1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing OKC better for the team in the long run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Midrangej, Apr 18, 2013.

1. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

I WILL say developing and training players 'cause that IS one of many duties that come along with the job, but that doesnt mean its exclusive to the HC job, everyone on the coaching staff I'm sure has a part to play in that area. I guess I should have made this point more clear, yeah he may draw up some plays during timeouts and certain situations but I was specifically talking about calling plays during the flow of the game. I will say though that I think another job that McHale may need to work on is match-ups and substitutions, but I think that just comes with really knowing your players strengths and weaknesses. For the most I think he does a pretty good job but there have been times where his decisions have been suspect.

2. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

1. Well, like i said, the four key players in Harden, Asik, Lin and Parsons have all been valuable to a degree, but I do believe Harden is the key on offense (does he need to pass and rely on his teammates more, definitely)
    Asik has been the key on defence.

2. The coaching has had to deal with a complete team overhaul. I have scratched my head at some of the rotations myself, but when you dont know what you have in your players, sometimes you have to mix it up.
    I am in no way trying to defend McHale, but for those who think that this team averaged 106 PPG in spite of McHale are being unreasonable.

This team is made up mainly of undrafted players or 2nd round players, with the exception of Harden and a couple of late lotto/1st round players. If it were that easy to coach such a group of players, why werent the Lakers able to get a higher record. Sometimes its hard to deal with a whole brand new team.
    And for some reason, ex players (like lowry, Patterson etc) seemed to do better when they were here than they currently are with their new teams, some not even get a chance to play.

This team has issues they do need to address, but the offseason and playoffs will address that. For now we just all need to chill and enjoy this ride.

Had we won both Suns and Lakers games, we would be celebrating the season and the 6th seed as a successful season, yet we only finished 2 games back.

Dont forget that the 3,4 and 5th seeds all won over 55 games, so we are still a bit away from the top of the pack, but the progress we have made has been a positive one.

3. jocar

jocar Member