1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

+H€ dW|ghT hOWaRd paTT€rN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 10, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FYI, the Rockets could always sign Garcia for up to $2.652 million using the Room Exception. It's the one "mid-level" salary cap exception that an under-the-cap team still has at its disposal.

2. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Apparently, Dwight has made it clear that he does not want to play at home. It would make him unhappy.

------This statement was made to focus more on the basic abstract of being happy/unhappy. He's said before that he does not want to play at home. I read about Dwight and his father but read nothing about that playing into the decision. But, it might.... I'm just making a stab at it based on public knowledge or hearsay. We know that Dwight doesn't want to play in the ATL and we know he's reconnected with pops...but we don't know if pops is trying to get him to play in the ATL...

I believe ATL is out of play but the desire to play with his best friend would be enticing, as it would be to everyone. Imagine working somewhere with a best friend? It makes things more tolerable.

I agree, FD, that it plays very little into where D12 goes if his BFF is there. BUT.........it might......even if but a little, it might. But youre right, the percentages are low that it becomes a factor.

With that said, I still feel ATL is out simply because it is a 'If.....THEN...." response and those are not responses that excite anyone involved.

What I meant by If...THEN was more along the lines of not wanting to play for the ATL....but.....IF they can do this and IF they can do that...THEN, I could maybe go there. 'If she's pretty and if she's got money then...I'll talk to her.' In essence, it means that you don't really want to talk to her, if that makes sense. Bad analogy, I know. I'm applying the IF/THEN to ATL because he's had numerous chances to go home and play and he's not wanted to. Dad might help but I don't feel it. Now, CP3 or JSmith might be a pretty good IF/Then statement. I was just basing it on happiness vrs unhappiness alone. I assumed both teams would find the money.

I can go with your odds of Houston 45%, LA 40%, Atlanta 15% very easily....

Good points, Fair Dinkum....and well voiced, I might add. Looking forward to seeing if it plays out like it was SUPPOSED to play out last year. ;)

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

2 people like this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Here we go again...

4. basketballholic

Doc Rocket acknowledges it was supposed to go down last year. Here comes all the naysayers. But once again........Doc Rocket is right. And yes, there was plenty of inside info out there.

5. thekad

thekad Member

Nothing needs to be said. Dwight ended up in LA, not Houston and everyone with a clue knew it would go down that way.

"Doc Rocket is right" except almost all the time.

6. basketballholic

That was the easy side to take. But people in the know understand just how close we were to getting him.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My first thought was "How did a thread with that title get four stars?"

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Just using Asik's contract, if Atlanta allowed it, couldn't a $54m 4 year s&t be done?

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but under the current CBA

- A team in luxury tax (Lakers) cannot S&T a player.
    - There is no extra year for a S&T. So Lakers cannot sign Dwight to 5/117, it will be the same as Houston sign Dwight outright 4/88. So there is no incentive for Dwight to S&T.

I'm not sure how these rules apply to the Josh Smith trade scenario but imagine its the same, no incentive for Smith to S&T.

Can anyone confirm my understanding of the CBA? BIMA?

10. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Anyone know what was last years proposed deal for Howard supposed to be?

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, we are going all in for Dwight, even if that potentially means trying to get Josh Smith to fully convince Dwight, even though Smith isn't necessarily a Morey-type.

I also read Doc's post to mean that we are zeroed in on Dwight and we are not going after him and CP3. Thank God.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

13. Aleron

That's right, the incentive afaik for a Smith s&t would only occur on our end, if Dwight signed, in order to go over the cap to acquire him

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If Dwight decides to sign with us, maybe the Pelicans would want a Anthony Davis/Omer Asik frontline? Asik for Ryan Anderson?

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Anderson
    Howard

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks Aleron for that clarification.

Given that my assumptions about the CBA are true...

A S&T with Josh Smith is unlikely...

1) There is no incentive for Smith, no extra money or extra years.

2) Atlanta has the most cap space of any team, why would they want to help us get Smith. Do they really need or want Asik, Lin or whoever else we throw at them? Its not that easy, they have to want them a lot for this trade to happen.

3) Atlanta may want to resign Smith (although Smith may not want to resign). Pair him with another star like CP3 or whoever they get.

4) Assuming Dwight goes to Houston, a Lakers S&T with Gasol / Smith is much more attractive for Atlanta. Gasol is an expiring contract and fills the PF position Smith would vacate.

So for those dreaming of the Howard / Smith combo via trade with Atlanta, I think its not going to happen. Only way to get Smith would be to create the cap space by trading pieces else where and signing him straight up.

I think that if we get Howard, most likely that's it. We will keep Lin and Asik and add some role players.

16. Aleron

I'm not sure if Smith is a Morey type, obviously his offense isn't idea, but Smith's defense is elite and versatile, and he'd almost be a 5th scoring option on this team.

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think Asik > Anderson
    we would lose out.

18. Aleron

Most of your argument doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dwight and CP3 will be the first players down, just like 2010, until the aces fall, none of the other cards are in play, then everyone starts fighting over what's left.

So what if Atlanta would rather S&T him to LA? A sign and trade stipulates the team the trade is made to, Atlanta has no leverage on that front, they can say yes or no, that's it, that's all, it would essentially come down to "since Dwight and CP3 are off the market, is Asik better than getting nothing?", they wanted him in a Smith trade mid season, so obviously he has value, that has only been increased by his playoff performance (not to mention, the sign and trade can be multi team, so they can be the team to get something they want for Asik).

So
    1) Smith wouldn't care either way
    2) You don't get value or anything close to it in sign and trades, heck Cleveland got a whopping 2 late 1st rounders, a pick swap option for last year (lol) and a 2nd rounder for Lebron James
    3) No one is signing Josh Smith until CP3 (and Dwight) are off the market
    4) So what if Atlanta would prefer that?

19. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Holy ****.

I just jizzed in my pants.

SPLASHHHHHHHH.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

What's so great about Ryan Anderson?