1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 4/12/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 11, 2013.

1. visible

visible Member

he should learn this after almost whole season is gone no matter how young he is.

2. hltiki

hltiki Member

I just skimmed the Cornell U study myself, and if anyone wants to read it, here it is:

http://www.psych.cornell.edu/sec/pubPeople/tdg1/Gilo.Vallone.Tversky.pdf

You can just do a quick google search, you don't have to visit sites such as Project muse, jstor, or ERIC.

With that being said, the main fallacy I see in this Cornell study is that it is looking at numbers without context. The researchers looked at the 76ers numbers in its entirety, and not in a game by game, moment by moment situation. As much as I'd like to be a numbers guy, I must admit to the belief in being in "the zone."

The human mind and spirit is one that math and statistics frequently and consistently underestimates.

Human beings are emotional creatures, meaning that they are consistently inconsistent and predictably unpredictable. Using numbers the way the researchers did mechanizes the man and his environment, and that, imo, is like the stranglehold placed on belief by both science and religion..

I should say that I appreciate the time you took to google and find such research, and that I am very inclined to believe you if not for my own personal experiences with basketball and everything else in life, from jiu jitsu, to writing, to teaching. Sometimes you have it, sometimes you dont; and when you do have it, it feels like you'll have the next one.

3. conquistador#11

george karl, when he was a sonic, used to say that they couldn't call illegal defense everytime down the court so he took advantage.

Memphis could live with harden at the line 14 times as long as they can still be physical and bump all throughout the game. and bump they did.

4. brick

brick Member

Rockets TOs 20, Grizzlies Tos 8, enough said.

5. wincan459

wincan459 Member

I have to agree with you that football wide receivers are the most athletic people, amazing.

6. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lol play off style

7. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I read remember reading this article back in college in statistics class. My professor made a solid point too, because he was a craps player like I am. It's hard to argue against. But from the standpoint of playing basketball most of my life, I actually look at it in terms of how likely I'll put up a good shot given the circumstances I'm playing in and what type of player I am. Lin was hitting shots in a tightly contested situation with the player in his face. He hit those types of shots last year and has shown to be able to hit them this year. To me it's not really about his hot hand, but about what conditions that tilt the chance that he'll hit the shots. He's still the type of player that'll hit more shots in situations like tonight.

8. jclee

jclee Member

I'm not a LOF, but F U on this post telling people to stop trashing harden! He shoots a lot and misses a lot plus 8 TOs so he should be trashed just like Lin gets trashed every game. Fair game.

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Seems like we closed the "Sometimes Harden would rather have 30 points and 9 turnovers" thread too early

Harden wants to test McHale's theory out ...

10. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Oh yeah, he knows already...just doesn't trust his teammates enough. This guy isn't John Wall, he's been in a well structured team setting, he's played with winners, and he's been to the finals.

Being young is not an excuse for him, give him more credit so he can take accountability.

Give me that team that won over Orlando & the Clips any day of the week over this team we're seeing now. May have had less talent, but they played better as a team than they've had this whole season.

Harden is our best player,no ****, but he's also detrimental to the team when he gets tunnel vision. Heck, even Bill Worrell was saying it tonight, several times.

Not blaming him though, it's on the coaching staff to make sure this team plays together.

11. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

Yes, Harden kept us in the game but lost it for us in the end but the whole team played bad in the 1st half.

12. visible

visible Member

refs were bad but not just to Rockets.

TOs and Iso ball cost us.

13. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Rockets fan here. To my fellow Rockets fans, throughout the whole season, if you keep getting the feeling that Harden just isn’t that good and doesn’t make his teammates better despite his inflated stats, you are correct. He is not a franchise player.
    11:59
    OKC knew this, traded him and haven’t missed a beat. Harden’s struggles against better teams are an indication of who he truly is; a good but far from great player. He shoots a mediocre 44% from the field and turns it over a ton. His signature skills are, drive hard to his left (can’t go right) or euro step into his defender no matter that. Houston gave an A+ contract to a B+ player. Truth.

14. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I agree with this. I remember I had two perfect games in my life, once going 11-11, and another going 7-7. If I were to look back at those games in the midst of statistics alone, I would be excluding the conditions that resulted in those perfect games.

15. visible

visible Member

in term of score, yes, harden seemed keeping us in the game. but who know if giving harden shots and every iso possessions to other players or made plays, we might out of mess earlier and win.

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

[​IMG]

Grizz where getting away with a lot of physical play. At least they are getting the Rockets ready for playoffs.

17. killerecho

killerecho Member

Calm down. No one called you an LOF. You can criticize Harden all you want, but blaming him for losing the game when he was the reason they didn't get blown out is unfair. If you don't like it when Jeremy gets hated on, why do the same against other Rox players?

18. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

"Being hot" is definitely a real thing, but of course it's not magic. It is due to context, and confidence/rhythm are part of that context. Of course it's not true directly just because you hit the last few shots, you're more likely to hit the next one. But people who deny that "being hot" is a real thing are just as dumb - it's entirely clear the mechanism by which it exists. So to the extent that it is not visible in the empirical data, it only proves that there is another mechanism working in the other direction (for example when you are more confident and more in rhythm you shoot more and take harder shots).

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

Are you serious? He has to be trolling right?