1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoping Lin is ready for Weds....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lwlee, Apr 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

2. brick

brick Member

Well said !

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Jeremy should've hid the pain, coaching staff never gonna let him back into the lineup now.
    :grin:

4. jocar

jocar Member

(just stopping by becuz I smelled some pho)

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Thanks for the videos! Very nice! Definitely don't like the divisiveness.

I think you got this wrong, I'm not sure:

"Reverse racism is a term which refers to racial prejudice or discrimination directed against members of one's own race."

6. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

You guys are all acting like H-town is gonna even make it to the next round...and even if they did, there is no way in hell they get past he 2nd round... Let Jeremy start and prep for next year!!

7. allaroundplayer

Please change thread title to "Fri", but I don't want to see Lin play this series because his shooting is too atrocious and he attempts difficult passes too much. If he just plays safe and conservatively possibly he can help for 5 to 10 minutes like McHale said off the bench if Delfino is unavailable.

Brooks has to be ahead of Lin at this point. Brooks is a terror & I don't think we've even seen him play his best yet, but Lin is not going to regain his starting job if the Rockets advance. Beverley is a far better 3-point shooter & rebounder as well as one-on-one player than Lin.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

well said

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

We all know McHale is a "hot hand" type of coach which means I doubt Lin will see much playing time at all if any. Unless of course if Lin gets hot.

10. Drphil

Drphil Member

No, I'm not. I'm from Southern California and I'm no way exaggerating the chain food restaurants over here belonging to Vietnamese Americans. You're getting pretty finicky about this. As another poster has mentioned, food becomes integrated into American culture overtime. That is why I used the words "Is becoming."

11. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Did you get that from Wikipedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_racism
    Because that's one of the only major sources where I see that definition. A lot of the other sources, including definitions and even Wikipedia say: See Reverse Discrimination

You got to be careful when using Wikipedia because there's a lot of trolls on there. I remember when Jeremy Lin first got to the NBA, people keep reverting the "of Chinese" descent to "Taiwanese". Then finally the page got protected since before anything that connected Chinese (including heritage0 and Jeremy Lin was like blasphemy on there.

I usually hear the term Reverse Racism in cases towards White people, especially Affirmative Action, since Affirmative Action is supposed to solve some of the racism from past policies. However, opponents argue that it's being racist towards White, hence it becomes reversed.

While ethnocentricsm is based on the belief that one's culture is superior than the other. It could be nationalism, if it was like Koreans vs Japanese. In the "Asian vs Fob" or "Black vs Hood" examples, those are subcultures and don't really have to do deal with hate based on race but how they act.

Example:

http://racerelations.about.com/od/understandingrac1/a/DoesReverseRacismExist.htm

<iframe width="450" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MdQg7jTXUt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Just Sign & trade for Howard...give Lakers Asik & Lin.. Lakers need to rebuild anyways

13. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I'm not gonna say that this is an outright racist statement, but it is blatantly ignorant and possibly ethnocentric. You do not need to hit some sort of magical percentage threshold to have a culture. Either you don't know what the word culture means or you do not actually understand how a culture is generated.

1 person likes this.
  14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

It's like nobody reads anymore these days.

15. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

I do read..Its just all you H-Town Haters can't appreciate when you have something good. A young team with KEY PIECES IN PLACE and LOH's everywhere. If you can't appreciate the ASSETS H-TOWN has, then trade em where they'll be appreciated. Get it bit ccch?

16. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Re: Whether Lin will play: He's clearly very injured because he couldn't even lift his arm for several days. The medical staff is deciding whether he is fit to play, and the coaching staff has made it clear that, based on his Game 2 and 3 performances, when he is cleared that he will get spot minutes to evaluate how he is doing.

The decision has already been made, and it is a perfectly logical progression. If Westbrook wanted to come back from his surgery early, you don't think the medical and coaching staff would want to limit his minutes to see how his body reacts? This situation doesn't pass the smell test for some sort of anti-Lin conspiracy or subconscious anti-Lin decision-making.

One thing that does bother me about the injury discussion is that more than a few posters have said that it proves that Lin is "soft". The guy played 82 games all year and battled through his own set of injuries just like everyone else on the team. You know his personal history and how much he had to do just to make it in the NBA. And, most importantly, he pushed himself to be on the court after being injured because he wanted to play, even though everyone could clearly see that he was being hampered.

That doesn't make him soft. If anything, that makes him too hardheaded and stubborn. The guy wants to play. He wants to play so badly that the medical staff basically forced him to sit and took the decision out of his hands. Because if he had the choice, he'd be out there playing. Calling him soft in light of all evidence to the contrary speaks more to your own perceptions than it does to his actual character.

Similarly, he's had every opportunity to blame the injury for his poor performances, but he hasn't taken it. He says exactly what you want a professional athlete to say:

So not only is he not soft, but he doesn't take the easy way out and just state the obvious. I think the crazy-ass Lin fans need to think about why he says things like that and why we expect that kind of thinking from guys in his position. He's not looking for excuses or hand-outs. He wants to prove himself in the same way that everyone else proves themselves, and that logic cuts both ways. He has obviously faced some racism in his career, but wanting to get rid of racism doesn't mean that you excuse the things that everyone else has to deal with sans-racism. It means you identify the things that are actually wrong and fix them.

Every athlete on that court deals with injuries, and they all have to work through them the same way. We should all hope that every guy who puts on a Rockets uniform has the fire to want to play through that injury so much that he is forced to sit down by the medical staff, and has the professionalism not to blame that injury when he doesn't perform well. There's a reason that everyone is turning on Derrick Rose, and it has nothing to do with his talent or his skill. I wonder if the same people who call Lin "soft" would also call Rose "soft"? Because there's way, way more proof that Rose actually is scared to play.

Here's the one thing that bothers me the most: I don't understand why we are even having the argument about whether Jeremy Lin is "good enough" to start. It's a non-question. He's been the starter on this team for the entire season, and he has put up the numbers to prove that he is an NBA-caliber starter. If your first argument is that "Lin isn't any good", then I'm sorry, but you are starting from such an obviously untrue position that the rest of us have no reason to believe that you are arguing in good faith. At that point, you are just rationalizing whatever your beliefs are, so we have no reason to engage with your opinions.

However, if you really think that Brooks and Beverley have proven in less than a handful of games against a single team that they are a better option than Lin, then you need far better proof than just random words about speed, quickness, and "energy". (In addition, if you believe that they are actually better point guards than Jeremy Lin based on the past few games, but you discount Lin's own performance when he first came out, then I'm going to say point blank that you really need to do some self-reflection on why you think that would be true.)

My problem with stuff like energy and quickness is all of that is so open to subjectivity and interpretation that it becomes far too easy to rationalize the type of discrimination that guys like Lin and, yes, Beverley have had to overcome. Lin isn't quick? What about the fact that, based on actual measurements of player positions on the court, he has the quickest acceleration of any player in the NBA? In the argument of your eyes vs. lasers in the ******* sky shooting laser beams and measuring with lasers, then the badass laser system wins every time. Beverley too short? Well, how do you account for the fact that he still manages to get rebounds? At what point are you valuing physical height too much and other factors (jumping, the ability to predict where the ball will fall, boxing out other players, floor spacing) too little? I mean, the objective is to get the rebound, right? We're playing basketball, not "who is the tallest?".

I'm gonna say this last piece and then get off my high horse: Life is not a zero-sum game. Everybody else doesn't have to fail for you to win. And in order for you to win, you don't need to destroy everyone else in the process. Jeremy Lin does not have to be some sort of abject failure in order for you to be a better person. Jeremy Lin's teammates to do not have to be trash in order for him to be better than them.

Try having a perspective where your need to be right doesn't completely overwhelm everything else.

2 people like this.
  17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Here is a great chance for you to prove your worth. :grin:

18. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

:confused:

:eek:

:(

:eek:

I may...I may have gotten carried away...

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Cool, cool. That's something I'm aware of. So were you responding to my post? I mean when I typed the first time I didn't check wiki or anything. When responding to your post, that's where I got it from. If you weren't responding to my post then cool. Otherwise, I guess I was just saying that the other definition is what I meant.

Cool, ~lol~. You're right, Native Americans got it worst.

20. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Bro, are you serious right now? I'm from Houston, and I've stuck it out with this team. I like Lin; I think he has a lot of potential and will be our PG of the future.

What I don't like are LOH and LOF. And people who post without thinking. It has been stated -repeatedly- that, since the new CBA has been signed, that a S&T is NOT a possibility anymore. And in no such world would Morey do that deal.

It's quite plainly you don't 'get it'. You clearly dont 'get' what it means to be a fan of the team. Maybe act more mature and you won't be treated with such contempt.