1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Birdman the best ceiling we can expect from Thomas Robinson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I think thats pretty good if he did turn out that way. Birdman has completley affected the Heat lineup. He can run with a small lineup,d up and you rarely see him get outmuscled despite his slim frame. And his defense is underrated.

And he's a monster on the offensive boards

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good background, solid. Offers confidence moving forward.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, future recovering heroin & meth head is his best case scenario.

1 person likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Man, whose talkin about his off-the-court issues. I was only referncing his skill on-the-court and Birdman skills bring to the team.

I hate you guys so much sometime. Always trying to go outside the box.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Darvin Ham might be his ceiling, looks like.

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He reminds me of J.J. Hickson during his early days with the Cavs.

7. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Birdman is super long. TRob is undersized. No idea how you're comparing the two.

8. blunto

blunto Member

Robinson has a long way to go before he gets on Bird's level as a team defender and rim protector. Dude looks lost out there more often than not.

Bird used to clean up on the break pretty well and throw down a buncha oops, I could see the same from TRob.

However, I think Robinson can be a better on the ball defender than Bird, and can cover more positions. Don't seem him having the same overall impact though, Andersen has been pretty underrated for his career.

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

Robinson's ceiling is Chuck Hayes minus defense.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The term "ceiling" is such a tired cliche. In theory his "ceiling" is Charles Barkley, or a young Shawn Kemp. His floor is Mark Madsen, or Michael Ruffin.

Dont know who Madsen, or Ruffin were?... thats the point.

Year 1 was a rocky start to Thomas Robinson's professional career no doubt. However, its WAY too early to either write him off, or come to any kind of conclusion about how good he will be.

Mostly note- Robinson's biggest flaw this season wasn't his potential, it was that he couldn't stay on the floor because A. he was almost never in the right position defensively, and B. Often broke away from the offensive play, and sometimes even took a bad shot outside of the offensive set.

I personally think him, Jones, and D-Mo all have the ability to be very good to all-star calliber players in the league if they work hard enough. Each guy has high lottery talent even though they are all very different from one another as far as their skill set goes.

Im very interested to see what kind of Summer each one of these guys can have, and which one steps up to own the starting PF position next season. There is too much talent for at least one of thes guys to NOT make that kind of a jump.

-note- no I do not think Robinson or Birdman are anything alike other than the fact that they both have tatoos, and play the same role that 2/5 of all NBA players play... which is to grab rebounds, guard the post, and score in the paint.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Is T-Rob even gonna be here next season? I get the impression Morey is gonna give him away for a 2nd rounder to clear up cap space.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

His salary would most likely be the candidate to be moved if they needed the cap space to absorb a high max salary contract. Even if you decline the team options for Delfino, Brooks, Garcia, you still are going to need that extra amount to either sign or trade for a max contract if you are NOT trading either Asik or Lin in the deal.

So, I would say he's much more likely to get "traded for a conditional 2nd rounder" than any of the other young PF's just because of the nature of his contract.

Given the fact that they gave up Patterson to get him, and he has top 5 draft pick talent, I would assume they want to keep him IF they dont need to move his salary for the sake of acquiring superstar #2.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not at all the same player. Josh Smith is his best comparison.

14. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Best case scenario is T-Rob becoming a Jeff Green caliber two guard

15. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

I think T-rob's ceiling is Shawn Marion.

Runs the Floor. He is pretty quick in transition.

Rebound. For his size he seems to be an excellent rebounder.

Defend. Quick hands and quick feet.

What does he need to work on?

Hands and finishing... shooting will be a bit later but you have to catch and you have to finish on the break.

Am I saying he will be Shawn... no... but from what I have seen him play... I think he has that type of potential and physical profile.

Will he get there? No idea.

Fierguard

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

He reminds me of a young Anthony Randolph. Young and full of potential. In other words a bust.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

His ceiling is a poor man's Patrick Patterson.

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

no way. T-rob is not that bad. all Darvin Ham did was play defense and dunk. T-rob can actually rebound unlike d-mo.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Did we trade PP for a Birdman wanna be? Oh, no, Carl where is you?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Or0Y8JnQmWk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>