1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Morey go after Pau Gasol again?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Will he?

1. yes, cause Dwight is too diva

42 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. yes, cause so we can add Spain next to Turkey and Taiwan

66 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. no, he's too old

159 vote(s)
    49.7%
  4. no, we need Dwight and Dream/McHale to teach him how shoot a 3 foot jumper

53 vote(s)
    16.6%
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hope not. Old big men are snake oil.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right now the priority of contengencies are most likely this -

A. CP3 as a UFA signing (pipe dream)
    B. Dwight Howard as a UFA signing, w/ possible S&T for salary cap flexibilty(somewhat realistic)
    C. Summer trades for all star #2. possibly trying for LaMarcus Aldridge
    D. Unknown free agent signing of choice(could be Josh Smith or someone else they value more than I do)
    E. Gasol VIA amnesty wire
    F. Gasol VIA trade(giving up next to nothing but possibly T. Robinson, & Brooks if they are interested)
    G. Keep status quo and hope one or more of their young bigs have a GREAT Summer

-Of these 7 contengencies almost all of them are highly desirable except for possibly the risk of D.(signing a free agent to a large contract). However, if there is someone they are going after whether it be Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Millsap, or whoever, they are probably doing it for a very good reason.... or we should hope they see something I dont.

I personally think the Rockets are better off with Gasol on a one year deal than any of these guys, but from what Morey says in interviews makes you believe there is someone out there they think very highly of....

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

4. FatChad

FatChad Rookie

I personally don't care for pau and think he's the weaker link of the two gasols, but his box scores prove that he can play. He would be a pretty good fit at the 4 and it would help us tremendously. Dwight is a puss.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

We can probably get Gasol without losing too much flexibility. With this in mind, I'd love to have him.

My guess is we go for him (or another skilled PF we can get that won't tie us up). We probably offer him a two year near max. Sacrificing the immeadiate payout for insured flexibility.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Only if we strike out completely in the off season and we have cap room to trade a junk pick for him. He's got 1 season remaining and can back up Asik as well as play the PF spot.

I don't think I can watch a whole season of small ball or the DMo/GSmith/TRob project so I hope something happens in the PF area.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tinman needs a new T-Mac so he chooses Pau.

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Pau Gasol is a rich man's PatPat, so Carl Herrera would be happy.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Pau, but damn he would have been perfect for Adelman's system in the high post. People call him soft, but how can you be soft when your specialty is banging down low in the post?

He is up there in age now, but he doesn't rely on athleticism, so he should have another 3 or 4 good years left in him, plus he's a nice expiring contract (trade bait). I love his game and you can't teach size.

I originally was bummed out about the rejected trade because I think D-Mo's ceiling is Pau Gasol, so who better to learn from than Gasol himself?

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope not. I didn't want him last year, and I sure as hell don't want him now that he's 2 years older and a confirmed loser in the playoffs when Kobe isn't there to draw all the defense's attention.

11. chrisman_29

chrisman_29 Member

I absolutely want Pau...as an expiring contract and the one year filler for a potential LaMarcus Aldridge signing next summer. Pau can be a post presence (finally), an additional rebounder to help Asik, and a 4 or 5 depending on the situation. Pau is perfect...for one year.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Only if he's amnestied.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Did you see how well he played with Howard? You think he would do better with Asik? This would be Morey's dumbest move.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

How is it dumb when he has an expiring contract and doesn't affect our team's flexibility cap-wise?

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Only if amnestied or if Lakers are looking to dump salary by trading him for scraps.

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Do you guys really want to use our remaining cap room on players like Josh Smith or Al Jefferson and give away our ability to become a major bidder in the summer of 2014?

Notable 2014 free agents:

LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Chris Bosh
    Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Zach Randolph
    Pau Gasol
    Tim Duncan
    Amare Stoudemire
    Marcin Gortat
    Rudy Gay
    Danny Granger
    Paul Pierce
    Luol Deng
    Andrea Bargnani
    Andrew Bogut

and.. Kyle Lowry

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Considering how many of those players I don't want to sign to a long contract and/or are auto-locked to re-sign at home. 2014 doesn't look promising.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are only 4 players that will be worth pursuing on that list and those players will probably stay in their respective teams exempt for Bosh who will be 31:

Lebron
    Bosh
    Wade
    Melo

everyone else will be past thier prime, injury rattled or just not Superstars at all. Gortat? Really?

I'll take my chances with Dwight and CP3

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I've long been a proponent of developing the young bigs we have, but given we are likely to get stuck with McHale another year and based on what happened to Patterson, they are likely to be ruined forever at that point, I'd rather us go after Al Jefferson. He should be cheaper then trying to take on Gasol's contract or sign Howard or Smith and is one of the better post playing big men in the NBA today and has a mid range jumper.

He's had injury problems in the past but over the last few years he seems to be pretty stable and hasn't missed too many games.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pau's expiring contract would be a good chip to have with Love's future in Minny up in the air. Kahn might be gone now but the Wolves owner also had interesting words for Love during that contract negotiation debacle.