1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team has the best scouts?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carayip, Mar 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. carayip

carayip Member

I say the Kings. They drafted Peja at 14 in 1996, Turkoglu at 16 in 2000, Gerald Wallace at 25 in 2001. Peja's an All-Star and Turkoglu and Wallace could be starters on many other teams. I mean those were not exactly hyped prospects but still turned out to be very talented and productive players. No wonder they have such a deep team.

Rockets need to do a better job with non-lottory draft picks if they want to catch up with the NBA elites.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Rockets baby! We have T. Morris, M. Norris, and Steve Francis. Nobody scouts better.

3. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Spurs.

Parker - 28th Pick
    Ginobilli - 2nd round
    Giricek - 2nd round
    Scola (who?- wait) - 2nd round

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

They're just going through a good stretch right now...The Kings had some horrendous draft picks...

Pervis Ellison
    Lionel Simmons
    Billy Owens
    Bobby Hurley
    Corliss Williamson

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Whoa. Corliss wasn't a bad pick. He's a more than solid player and he wasn't a top 5 pick.

The Kings have had a huge organizational change since the Hurley, Simmons, Owens years.

They've been consistently good at finding talent late in the draft recently.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This is a joke right? What a find in that Tim Duncan fellow right? You also might put in Salmons, Holcombe, Brian Bracey, Chris Carrowell, Leon Smith, Felipe Lopez, and Derrick Dial along with the distinguished Scola.

In truth the best scouting team the last 10 years is obvious. It isn't the Rockets, Kings, or Lakers--who have pulled some pleasent surprises. By far the most consistent team at pulling gems from mediocre to bad picks is the Phoenix Suns. Stoud at 9, Jacobsen at 22, Tskaliades at 25, Marion at 9, Stephen Jackson at 43, Nash at 15, Finley at 21 and Person at 23. Nobody is even close in terms of relatively consistently doing more with their oppertunnities.

7. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

DS;

I didn't know this was about the "last 10 year" I thought maybe it was about wich scouts have done the most for their rosters RIGHT NOW. Spurs have drafted 25 or later since Duncan (notice I didn't list him); and have netted a starting pg, another 2 starting & playing well for Orlando, a 2 who will be starting for the Spurs from the 2nd round. Stop hating; of course its not a joke. Sure Phoenix has done well, but look at their pick position; every year in front of SA.

8. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

An Salmons was drafted FOR Philly; and Spurs got Claxton in return; juries out on Speedy (again I didn't list him).

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Spurs must have excellent international scouts. Without Parker and Ginobii, Spurs won't be in the hunt for the title this year.

10. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Wow, you HAVE to be kidding...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

11. Looogie

Looogie Member

Toronto has had a pretty good draft history, but not one of the best.

95 draft, #7 overall: Damon Stoudamire
    96 draft, #2 overall: Marcus Camby
    97 draft, #9 overall: Tracy McGrady
    98 draft, #4 overall: Jamison traded for #5 Vince Carter and $1m
    99 draft, #5 overall: Bender traded for Antonio Davis
    00 draft, #21 overall: Morris Peterson
    01 draft, #17 overall: Michael Bradley
    02 draft, #20 overall: Kareem Rush dealt for Chris Jefferies

12. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Toronto...not bad...

BUT THE Rockets must have some of the mediocre or lazy or just blind scouts.

The Pheonix Suns made some nice draft picks...

13. Desert Scar

Sure Ginobili and Parker were nice picks, but that is hardly enough for a trend. Further, it wans't like those guys were unknowns, the Spurs were in a position where they didn't need help immediately so they weren't worried if there were some contract difficulties or it would take them a while to be able to play here--especially in Ginobilli's case. But again both guys were already highly respected.

The title of the thread is who has the best scouts. I think in finding diamonds in the rough it really is no contest over the last 10 years, or 5 years if you want to see who has added the most to their current roster. I mean look at Phx even within the last 4 years--you don't even have to go back to the Nash, Finley, Person gem of picks, adding Stoud, Tskaliades, and Marion (9) where they were able to (9,25,9) is phenomenal scouting. What SA has been able to do just isn't comparable to that.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Huh?

The Rockets are right up there with Phoenix and Jerry West. Cassell, Horry, Mobley, Harrington, Kenny Thomas, etc. Their drafting prowess led directly to the acquisition of Francis.

Scar: I don't know if I'd put Tsakalidas up there just yet. Person isn't anything special either.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still trying to figure out what team Gerald Wallace could be starting on.

#15 RunninRaven, Mar 9, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  16. carayip

carayip Member

If James Posey could start, so could Wallace.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll have to respectfully disagree on that one.

18. Live

Live Member

You know, I've always been impressed with the way the Sonics draft, their picks usually become solid NBA players.

However, let me stress draft, because they've been terrible at signing FAs, especially Centers (*shudder*).

The Suns & Hornets seem to draft well, too.

The Blazers draft well, but they're all headcases so who cares. :D

19. Desert Scar

Agreed they are not in the class of Stoud, Marion, Finley & Nash picks, but historically those are pretty good players for picks in the mid 20s.

I should also add my comment on the Spurs picks is appliable to the Tskalaides pick. Many other people in the league knew Tskalaides (as with the Spurs guys) was a good prospect, much higher rated than where he was drafted. The Suns were set on being patient about when he could actually come over and play here (not worried about immediate return), turned out they got him out of his Euro ball contract obligations sooner than expected.

20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

The Rockets would be the best scouting team... IF they draft me ;)