1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Anyone else think we tanked vs Phoenix on purpose?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, Apr 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Harden was dominating in the first quarter, his game was noticeably affected by the knee bump with Scola. He was much slower and limping during timeouts the rest of the game.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well they did give up 67 points in the first half. It's not like they were exactly in playoff mode--let's hope. In the second half I kinda felt that Harden might have been feeling a little tanky. . . . Just no interest in seeing Denver maybe. Not gonna tank at Staples Center on ESPN. . . .

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's incredible that anyone would even think of this.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No we just got out coached, it happens from time to time with this team and is likely to happen during the playoffs.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

It made no sense to tank against PHX.

Tank against L.A and you still get the 7 seed, now they risk getting the 8th.

1 person likes this.
  6. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

No, Scola and Dragic played like all stars. THey played way above their averages this season. They obviously knew they could seriously impact the Rockets chances in the playoffs.

And the Spurs decided that playing the Lakers is easier than playing the Rockets.

And Harden tanked so he can be the guy to eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs :)

7. haydenfisher342

A legit question, someone brought this up in a game thread, I was mad during the game, when I read there comment, I understood and felt better.

8. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

They didn't tank.

Clutch had a video up a few days ago in which he said some of the players were actually WANTING Denver and wanted to take on that challenge.

I believe it was him being interviewed after a game the other night at the Toyota Center.

9. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think they did, at least subconsciously.

10. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

What do you think they're going to say? That theyre scared of Denver and they're praying against having to play them? Come on

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ridiculous thread. The only chance to make a series interesting was facing Denver, with them missing danillo and Ty and Kenneth being hurt recently. We blew that chance. Still happy we are making the playoffs and couldn't ask for more this season. However, you guys realize we will only end up 1 or 2 games ahead of 9th? That's something to keep in mind this summer for those thinking we should stand pat this summer.

12. AnHero

AnHero Member

ughh i do. why does everyone on this board want to lose to the lakers? The team obviously didnt play very hard last night

losing to the suns and then beating the lakers and getting the 7 seed is way better than

beating suns then losing to lakers and NOT being able to knock them out then us play Denver

I dont think we tanked as much Mchale was constantly subbing trying to keep everyone from exhausting themselves.

13. bmd

bmd Member

If the Rockets wanted the 7th seed, they would have tanked against L.A... not the Suns.

Because if you tank against the Suns, you would HAVE to win the game against L.A. If they beat the Suns, they can just rest easy against the Lakers.

14. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

LOL.... this was several days ago. When they were in SEVENTH and still trying to get to the 6th seed.

None of this was ON CAMERA or quoted. This was CLUTCH'S comments about what he HEARD from the players themselves - not talking to media.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

The Rockets did not tank on purpose. You would have to go back almost 30 years to find that kind of evidence (Hakeem says hi).

Most likely, weak effort from the onset set in, coupled with the Suns gaining confidence, snowballed into a defeat. We just do not have ovewhelming talent like the Heat, who can actually just coast into victories.

16. L7N

L7N Member

Rockets will not beat the Lakers at home. Its just not going to happen. Gasol and Dwight will throw a championship smackdown on our bigs.

OKC it is. First round exit a probability.

17. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

I don't think they tanked. They could easly have said we are resting the starters for playoffs, played them token minutes and let them sit. These guys are all competitors, no way they want to loose any game who wants to loose any competition when your competitors. Rather see them with SAS or Denver than OKC myself.

Cheers

18. L7N

L7N Member

The only way we win; all 5 of our starters get smoking hot from the arc. Harden will be neutralized by the refs, Lin has to fight through the twin towers.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

First round exit was the probability no matter what in all fairness.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I agree

Looking at Harden's body language, he wasn't even looking for anybody open. He just kept running into 3 defenders and half way throwing up contested shots. On defense he wasn't even competing, even after being benched. I watched his demeanor closely in the 2nd half and he CLEARLY wasn't giving any effort.