1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Want Howard If It Means Losing Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 2, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

As Morey said there's danger in using up cap space to sign 2nd or 3rd tier players like these. It's better to save the cap space flexibility and go for a 1st tier Superstar like Howard and CP3...

2. nicolas

nicolas Member

let's have both !

At first i always tought getting Howard meant trading Asik because you can't have two 7footers with no shooting touch clogging the lane, especially with the players we have and the system we play

Then, watching the postgame show by BBall breakdown i started thinking about it a bit more after hearing the coach say that we could keep both
    What I'd dream us to do is sign Howard, put him in the starting five and have Asik come off the bench
    Like Howard playing 32min and Omer getting the other 16min at the Center position. And against team like the grizzlies/spurs/lakers(thisyear)/Jazz/Blazers we could play both for longer periods (then Asik would play 30+min). Basically any team without a good shooting 4 (bosh/Love) or a small ball team.

Yes our offense would suffer a bit during this streches, but just imaging our defense ! Nobody would take offensive rebonds from us ! NOBODY ! Imagine playing the grizzlies and being able to simply take away their paint game !
    It would be crazy.

Besides, having Asik on the bench you don't have to worry about Howard getting into foul trouble (that alone is HUGE), and by playing them approximately 30min/game you should keep them injury free for the years to come.
    IMO Asik's value wouldn't drop because he proved this year he can be a great starting center and so i think he would be OK coming off the bench (especially if he's playing 25min/game)

Having said that, i still think if you can pack Asik+lin for Chris Paul you've got to do it because of how good CP3 is (but don't see CP3 leaving)

But i'd be so thrilled to have a team with :

Lin/bev
    Harden/lin/
    Parsons/Delfino?
    DMo/TRob-Asik
    DHo/Asik

OMG that would be great !

Go Rockets !

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Oh. Great. Asik is finally dunking the ball. Guess who's one of the best in the league at that already? Guess who still sucks at finishing?

The difference between Howard and Asik is the difference between us being 2-3 and not 3-2 or maybe even 4-1. This is ridiculous, standard, overvaluing the players we have.

4. nicolas

nicolas Member

I really like Parsons, saw him play in France...
    But if he ask for too much money in 2years we could let him go.
    Trust Morey on this one, if he has DH CP3 and Harden on his roster he will fill the roster with great-cheap role players (Delfino/PBev)

I think that's Morey biggest strenght : being able to find very good and cheap role players. Just look at how he let Lee go to Boston last year and replaced him for a much cheaper Delfino.

So my point : if we have CP3 Harden DH don't worry for a minute, we would be a championship caliber team every year

5. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

This.

I like how one of the other members put it: "Asik's ceiling is Howard's floor"

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I watched the BBALL breakdown too and I like your idea. Asik and Howard together would be intimidating and at least we have flexibility with two excellent centers.

1 person likes this.
  7. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

sign asik keep howard

asik
    howard
    parsons
    harden
    lin

smith
    dmo
    jones
    delfino
    beverly

8. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Love is not a star? I'd rather have him and Pekovic than Asik. I think it could make us a contender if we went out and signed a couple nice role players with the extra space we'd have. Only works if Kevin Love counts as that second star, though. Personally, I think he does.

9. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I wouldn't give howard max contract he sucks in off., we don't need starting c we need good back up c who will playing 15min per/g when asik is on bench.

10. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Asik is good enough for me, he is only going to get better in the future. The same can't be said about Horward.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Every GM would take Howard over Asik unless your the Sacramento Kings. Howard is more marketable and brings attention to the franchise. If you sample a group of NBA players, who they rather play with? I'm going to say overwhelmingly will slide toward Howard. I still believe we can put Asik as PF and Howard as C. It would not surprise me if Howard demands Asik be traded as a condition to sign, so he can pad his stats then I would go against getting Howard. If there are any conditions set by Howard as a prerequisite to sign, forget him. He didn't do any prima donna things in LA because he got his wish being traded there and he can't say much because Kobe is a legend with the Lakers. Rockets team should be Howard, Harden, Parsons, Asik, Lin and it should not be Howard, Howard, Howard, Howard, Howard.

12. verysimplejason

I love Asik on this team. I love hardworkers and those who don't mind even if plays are not designed for them. I love those who play with team spirit. I don't like prima donnas. That's why I like Millsap here also. When you are the youngest team, it's always better to let your players grow first. 3 years ago, I might trade Asik with Howard. Now, I'm a bit reluctant. Asik is still young. Let him grow.

13. Sunsfan

Sunsfan Member

I honestly think a healthy Bynum is better than a healthy Howard

14. srrono

srrono Member

Don't hink that roster could fit in salary cap but if it could we would be a Championship dynasty for seevral years.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Yes, you're right. So many things moving parts will have to align perfectly to enable Josh Smith to join CP3 and DH. But both CP3 and DH coming is very doable, especially with the rumours about the league having a 20% rise in revenues making the cap limit $69m and tax limit $79. I'm sure its Morey's plan as he's recently following both on twitter now, I trust he can make a good sales pitch for them to join Harden in H-Town.

Anyways, I think this line-up still has a shot...

Paul
    Harden
    Parsons
    T-Jones
    Howard

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Let's take the homer glasses off for a second and look at this objectively. Howard is at least the 2nd best center in the NBA right now. If we were to get him without giving up any major pieces, you do it every single time. We could make the team even better by trading Asik and other assets for other great pieces.

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Sorry. I missed him. Yes, Kevin Love is a star, after all he's in the NBA Cares commercials. I worry about his injuries and if he can perform coming back from them.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Howard is as he has been for years, the best center in the nba and in recent times by a very long way.

At what point did rockets fans start desiring such mediocrity? When did we become Atlanta?

19. H-Town™

H-Town™ Member

I'm gonna put it this way

Howard has become ... a player who I've lost all respect for after leaving Orlando the way he did, i don't want someone like that on the team .. no matter if he is the best center in the NBA

He'll probably do the same thing he'd be doing at LA which would ruin the chemistry of the team, and we don't want ANY divas on the team.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I remember reading somewhere that there's supposedly a limit in the revenue sharing agreement that limits the cap raises somewhat (but the players still get their share of BRI via the escrow holdings), in laymans terms, the cap will only go up 5% or so, but the player get the rest of their share as effectively a bonus.