1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My theory as to why Harden is turning the ball over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SkyrimOwnsAll, Apr 30, 2013.

1. just a word

just a word Member

at times I wonder if Harden is tired and is like, OH HAY TEAMMATE, and throws it to an OKC member :p

2. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

As most have pointed out it is mostly because of nagging injuries and fatigue.

It is very hard for a score-first wing player to carry a team to a championship. ...Jordan couldn't do it without Pippen, Tracy couldn't do it because he admittedly got tired in the 4th quarter, Wade & Kobe couldn't do it without Shaq.

Certain players @23 years old (Bird, Magic, Lebron) knew how to use teammates to save energy and build team confidence. Harden shares qualities in this group (more so than Durant) but just needs to be reminded of it. Some of the turnovers are due to bad calls & teammates being in the wrong spot. It will get better.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What's the excuse for the bad swing passes?

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

reasonable assessment... but I think he needs to learn to A) stop playing for the foul and expecting the refs to bail him out and B) utilize his teammates if he doesn't have the juice to get it done. Right now, he is being a liability.

5. LAC

LAC Member

Let's try to replace Harden with Lin

Its quite simple, Lin is getting hacked whenever he drives and isnt getting the whistle. I think the refs have grown tired of calling fouls for his head snapping. But the problem when they don't call the foul is that it leads to an exposed basketball and the start of a fastbreak for the other team, which unfairly counts as a turnover. Yes their are times were Lin makes a pass to Asik( who fumbles the ball away), but for the most part he no longer has the respect of the refs. I also think with Asik having bad hands, Lin often times second guesses himself when trying to force feed Asik, because he might not catch the ball. Which may lead to bad passes.

It is also quite noticeable that Lin is struggling from fatigue and battling injuries (85 games, bum knee, twisted ankles, and chest bruise), we have to remember this is the most minutes he has played in a season.. BY FAR, and i think he has dead legs (which doesn't explain the poor FG and 3P percentages). Parsons and Delfino had the luxury of rest down the stretch, and you can see it in their games, while the other Rockets did not.

For those thinking Lin is overrated, or think that he isnt clutch, you may want watch all the regular season games this year, or him againist the Thunder after the All Star Break. Lin is not superstar but is only 24 years old, now do we need a better coach for him... thats for another discussion

6. subzor

subzor Member

this lol

7. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

harden is just plain terrible and too predictable when playing PG and iso...just make him play off the ball and hell flourish as well as the whole team...this is a team full of potential stars beverly CP Lin and they cant develop if harden is plaing iso most of the time

8. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Right?

When I saw who the author was in the garm, I couldn't help but click ASAP.

9. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I know one of them was because Garcia camps way behind the 3pt line and Harden gave him a no look pass where most of our 3pt shooters would be--it went out of bounds. I guess he hasn't had a lot of recent floor time with him. A couple were offensive fouls which could have been called the other way as well. A couple passes were predictable and the lanky OKC players read it...

I believe Harden will adjust.

10. zawa

zawa Member

This excuse can literally be used for every guard player who handles the ball a lot. Seriously can't you come up with a better one?

11. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

I see the hammer has finally fallen on SkyrimOwnsAll.

12. seahawk

seahawk Member

Yes, I got you. The reason is because of Jeremy Lin. Even you didn't mention his name in this post and this this post only.

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "fire mchale" thread. Great work! 1 star.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

He is young! Period

15. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

bingo...this could be the correct response for almost every criticism thread, whether its Harden or Lin or even McHale (experience) or whoever...PATIENCE PEOPLE!

16. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

For the fouling portion, I think it all comes back to the question of trying to finish the play or sell the foul. I personally prefer finishing the play and let the refs do their job...at least you get something out of it instead of a fast break. Regardless I do feel the refs have been more hesitant when it comes to him recently.

17. munco

munco Member

Wrong. He's trying to do too much and forcing the issue.

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Two reasons for Harden turning the ball over as much as he has done this season and in the playoffs.

1. Playing out of position. Harden has very good handles and like a lot of star and superstar SG/SFs can bring the ball up the court but this team has him do it too much. You want to get your best player the ball but you want to do so in a way he can make plays or have time to rest. The team should run plays where he can get the ball without having to be the main distributor or facilitator when the play he wanted breaks down. He is a scorer, he wants to score, throwing the entire offense on his back isn't going to help him or the team long term.

2. He tries to draw fouls with excessive jerking, which refs are starting to ignore due to him drawing so many calls in the regular season. Playoffs are known to have refs swallow their whistles and forces the true superstars to score through contact. Harden is too used to getting to the foul line. He doesn't cry as much some do about not getting the calls but on a lot of his attempts, he initiates contact and then makes a half heart attempt to score while exaggerating the contact. This leads to miss shots or just turnovers.

19. OCBlast

OCBlast Member

he lacks point guard skills and handling the ball simply results in turnovers

20. Prince

Prince Member

cuz his former teammates know his style. simple.