1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Collins admits he's gay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Maybe they will once gay people get the same rights as straight people

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes. Most 34-35-year-old role players don't get contract offers because teams increasingly prefer giving roster spots to younger guys with perceived upside (even DLeaugers like Tim Ohlbrecht).

Collins has somehow survived all these years, though, so there's decent enough chance he will catch on. If Juwan Howard still has a job, Collins brings some of the same things: smart vet, good teammate, fouls hard.

Also, kind of funny that it's the other guy HOU traded for Eddie Griffin who has been rumored for years to be gay.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

At the risk of sounding ignorant, if there is a gay gene, shouldn't identical twins have the same sexual orientation?

Not that I care either way, whether there is a gay gene or not, consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want.

4. Prince

Prince Member

just one stare at any center and it will convert from a post up play into a fade away jump shot.

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

This will change everything about how I look at the NBA now.

Just kidding, who cares.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good for him. I'm amazed it took this long for an active player from a major sport to do this.

Hopefully, this news is well received and he's met with nothing but support from everybody involved.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is sexuality a psychological trait that manifests itself physically? Twins are physically the same due to genetics, but they're unique people.

You're thinking of the twins from The Shining.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So the cat is out of the bag. I personally don't believe being gay is right, but I really don't care if someone is gay or not (their life, they can live how they want). Good for this guy though to have the courage to come out.

1 person likes this.
  9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Hopefully he doesn't follow Kluwe's steps and blame his getting cut/not signed on his beliefs rather than his not-being-goodness.

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. Those who believe the gene thing should naturally wonder if his brother is gay too. Although I'm sure many studies have been done on siblings on this matter, so this would be just be one in many "studies."

11. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Lol at the photos they chose in the article

12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Who cares?

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Identical twins are not exact copies of each other. There are genetic differences. If you've known identical twins, you've probably been able to tell them apart based on slight differences.

Edit: If sexualtity is genetic, identical twins should have a high correlation, but not absolute.

14. likestohypeguy

^if you truly don't care, then you shouldn't be asking questions like that at all (it's offensive if they think you're implying it's a choice in any way). THAT'S the way in which you're supposed to not care. But be careful not to "not care" in the sense that you're not interested in hearing about it either. THat's also offensive (in that it's similar to hatefully saying "stop putting it in my face"). For example I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to say this either, I just don't understand how if it's not a big deal and no one cares, why this will have to be on every sports related talk radio & tv show for a while. Guess it's complicated.

I've just already heard a few too many "Lbgt COMMUNITY" references on the airwaves this morning than what I needed, & know it will be the feature on outside the lines, 30/30 etc.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've meet twins that don't even share the same handedness. Why should this be any different?

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well it's a big deal in sports because there are very few active openly gay players. Plus there a lot of homophobia in locker rooms today. Which is why most don't come out.

17. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

Not shocked, always thought he was anyways. Just has the look.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

There is a difference between "caring" and being curious. I'm just curious academically, not because I object morally one way or another.

But handedness is decided behaviorally for the most part right? There are a lot of cases of parents forcing a kid to be right handed for convenience later in life.

I looked into it a little (read a wiki article) and found this:

So yes, like juicy said, if the gay gene exists, identical twins would have a high correlation of sharing the same sexual identity but not 100%.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

People get Jason and Jerron Confused all the time.. if Jerron is out shopping alone of course people that really dont know them going to think Jerron is Jason the First Active Gay Basketball Player.. wouldn't you feel uncomfortable?

20. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Awesome. Nice to see the closet getting smaller every year. I never thought we'd see gay rights come as far as they have so quickly. Hopefully this is the first of many breaking free of the closet and showing people that being gay is no big deal.

1 person likes this.