1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming Rockets could land any PF, who would you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, May 11, 2013.

?

Which PF do you want on the Rockets?

1. Chris Bosh

98 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Josh Smith

38 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Paul Millsap

17 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Others (list who and why)

111 vote(s)
    39.4%
  5. Patrick Patterson

18 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

i came in here to post this. our ideal pf would be someone like kg (even current kg), but younger. davis has shown mid range potential, and obvious huge defensive potential. he had a very underrated rookie season.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No chance that the Pelicans will give up on him. He would be a good fit for us.

3. Since75

Since75 Member

Demarcus Cousins

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Dwight Howard is a PF. Started his career as a PF.
    And in the original true sense of the position, he is a POWER forward that is a presence down low.

I know our system calls for a stretch 4, and Dwight cant shoot a jump shot, but he is the best PF free agent this year. He's always complained at Orlando being the only presence under the basket and having to play center.

With McHale and the Dream coaching him post moves, Dwight could become one of the all time PFs in the game alongside Malone. And Asik and Dwight twin towers will make us top 5 defence in the league. Defence wins championships!

Finally, Dwight has the best above the rim game in the league. Can you imagine Lin and Harden lobbing passes to him all night long!!??

Dwight at PF would strengthen that position from weakest to one of the strongest.

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard
    Asik

A team to be feared!

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, he's not.

The answer is Kevin Love.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Is Blake Griffin a PF?

Ralph Sampson?
    Dennis Rodman?
    Kevin McHale?

Why do you say Dwight is not a PF? and can play next to Asik.

I think its his natural position. Just because he was so strong and athletic, they moved him to the 5.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

HELL NO! With attitude or with no attitude I don't want him at all. He sucks and he's a crack head. God, I hope you never become a GM.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

LaMarcus Aldridge will be my choice.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes, those guys were and could be PFs.

Of course you could play Dwight at PF. Hell, you could play him at PG if you wanted to, but it doesn't mean he'd be good at it.

I would not want Dwight as a PF because his strengths could be more easily neutralized. Opponents could more easily pull him away from the basket on defense, and since he and Asik have abysmal post-up games it would be hard to make the other team pay for going small when we're on offense.

Plus, such a lineup would make dribble penetration nearly impossible. So our whole offense would have the be changed and Harden's contributions will lessen (probably Lin, too).

Also, I don't think his lateral quickness is where it used to be, and I don't think he could keep up with the more athletic PFs (this argument could obviously be used against KLove, but his abilities on offense are what would be his major contribution). Watching Dwight play this year, he was so lethargic. I didn't see the premier athleticism or explosiveness I used to associate with him.

Howard and Asik both have pretty bad hands. Can you imagine them trying to work together on offense, with one making his attempt at a post/driving move then passing it off to the other? My god. That would be a trainwreck. They're both worthless unless they're a few feet from the basket.

So, you certainly could do it, but I think it would lessen Dwight's biggest contribution (interior D) and lessen Harden's biggest contribution (efficient scoring). And it would make Asik a waste of space on the offensive end of the court. So, no thanks.

Get KLove. Grab dem rebounds, throw dem outlet passes, hit dem 3s, open up the paint for penetration for Lin and Harden, get dem wins.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Antony Davis. He's going to be the best PF in the game in 2 years and he's as good a fit as any other PF within this Rockets roster.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Good points haymitch.

But remember when Lakers got on that role at the end of the season to clinch 7th spot. Its because they worked out the Dwight / Gasol two centers problem. They finally switched Dwight to PF to go outside and do PNRs with Kobe. Dwight is statistically the best PNR big man in the game. Meanwhile, Gasol played the down low and passed the ball out. Yes, we'd have to change our offense but Dwight can play PF with Asik in the Center. Remember, the 6'11" kid straight out of HS got 12/10 as 19y.o. rookie PF. People thought Gasol could play PF but he couldn't, he needed to be in the post and have the ball going through him... he is the pure center.

On defence, you're right, teams could go small but we could also make adjustments. We could go small too with Dwight and Asik alternating at the center and T-Rob or T-Jones at the 4. We could play zone, with quick outside defenders like Beverley, Lin, Garcia and whoever pressuring the shooters. If they drive in, the twin towers are there to swat it. We could play zone with beverley shadowing their best shooter. If the other team go small, they will never get a rebound! Anyways, adjustments can be made.

Lots of teams play with two bigs that don't have post games. Don't think that Howard and Asik can't develop post games with the Dream and McHale coaching them.

I think it can work, twin towers have worked in the history of the game. This line-up is a real possibility...

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard
    Dwight

Love is great but you don't know what he'll be like when he comes back from injury. He didn't play to well last time he returned from injury. He's a big risk to spend max on, could cripple us for the next 5 years.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree because our opinions on this are very different.

Yes, Gasol/Dwight worked at the end of the season, but Gasol has more offensive ability than Asik in his pinky. You said Gasol was able to score down low and pass out, and that is true. But Asik can do neither of those things. So I don't see how their success as a tandem could give us an insight to Asim/Dwight. Plus, that tandem only worked towards the tail end of the season.

In what situation would a team have to adjust to us? Having the two in at the same time clearly hurts us on offense, and only helps on defense as long as we're playing against a team that has two legit post up big men starting alongside one another. Does such a lineup even exist in the NBA?

So if we'd have to change our lineup to having only one of the two big men on the court at the time because the two big man lineup isn't working on offense and only sometimes works on defense, why not only have one of the two? Or just have Asik come off the bench (if, cap wise, that's even possible)?

What contending team has a starting PF and C who both have zero offense beyond 3 feet of the basket? I'm drawing a blank.

And I do think that Howard and Asik cannot develop a post game, even with the help of Dream and McHale. I don't know why Dwight would suddenly develop an offense after stagnating for years. And Asik is what he will be. I don't see him hitting sky hooks or Dream Shakes in the future.

But I will agree that Love's injuries should be a concern. So if the Rockets training staff says/thinks he's too big of a risk, that's fine with me. I just have wet dreams at the possibility of him joining the team, so until he's ruled out, I will keep lobbying for it.

#92 Haymitch, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  13. santamaria14

santamaria14 Member

Dwight Howard is not a power forward, he's a center through and through. Dwight would not guard Josh Smith, Ryan Anderson, Ersan Ilyasova, etc.

My choice as our PF would be Smith or Love because we desperately need defense and/or rebounding. Aldridge is a more offensive player, Love and Smith already have the 3-point shot as a part of their game and one is a great shot-blocker and stretch defender and the other is the best rebounder in the game. Just my opinion.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, Josh Smith will shoot the 3. That is true. But he doesn't often make the 3. He makes about one 3-pointer every 3 games for his career, so I think opposing teams would give him the 3 all day long.

Last year was better, but still not good. He made 61 3-pointers in 76 games, but shot only 30%. Again, better, but not exactly a sharp shooter.

Kevin Love on the other hand can make 1.5/game and shoot 40%. That's a pretty significant difference. On defense, of course, Smith is way better than Love. But on rebounding, Love once again is superior. So while both are definite upgrades from what we currently have, I would say Love is the better player and better fit.

15. AB-4-3

AB-4-3 Member

I'm surprised Kevin Love is not a choice

16. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Larry Sanders.

/thread

17. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Julius Randle

Will be the best PF for a good 10 year stretch. Kid is incredible

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Surprise that no one saw that.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Serge Ibaka would be perfect in our system. Does not require a max contract. Can run the floor, hit the j, and is a great weakside help defender to complement asik.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dirk Nowitzki or Aldridge would work for me.