1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we have a serious discussion about Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jVgOwnsYou, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Don't know enough yet because he's hurt right now.
    In the regular season he's shown flashes of really high and really low level play, basically like a mystery box, you never know which one you will get.
    I'll wait one more season before judging his ability as a player.
    Determining his future ability based on 52 minutes of action in the playoffs where he's injured is probably not the best way to go at it. He did look good in the first half of the 2nd game before being hit by Sefolosha (7 pts 4 ast 3-7 shooting.)

Dude is definitely overpaid though. Can Morey restructure his contract and give half of it to Parsons?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To be honest I thought he played like crap in game 1 as well. Missed all sorts of jumpshots and got abused by Westbrook.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

They had him in a sling in the second half. You really think that he wasn't hurt? The sling was just for show or something? That Derek Fisher (who he torched in NY last year) now dominates him?

I saw the game on tv. It was pretty obvious to me and everyone else that he was hurt
    You want a serious discusssion? That's fine.. but to use tonite as your evidence that he sucks?

1 person likes this.
  4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Get a grip you think Lin's minutes tonight cost the team more than Hardens's crap turnovers and missed free throws? He played scared? He looked like he tried to do what he could with 1 freaking arm. Stop saying it's easy to blame Harden when that's the freaking fact. THat's like asking a knick fan to blame JKidd or Prigioni over Melo, that's sillly!

By the same standarrds you would've traded a young TOny Parker away from the SPurs. Look at what Parker did in the 2002-2003 championship season. SPurs were a #1 seed and in game 1 vs the suns , he went 2-13 with 7 points in a loss!! THen the team won in spite of him in game 2 when he went 1-7 with 2 point!! He was super inconsistent because that's what happens to most players.

Stop living in a world of instant results.

5. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I don't think you know the market for PGs.

6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL if you want to hate bring some facts. Westbrook shot 3-8 with Lin on him, and 2 of those were layups in transition. Go check the tape.

7. trock

trock Member

I don't think he's a #2 option on a contending team, but it seems to me he has the tools to be a PG on a contender, meaning he's solid starter developing his game. I actually thought he was pretty good this season considering he started slowly coming back from injury; good enough to want to see what he does next season before writing him off.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its ALWAYS - ALWAYS about the money. :) Even when it doesnt seem like it, thats impetus in evaluating a player. And it probably SHOULD BE.

I think we all know that Lin was signed in a VERY UNCONVENTIONAL manner that was even past usual market conditions. It wasn't as much to do with this actual on-court ability. I think it added 20% more "bloat" to his contract value. Really Lin is more a $6 million player (and its if he's contributing even THAT worth)

But, AND ITS SERIOUSLY its not a knock - I think we'd have higher PROBABILITY of Dragic delivering competent performance for that same amount.

Would Dragic have played poorly the same as Lin if he had the same injury? We don't know. But I don't think we'd get a bad Game 1 Lin performance from Dragic either.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Everybody was awful in game 1. The entire team looked nervous & were deers in headlights. Parsons finally played tonight at the level I thought he should have played all post season & Parsons was the only guy I thought would have a good series prior to game 1. And everybody gets abused by Westbrook even CP3. Just some perspective.

10. nono

nono Member

Let's give it till next season. I'm sure he'll improve. If he is still like this though then I won't be sorry to see him traded.

11. art

art Member

he would be a good game manager. nothing wrong with that. i never expected him to be an all star. the team is so young. inconsistency comes from the lack of experience. i cant judge him or this roster until 2-3 yrs.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

People want today's Tony Parker without the years of experience it took to become Tony Parker.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, but especially Lin. Its unfortunate he hasn't had a chance to make up for that stinker.

14. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Lin's contract really is nothing when you look at how much the Rockets are making back with the whole asian community behind it (im asian)

15. Jedster

Jedster Member

You thank Clutch and then you go ahead and post what you consider a serious comment where you play doctor and tell us that you DON'T THINK his injury is that severe, and that you BELIEVE he got benched cos he was outplayed.

You have the right to your comments. But how do you expect anyone to have a serious discussion back when you interject your own personal opinion with no substantiation into this talk?

People can only either agree with you or disagree with your opinion about how severe the injury is. And neither side can prove anything.

If you posted a title that said something like: 'I don't want Lin around as the starter anymore'
    then you can state your opinion and feelings in any way you want, and you won't hear a peep from me. But if you want a serious discussion, then you can't start off with that kinda nonsense.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When Rafer Alston outplays you by A LOT in a Playoff series when he was with the Rockets, you know you are in trouble.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes, it likely did cost more.

Lin played almost 20 minutes. Lin didnt just come in for a 5 minute test run and check out. He was (continuously left in) in there as a core rotation player. And the team was way worse off while he was in there. Lin helped put the team in the deficit in the first place.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

He was particularly poor I don't dispute that & you can't play that bad at the most important position in the NBA. But Greg was awful in game one like just so incredibly bad. Parsons was ineffective as well. Harden struggled something fierce & his defense was even more of an embarrassment. It was a lot of people first playoff games in drastically different roles against a top western conference team. If anything be mad that Lin went 20 points on 19FGA against the Spurs in a loss.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yes. its was more obvious than I can say. I'm one of the most critical of Harden, don't know why but I've never really liked the guy. He choked at the end but it was much more than Lin has done all series. He has been a liability every time he has been on the floor.

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Okay? Let's say i agree with you on that, how about the 2nd half then, when he stopped playing, we came back, so that's good right?

then how about the turnovers, missed free throws like i said during the last minutes, THOSE cost us the game, not jeremy