.
    PG Jeremy Lin/ Patrick Beverly
    SG James Harden/ Carlos Delfino
    SF Paul Pierce/ Carlos Delfino/ Chandler Parsons
    PF Chandler Parsons/ Terrence Jones
    C Dwight Howard/ German dude
    I hope i'm wrong at Power Forward, and if Pierce comes, I hope he plays off the bench but that's unlikely.

3. santamaria14

santamaria14 Member

This article really gave me hope. CBS is credible, Dwight has yet to commit to resigning with the Lakers, and if Dwight really is intrigued by Houston, Daryl Morey will make a pitch that will be very hard to refuse. I'd say the chances of landing Dwight are increasing by the day. :grin::grin::grin:

4. santamaria14

santamaria14 Member

You put Parsons twice.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do think McHale would try to make it work. Of course its worth a shot, and the coaching staff would have a full training camp to try it out.

However, Im not going to be using Greg Smith's success in the starting lineup as an indication of Howard/Asik's potential success. I'd have to see it first to believe it.

Greg Smith is more of a true traditional PF anyways, and the offense did struggle slightly even though the defense improved.

Most "Twin Towers" units before have always had one of the bigs able to play out high. I personally think that even if they were to start the game together, they would still have to play the majority of their minutes separate.

25 minutes a game for each player is slightly low I get that, and Howard would most certainly get closer to 30 - 35. However, Im just wanting people to realize the luxury it would be to have both of their minutes cut down dramatically to help with the fast paced offense, and also cut back on injury risk.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

He was a beast.....4 years ago.

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

But think about it, how many players are going to want to play with an unproven, still fairly new the the league point guard leading the ball down the floor? You have dwight - Proven, Harden - Proven, Asik - Proven, Smith - Proven, Parsons - after his playoff performance - Proven. Lin - did ok, but not proven especially with all the hype that came behind his linsanity coming over there.

Every championship caliber team has an experienced, Proven pointguard. I dont think players are going to be happy playing with Lin starting running the point. Also, we could use the cap space. i'm sure if we would attract another pointguard to would want to jump ship over to us in exchange for Lin.

After all i think it would work out in his favor because a team that needs a star and a PG lin could run the show himself, and to show if Linsanity still exists.

8. seahawk

seahawk Member

Some "fans" would give you an ipad just so they can get rid of Lin.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all respect due, I really dislike members who appear to care only about one player. You view this as a chance to "help" Jeremy Lin, and I can't think of a more bizarre comment to make. Either that, or you see this as a chance to get rid of Lin for a reason I find equally bizarre.

1 person likes this.
  10. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

I've never seen a fan of Mario Chalmers on here before. You must be delusional or this is your first season of watching basketball.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

The Credibility of Sources

I know about editorial standards having studied and formerly worked in the publishing industry for a number of years. Generally speaking, the bigger the corporate media organisation, the higher the editorial standards. CBS as a TV network would represent higher integrity (with regards to sources) than a local cable company (CSN), than a blog, than a fan forum.

From the numerous reports and social media chatter, we can assume that Howard's inner circle has been talking. I would not dismiss the CBS article as pure speculation or having sourced the information from Clutch Fans.

How the trade will work

The max Howard can sign with anyone not the LA LAkers is 4/88 at 20.5m cap hit in the first year. The only reason Houston would entertain a sign and trade for Howard is if they wanted to clear a cap space for another big signing (J.Smith). I doubt J.Smith plays a major role in Howard's decision, less than 1% I said before and I'll stick with that. Indications are that Houston is moving to sign Howard outright by freeing the needed cap room (not that difficult to do).

I believe Houston will sign Howard straight up because it doesn't need to, or want to, give away any pieces. In any event, I believe that it is very clear the word is out from both camps (Houston and Howard) that they are serious about the move to Houston.

The Power Forward conundrum

The question about Houston's starting line-up and who will play the power forward position is quite interesting. I understand some people in this forum cannot fathom the idea of Howard playing power forward for a number of reasons. The most credible reasons (IMHO) are that Asik and Howard both play in the paint and will clog up the driving lanes for Lin, Harden and Parsons.

It was reported Howard "likes the idea of playing next to Asik". I think this scenario is like to happen as I've posted in various threads throughout this forum. Let me gather my inklings and present them here.

1) Howard was a PF when he entered the league. He believes he is a natural power forward (albeit without a jumpshot), and would rather not play as an undersized center. (see his comments on Hakeem's training video). He was forced to play center in Orlando and didn't like it or his coach, always complaining he wanted a true center to help inside, despite his dominating all centers in the league.

2) Houston Rockets organisation do not want to trade Asik. It has been clear that Houston's FO are really BIG on Asik and believe he has tremendous upside. They are so big on Asik that they probably think Asik > J.Smith.

3) Key people connected to the Rockets think the twin towers of Asik and Howard can work, most notably Kevin McHale the coach. McHale has the experience (Parish) and expertise of playing two big men. His philosophy has always been to "go with the pieces you have and create a system they can excel in".

Hakeem Olajuwon is Howard's personal trainer ("Sensei"). Olajuwon also knows how to play with another big (Sampson). If you watch Hakeem's training video with Howard, you get the impression Hakeem is convinced Howard can develop the post moves and mid-range game Hakeem was famous for. Morey would have done the due diligence an interviewed Hakeem about Howard's game.

4) There are many examples of two big men being able to operate together in the history of the game and even in today's league. The most apt recent example being Gasol (C) and Howard (PF) at the Lakers in 2012/13 going on a 28/12 run after the all-star break to capture the 7th seed in the West. Some analysts believe this was due to moving Howard to the outside for pick and rolls with Kobe and allowing Gasol to play the low post more often.

The Likelihood of Howard signing with Houston

My thoughts on this have been very clear so let me just quickly run through the main points:

- Howard is a good fit for the Rockets (low post presence on a young talented team)

- Howard wants to challenge for a championship in the next 3 years, something that is increasingly unlikely in LA.

- Howard believes there is another max contract in him and will likely use his player option after the 3rd year to opt out and sign a new max at the age of 30. (before a possible new CBA shakeup).

- He can play for a coach McHale who can develop his game and create a system that allows him to thrive. He can also be close to his "sensei" Hakeem Olajuwon and honor his legacy.

- The money is a wash. With no state taxes in Houston and no Millionaire's tax, the money Howard is leaving on the table in LA is negligible.

I reiterate my percentages from a few weeks ago...

Houston 45%
    Lakers 40%
    Other 15%

2 people like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Do we have Lebron, Wade and Bosh?

13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Dwight, send us an iPad first detailing how you will play for us, how you think you'll play alongside Harden et al., minutes expected, etc. We'll take it from there.

And while at it, make a note with digital signature that you will not change your mind. :grin:

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

when you have 3+ all stars on one team much like miami and LA have been in the past, it takes a LOT of heat and pressure off their PG. and chalmers while he isn't the best, he's experienced and knows how to take care of the ball.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

If you dont find it bizzare having an inconstant, unexperienced sophomore running a championship caliber team with Proven stars/allstars/superstars is okay and we have a chance of winning a championship with that, then i dont know what to tell you.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Overall, not true. He's been a beast EVERY year BESIDES this past year, because of well known injury issues.

Its only the injury thats a concern. And really it shouldnt be THAT much a concern because Howard has only missed 25 games his entire CAREER.

Actually should be HAPPY to even say that. What we DON'T WANT is for Howard to have been the SAME beast on the Lakers, or we wouldnt even be having all this discussion about him.

The best thing that can happen for the Rockets is Howard being hurt 1 year and messing things up for himself and everyone else. Then coming to the Rockets and rebounding. Because if Howard regroups to even 90% of the usual Howard and stays on the Lakers, it still makes them a decent team to have to worry about in the West. He needs to sign with Houston, or go out East to Atlanta.

#136 Shroopy2, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  17. thekad

thekad Member

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Asik started hitting 3s consistently. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him if Dwight comes, at least until the deadline.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Lin will get better. He had a lot on his plate this year. In a year where you had so many players exceeding expectations Lin almost seems like a failure. Truth is, he had a decent year all things considered.

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketblood713

Why do some of the clutch fans go and troll the lakers board I thought we were better then that I was looking at it and just reading about what they were saying about this Dwight thing I was like WTF we look like some lames doing that sh** man ...

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a> Amazingly, Rockets could add a THIRD star to Harden, Dwight, Parsons (cap hold) in 2015! That's IF they don't improve via trade.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/336308572017291265" data-datetime="2013-05-19T21:33:06+00:00">May 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>