1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If Dwight did come here trade idea

Asik, Lin, T-rob, Dmo for Horford

Sign Brooks (and possibly Garcia) back for cheap.

Beverley/Brooks
    Harden/Anderson
    Parsons/Delfino/Garcia
    Horford/Jones
    Howard/Smith

Scary team right there.

2. PeppermintCandy

My pipe dream would be Greg Monroe of the Pistons. But I don't know why Detroit would want to trade him or what we'd have to give up to get him. Just a gut feeling.

BTW my previous pipe dreams in past seasons were for Ron Artest from the Kings and James Harden from OKC. I was like "Man, it would be great to have this guy on the Rockets. He'd be a perfect fit." Then, coincidentally Morey went out and got them.

So you never know. :)

3. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

THIS. Greg Monroe is my favorite of all the young PFs. I just think that we'd have to give up way too much to get him with the big ideas they have in Detroit of two towers with Drummond.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

want him too but they're not trading him

they're trying to build a twin towers in detroit

5. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

How about getting Mike DUnleavy Jr?

6. santamaria14

santamaria14 Member

A few players on my wish list:
    Landry Fields, he would be a backup to Harden and Parsons as Delfino was this year, but younger. We'd have to evaluate his 3 point shot, but I think fields is a gritty defender who loves the spotlight.

Somehow trade up to draft Trey Burke. I'd give up Jeremy Lin, our 34th pick, and 2 of our power forwards for Burke. He and Beverley would own the backcourt, shooting and distributing along James Harden.

Obviously, the ultimate trade target for the Rockets is Kevin Love. He's the best rebounder in the league and shoots the 3 at a high clip, and it's well known that he's frustrated with the lack of talent in Minnesota. Anyone but Parsons and Harden is bait for K-Love!

7. ooox

ooox Member

Take a look at Field's contract and tell me if you still want him.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

This proposal has multiple steps, so I've included the impact on the cap space and roster after each step. This assumes the cap for 2013-2014 is set at $59 million.

Step #1 - Portland Trade
    Houston In: LaMarcus Aldridge
    Portland In: Asik, TRob, TJones, Beverley, Houston 2014 #1

Impact on Houston's Guaranteed Cap for 2013: +$1 million ($40.5 million guaranteed)

Lin / Brooks
    Harden / Anderson
    Parsons / Delfino
    Aldridge / DMo
    Smith / Ohlbrecht

Step #2 - Pickup and Decline Team Options
    Pickup Options: Delfino ($3 million), Parsons ($1 million), Smith ($1 million), Ohlbrecht ($1 million)
    Decline Options: Garcia ($6.4 million), Brooks ($2.5 million), Anderson ($1 million)

Impact on Houston's Guaranteed Cap for 2013: +$6 million ($46.5 million guaranteed)

Lin /
    Harden /
    Parsons / Delfino
    Aldridge / DMo
    Smith / Ohlbrecht

Step #3 - Sign 2013 Free Agents
    1) Andrew Bynum - 3 year $30 million. $8M/$10M/$12M. Year 3 team option.
    2) Tony Allen - 3 year $13.5 million

Impact on Houston's Guaranteed Cap for 2013: +$12.5 million ($59 million guaranteed)

Lin /
    Harden / Allen
    Parsons / Delfino
    Aldridge / DMo
    Bynum / Smith / Ohlbrecht

Step #4 Sign Drafted Players
    1) Furkan Aldemir - 4 year $4 million contract. Years 2-4 team options.
    2) Sergio Llull - 4 year $16 million contract. Years 3-4 team options.

Impact on Houston's Guaranteed Cap for 2013: +$5 million ($64 million guaranteed)

Lin / Llull
    Harden / Allen
    Parsons / Delfino
    Aldridge / DMo / Aldemir
    Bynum / Smith / Ohlbrecht

9. srrono

srrono Member

I would like Houston over this summer get a defensive stopper for this roster any of these guys would help. i dont know salaries fits or if could be traded or FA signings.
    Kirk Hinrich
    Matt Barnes
    Avery Bradley
    C.J. Miles
    Larry Sanders
    Courtney Lee
    Gerald Green
    Gerald Henderson
    LUOL DENG
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Morey's recent Twitter followings of D12 & CP3 got me thinking about how he could get them both to come to H-Town. What do you think about this...

CP3 & D12 both come to H-Town because more than anything else they want a ring. Maybe these two even talk to each other over the Summer.

JSmoove would come because he's buddies with D12.
    We would have to trade Lin and Asik for picks. And send the roster packing.

These guys are all FREE AGENTS so there's no negotiating with teams just selling the concept to the individual players.

Imagine the Cap Limit is $61 million next year.

PG Paul 19m
    SG Harden 15m
    SF Parsons 888k
    PF J.Smith 15m
    C Howard 20m

Beverley 800k
    G.Smith 777k
    ?
    ?
    ?

Total $71.5 million
    Over $10.5 million
    Luxury Tax $10.5 x 3 = $31.5 million

So we would be over the cap by about $10.5m which would result in a tax of approximately $31.5 million.

If we can't afford to pay the luxury tax then we ask CP3, D12 and JSmoove to take a less than max deal or we just don't recruit JSmoove.

I think its a line-up that can challenge Miami but don't know how well they can play together, especially CP3 and Harden.

Is it better to just keep our backcourt intact and sign Dwight and trade Asik for JSmoove? Basically the line-up I proposed but with Lin instead of CP3.

Let me know what you guys think.

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Ignore my above post.
    First time attempting this and I didn't think about how to move out the guaranteed contracts. Needs more work.

I do think we can get Howard AND Chris Paul as Free Agents though.

12. srrono

srrono Member

I threw in White to lower salary and get rid of him.

Omer Asik 8,374,646 & Royce White 1,719,480 for Ryan Anderson 8,308,500

All salaries are next years except Howard which is this years.

Jeremy Lin 8,374,646
    James Harden 13,668,750
    Chandler Parsons 926,500
    Ryan Anderson 8,308,500
    Dwight Howard 19,536,360

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I like that lineup. Lethal.

14. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

You can't throw out White unless someone trade for him, his contract is guarented.

Again, to remind folks, the salary cap is going to be between 58-60M next year, you can NOT sign a player through FA that pushes you over that, you could theoretically do a sign and trade though, but that would have to have the other team agree obviously and you have to give something back.)

The Rockets today, if you assume the decline Garcia / Deflino / Brooks, have about 42M committed for next year, so even signing Dwight would require either trading Asik or Lin, or some other sort of maneuver (like moving Robinson) to happen. the trade must happen BEFORE you even make Dwight a official offer though, which is risky business, more than one team (including the Rockets several time in the past few years) have been burned by clearing the space only to have the players not come.

After that, the Rockets still have a mid level exception. of around 6 mill to sign someone. and can sign guys at minimum etc..

Given this though, it seems difficult to sign Howard, I'd assume they'll move Robinson first if they are serious about it, because that means even if the signing fail at least you won't be left without a center.

I would think something like Josh Smith + some more complimentary players would make more sense personally. like say.. Martell Webster. or for more named / vet version, AK 47. who'll probably opt out .

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Jazz SnT

Paul Milsap @ 4 years 38 million (8,9,10,11) - Team Option for 4th year.

for

Jeremy Lin (8.3m)
    Thomas Robinson (3.5m)

This trade immediately fills the glaring hole we have at the power forward position. Adds a mid range shooter and a good defender. It also clears the extra room we need to offer super max to Dwight Howard.

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Love this idea. Creative move and very possible if the Jazz don't want him to walk for nothing. Milsap is probably my favorite of the PF free agents, and it would still allow for us to sign a max deal. Whether that means Howard or Love, Cousins, Monroe (not real likely) in 2014.

It also allows us to move Asik if we want to upgrade the PG position if we need to deal Lin to Utah for the S&T (they don't need a big man). This could be in a deal with the Clips for Bledsoe, who is an absolute perfect fit, or elsewhere (Clips have said they need a 3rd big man outside of Griffin/Jordan).

17. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Actually adding on to that, even better, we sign Chris Paul and just keep Asik.

Starting 5:
    Paul
    Harden
    Parsons
    Milsap
    Asik

Unlikely that we could get Paul, but that's just a ridiculous lineup. We wouldn't even be over the cap either if we decline team options and stuff. Might move T-Rob or something to free up a bit of space if necessary. That's just scary. I don't buy the whole "Paul and Harden can't coexist" doctrine.

18. basketballholic

Morey would only do something like this if we had already acquired Howard through free agency or perhaps Paul in free agency. If we have cap space why would we trade two assets for Millsap when we can sign him outright. Oh...and the contract for Millsap....look for it to be reversed...signing bonus up front with decreasing salaries in later years and last year only partially guaranteed.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If we decline Garcia and Olbrecht and don't pick Brooks back up, we would have about 45.1mil.

1. Thomas Robinson, Royce, and Suns' 2nd rd pick to the Bobcats for Jeff Taylor and the Blazer's pick

This would put us at 40.7mil.

Depending on what the salary cap is at, we would have to decline Delfino or trade Lin and take back not as much salary to get Dwight. I think the likely option would be declining Delfino as well.

2. Sign Dwight

From there

3. Asik and Dmo for Ryan Anderson and Robin Lopez

We match Dwight with the best available PF for him and the team and get a great backup center in Lopez so we don't have to run Smith there anymore.

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Anderson
    Parsons/Taylor
    Anderson/Jones/Smith
    Howard/Lopez

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The point is that we don't have enough cap room without moves.

Moving Lin plus Robinson clears up 12 million in cap room. Bringing back Milsap at 8 gives us an additional net of 4 million in cap space for this summer.