1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 13, 2013.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Hypothetically speaking, what is Lin's trade value? I want to know what you guys think.

I feel that teams realize his potential, but are not willing to take the risk with his hefty contract.

This guy is pretty cool, I follow him on twitter, and he is always answering questions from his followers. Here's one response that someone asked him that pertains to this question.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/mrclutch1994">mrclutch1994</a>: Lin's trade value is extremely low? -&gt; Yes, the cash part of the deal is ugly when his paycheck jumps from $5.5 to $13 mil</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/333304515187048449">May 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Depends.

He would be attractive to a team like the Pacers, Bucks, or Jazz who aren't very profitable. The non basketball benefits Lin brings would be valuable to them.

As a player, it's low.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually think it is high because of all the outside money he brings in.

4. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

another way to look at this, teams trading him on the last year might pay more but will also make more outside money, plus cap hit will be 8mil.

5. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I'm pretty sure it's at the high end. With a cap hit of only 8 mil and to produce 13/6 at 20% usage AND to generate income outside of the game is going to be a rare find.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ugly.

Sorry, saw it in the tags. :p

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

A fruity pack of bubbalicious... And some skittles

8. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I think he has excellent trade value. Only 8 mil counts toward the cap. His on court performance doesn't deserve 15mil which is what the team will have to pay in the last year of his contract. However they will make a lot more with the market Lin brings. 8 mil is pretty average for his average performance.

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Even if he stays 'average' without improvement, teams would rather pay an 'average' 24/25 year old than older players.

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Still young, elite speed, elite court vision, brings in extra money, good character: not high this year because of the poison pill but next year would be a big expiring.

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

High for a team who can utilize him properly both on and off the court.

12. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Incorrect, "expiring" relates to salary cap implications. His trade value is not high because he only counts as $8.3 on the cap, but you still have to pay him $15 million.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's really hard to gauge IMO. You'd think a team like the Lakers, who might be taking a new direction soon, could use a guy like Lin to fill some seats and generate extra revenue while growing their already popular fanbase overseas. What do they need Nash for at this point? Plus, D'antoni seemed to be a fan of Lin's. The Lakers also have plenty of guys they'd be looking to deal.

Also, I don't think he contract is that bad. It expires relatively soon. I'm sure teams would be interested.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Cuban will want Lin if Dallas can't get Paul

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You promise?

16. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Based on what lol?

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Cuban said Lin will be new Nash.
    I think Lin can be a player(17p/7a),but the team needs to design game plan for Lin who needs the ball

18. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

The poison pill contract doesn't apply to us or any team that trades for him. Any so called nba analysts out there in the media that doesn't know that completely loses credibility from me. I'd unfollow this Steve Kyler nobody if I were you and just stick with guys like Woj.

19. StevieCrossover

Lins value for the rockets playing wise is out the drain. Got to be a ball hog to bring up the value

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

As with all trades not involving superstars, it depends on fit.

The Jazz, Bucks, Pistons, Magic, and Kings are all good "fits". Mid-market, non-playoff (minus Bucks, barely) teams that don't have long term solutions at point guard. Lin would probably improve them enough to justify the move, but his real value will probably be on the $$$ side.

IMO, if you could clear his salary and get back a contributing player with an expiring contract and a good 2nd round pick, you've gotten fair value....unless I've completely underestimated how much money he brings in, then maybe a mid-1st.