1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013.

1. dantian

dantian Member

again, no to josh smith. too late for him to mature. jj hickson is better and much cheaper.

2. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

What's there to mature? He is a 18ppg/8rpg/3bpg player who is athletic, can play our uptempo style, is a good defender and a great roaming defender.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And 4.2 assists per game.

4. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Weren't we able to give Harden the 5th year because we sent OKC salary to match? Couldn't we do that for Josh Smith or any other player? If so than does it have to be an exact match on salary or is there some leeway since we are under the cap already?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden was going into the final year of his rookie deal and OKC traded him to use so he kept his bird rights.

Josh Smith is now a free agent so he can no longer be traded with his bird rights so no.

Edit: it's also the same reason Dwight Howard can get more money and the extra year in LA but not anywhere else

#125 REEKO_HTOWN, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just a few numbers on Smith from this year

#18 in FGs made
    #19 in FGs attempted
    #17 in Defensive rebounds (Asik #2)
    #11 in Blocks
    #20 in Defensive rating

Here are the guys I would list above him:

LeBron
    Wade
    Bosh
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Rose
    Irving
    Paul George
    Hibbert
    Horford
    Monroe
    Carmelo
    Deron Williams
    Curry
    CP3
    Howard
    Pau Gasol
    Cousins
    Harden
    Mark Gasol
    ZBo
    Parker
    Duncan
    Love
    Aldridge
    Holiday
    Rondo
    Lopez
    Kobe

That puts him in the 30ish range. If Horford + Smith gets the 6th seed in the east, I think Harden + Smith probably gets us the 4th to 6th in the West, ie competing with GS, Memphis and the Clips.

7. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Harden was not a S&T, and he was not a free agent signing. In the Harden case, the Rockets were the incumbent team in control of his contract and bird rights. In the Josh Smith case, the Hawks are the team in control of his bird rights. Only the Rockets were allowed to give Harden a 5th year, just as only the Hawks can give Josh Smith a 5th year.

Harden never reached free agency. Josh Smith will.

If the Rockets wanted to trade for Josh Smith in order to have his bird rights like they do Harden's, they had to do it before the trade deadline. They cannot do it in a S&T (the new CBA closed that loophole). And they cannot offer him a 5yr contract in free agency as a non-bird no matter how much salary space they clear this off-season.

You may not trade bird rights, but you can trade contracts with the bird rights attached. That was what happened with Harden. The Rockets traded for Harden's contract, and the bird rights were attached (those bird rights allowed them to offer a 5th yr). The Rockets can't trade for Josh Smith's current contract, because the season's trade deadline has passed and he will be entering free agency this summer. And while the Hawks retain Josh Smith's bird rights from the end of his contract, they are not allowed to use them in a S&T under the new CBA, nor trade those bird rights to the Rockets disembodied from an actual contract. There is no contract since he will be in free agency.

8. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

This confuses me a bit though. Shouldn't we at least be comparing him to others that play his position? If JSmoove who is a 3/4 was outrebounding Asik, I would be worried for Asik lol.

9. pwnyxpress

Originally Posted by pnr
    I think we go after Pau Gasol for his one year rental. Then next year we go after Love

But Love's not a FA until the season after that. If it is through trade, renting Pau for a yr doesn't seem that important.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

@Old Man Rock

All Smith needs to be taught is better shot selection and better ball movement. The rest of his skills fit right in. Granted I could be wrong about his 3 pt shooting but at second glance I think his game might be what we need. I trust Morey to do his research. if he picks him I am sure we will get the pf we need. Josh Smith could be the stretch 4 we are looking for in a power forward body. But again this a question fill free to disect it.

I agree with this assessment pimpn.

11. Homey the Clown

Hell. No. Talk to Atlanta Hawks fans and they say nothing about this dude has changed, IQ wise. He's still one of the dumbest players in the league. They can't wait till he leaves. Again: Hell. No.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

:grin: Homey The Clown. Love the name. LOL

13. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Seriously dude is he getting arrested for dumb stuff weekly like Titas Young, does he start fights on the court and divide his locker room? He's an allstar 20/10 guy that will solidify our pf position for the next five years (if not traded for Love). Parsons makes self depreciating gay jokes about him and Lin, is he too immature for this team who's average age is 24? Its about talent and he has it, as tough as I just saw this team play the thunder Smith plus a SG like Tony Allen can make us a top five team in the west

14. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

if Houston sign him that will only confirm to me that morey is one of the most overrated gm in nba

15. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Wow 18 pts 8rbs is over rated, how much did our starting pf average again? Exactly, some of you need to get your head out the clouds, Josh Smith would be a sensible addition. The only better options are under contract

16. pwnyxpress

That is your opinion, and you're of course entitled to it. I would disagree. I see a lot of good reasons on why Morey would sign JSmith to a $14M per yr contract.

I think, looking at Morey's whole 'career' objectively, and comparing it to all other GMs of his era, it is very, very difficult to argue that he is not one of the top GMs in the league right now.

17. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Every scenario (Howard, Jefferson, or Smith) has its advantages and disadvantages. He all know what each can and can't or don't bring to the table. Smith is a good player though and will fit in what we have. Yeah we still wont have the post game we need but we will get a great perimeter defender and guy who can run and finish strong on fast breaks. He is as good an option as any imo. Howard would be my top option dispite what he lacks but certainly getting any one of these guys will boost Rockets to next level.

18. pwnyxpress

If I could rep I would. I agree. I think some options are better than others, but are less likely to happen (ex: CP3 + D12, or just one or the other alone). What IS great though is the flexibility Morey has created for this team moving into this (and maybe even next) offseason. Just wow. I haven't been this excited about our future and potential in a long time!

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Are you the Redninja from the Txsports forum???

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed.