1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Russell Westbrook has a torn meniscus in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxTurk, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Asian Sensation

You've got to be kidding me. I'm all for fair play and I don't like people intentionally trying to hurt others but you're crucifying Beverley for a hard nosed play without intent to injure. Sure it was an agrressive play but that's how Bev plays all the time. It's part of the reason why it makes him such a good defender and also why he's successful in getting those steals.

Go watch the play again and you can clearly see Beverley had an angle on the steal. As a matter of fact he would have gotten the steal if Westbrook didn't stick out his knee and turn his body to protect the ball. It's just unfortunate the Thunder called a timeout right at that instant because Bev's momentum was already 100% going forward for the steal. If the Thunder didn't call timeout it wouldn't be a huge deal like it is now. But like I said since a timeout had been called there's no reason for Westbrook to stick his knee out to protect the ball right? The only reason why WB did that was because he kept playing and it was natural instinct just like Bev going in for the steal. WB's knees got in the way of Bev's hips. Simple accidental play.

Finally, if Bev was going to purposely injure WB he would've gone in with a shoulder, elbow, knee, or head. Anything other than the SIDE OF HIS HIPS.

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Zero. Only thing the league can do is make some kind of "Tom Brady" rule.

3. AB423

AB423 Member

Damn I feel for Westbrook.. He's never missed a game in his career and now he has to in the playoffs.

4. Asian Sensation

I'm glad someone else sees what I saw as well.

5. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I wish it would have been Perkins. Westbrook doesn't deserve this and he might help Rocket by chucking away all the KD's shots.

6. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

My guess is around .015 chance Beverley gets suspended.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sorry if this was already confirmed in the already 15-page long thread, but was the steal attempt by Beverley when this happened?

So do the Rockets now have a legit shot at winning this series? Kevin Durant is a great player, but he can't do it all on his own. If the Rockets force the ball out of his hands, who do the Thunder have who can beat us? I'll bet that Harden trade is suddenly not looking so good.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

wouldn't be surprised if there was a new rule about faking timeouts or such.

Although this has happened once it feels like, people will make a big thing about it of course.

I wouldn't mind it though.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Suspended for a perfectly legal play?? Just because Westbrook threw a hissy fit, and ended up being injured doesn't mean it's an illegal play. Dangerous?? Any more dangerous than say diving for a loose ball, or committing a hard foul when someone is going for a layup? The fouls that are committed on Lin and Harden on their drives to the hoop are WAY more dangerous than this. Give me a freaking break.

10. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Hey - if the attempted steal happened during the course of play, wouldn't it be a foul? Was it not a foul because it happened after the whistle?

11. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Zero, don't worry

12. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I am worried for Beverley or Harden. With Thabo and Perkins on that team, they are bound to want to "make up" for Westbrook's injury through some sort of revenge act.

13. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

he deserved far worse for his repugnant fashion sense alone.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lin has played good this year, why don't you do something else instead of running down our players.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I agree, except for the fact that if Westbrook hadn't turned his body at the last second there is a good chance it WOULD have succeeded. Maybe it would have been after the whistle, maybe not. You definitely have zero chance if you don't try though, and if it had succeeded then every one calls it a great play. If Westbrook doesn't get hurt, it's not even discussed again. It's only being discussed because of bad luck resulting in an injury, and I'm not going to hold it against Beverly for doing everything possible without playing dirty to win. Sucks for the Thunder and Westbrook, but there are plenty of intentional fouls that happen out there and this certainly wasn't one of them.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

It's the similar injury Lin had last year at NY, with a smaller scale, about 2% tear.

His recovery time depends on how they want to treat it. If they decide to just trim it, then he could come back to play in a couple of days. But if they want to repair it, it could take up to 6 weeks. A friend of mine played in a semi-pro hockey league, he had the surgery on Monday, played a game on Wednesday.

I thought the Rockets might win a game at home, but now I don't think they will. The Thunders will come out on fire, Durant will dominate the game.

17. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I didn't say at any point Bev was trying to injure WB. I said it was a dumb, reckless play.

18. Rocket_Man_2.0

[​IMG]

Not dirty..just hustle and hard-nosed defense. Beverley was clearly going for the ball. It's a fast pace game..things like this happen.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Exactly, I think people are watching it in slow motion replays if they think Beverly was doing anything other than going for a legitimate steal.

20. Fighton

Fighton Member

because there's a good chance that lin will be back in gm 3, whereas westbrook won't be back for rest of the series.

if westbrook had chest contusion last game no one would be doubting their ability to beat the rockets.