1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks made right decision signing Felton over Lin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BullRider, Apr 23, 2013.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Felton might be the slowest and most over weight point guard in the league.

2. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

3. Mr. Space City

hill has a higher PER and WS per 48 than lin

4. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Felton had a better season, pre all-star, post all-star, post-season...any metric you can come up with anyone with un-bias opinions can tell you that Felton had a pretty good year. I would still take Lin over Felton based on potential but that's not saying much because Lin has been average even post all star and Felton will never be a all star.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

exactly looking up stats on espn.com isn't watching games.

6. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

So you're going by eye-test.

7. hlcc

hlcc Member

don't forget the pacers play at a much slower pace than the rockets

8. nappdog

I've seen a equal amount of Felton and Lin games this year and Felton came up big for the knicks this year. If we didn't have Lin this year, I've bet we still would've made the playoffs. I'd still take Lin based on potential though.

9. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Felton and Lin had comparable years, albeit Felton is much cheaper. The Rockets paid for potential...though arguably Lin is already earning his $8m and Felton is underpaid based on this year alone.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We would have never poison-pilled the Knicks for Lin if we knew that we would have had a chance at Harden a month or 2 later.

Yet still we have a young player with good potential to grow. Hopefully over the offseason they both can learn to mesh and play well together, which I'm sure they will.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are you sure?

http://www.basketball-reference.com...sum=0&p1=linje01&y1=2013&p2=feltora01&y2=2013

Per 36 minutes, Lin had more points, more assists, more steals, more blocks, more rebounds. Lin had better FG%. Lin had much higher TS% and eFG%. Lin was better at ORtg and DRtg, and a much higher WS/48.

In short, Lin was better than Felton in almost every significant category except TO.

And this is counting Lin's pretty bad performance in the first half of the season. If you just looked at the last 3 months, Lin completely blew Felton away.

It's mind boggling how people still believe Felton had a better season.

#111 Easy, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Felton had the better first half and Lin had the better second half of the season going by my eye test =). Felton definitely had to better post season though.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Huh? Rockets would have operated the same with or without Harden. Lin was the best value at PG at the time they signed him. Lin is a very big part of the Rockets future.

Penetrating is a very important skill. The Rockets weren't able to integrate having two guys that can penetrate. A large part of this falls on Lin for not having developed a good off the ball game.

14. Mr. Space City

i said hill not felton

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I read your post wrong.

Anyway, this thread is about Felton.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

IMO, we wouldn't have went after Lin, digging for stars, if we knew Harden would soon become available.

Their styles of play clash (both P&R, slashers) and neither play good enough defense to make up for the others inadequacy's on that side of the ball.

Someone with Beverley's skill set would fit better with Harden in the backcourt. Along with the driving to the lane, he plays D very well, and can hit the spot up 3 pointer also.

Like you said his game needs to develop off the ball, which is pretty much what I got to at the end of my post, which is hopefully both can learn to play fluidly sharing the same backcourt together.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think felton gives you 90% of what lin gives you for 1/2 the price.

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

morey disagrees with you since he said it himself that we wouldn't be in the playoffs without jeremy and he is ranked third on the team in terms of contribution to wins behind harden and asik.

you can debate all day long what he really meant or if he's being honest at all but i see no reason for him to volunteer this info unprovoked.

19. nappdog

A lot of Lin's poor play can be blamed on the system as well. He was forced to be a low-turnover, i.e. non-aggresive, catch and shoot PG which is not his style.

20. nappdog

Just a difference of opinion so I'd gladly admit Morey is probably right in that we would have never made the playoffs without Lin. But since this thread is about Felton as well, have you watched a lot knick games in this year or are you just comparing stats?