1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isiah on Harden and Lin: Could be the best backcourt in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fighton, Apr 11, 2013.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I very much disagree. Jordan won nothing until Pippen. Shaq won nothing without Kobe and Wade. Kobe won nothing without Pau. Lebron won nothing until Wade. It's completely irrational to have Harden do everything and expect wins. We should expect more out of Harden? I disagree. He's doing enough on the offensive end. It would be better to conserve him a bit on offense so we can get better defense from him. And once again, Hardens efficiency drops considerably when he plays too much point. It's a recipe for a worse team oriented game which is exactly opposite to what we're trying to accomplish. So you want Harden to do more and play more minutes? I see where youre going with this but I completely disagree.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't say he sucked at talent evaluation, but yes, he was terrible at all the other parts of the job.

I don't think the Rockets need to move Lin.... however, if a better player becomes available you better believe Morey will help him empty his locker.

4. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

Why would they do that when they already play so well together. I would play them both together as much as possible. Besides its proven to win

5. Nook

Nook Member

Nope... Carmelo is every bit as bad, if not worse than Harden defensively. Further, Harden is the more efficient scorer, better passer and makes his teammates better. Carmelo is essentially in the mold of Adrian Dantley, Kiki Vandeweghe and Mark Aguirre.

6. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

he wont' trade lin for a better pg, but he will trade him to get d12 and probably only d12.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ohh I am not saying he WILL trade him for a better point guard... but if Chris Paul or another elite talent came available, you better believe Morey would pull the trigger. Morey is cold blooded.

8. conquistador#11

who wouldn't? we traded sammy and robert for a hof. Daryl would be an idiot not to make a trade like that. It's not being cold blooded, just smart.
    while we're at it, we can trade harden for Lebron and wade. it would solve two positions, if we play lebron at the four.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Probably the highest upside backcourt in the league is Cleveland. Irving/Waiters is very dynamic. Golden State also has a nice combo between Curry and Thompson.

Today, San Antonio is the best by far. No one is better than Parker/Manu when healthy.

Lin needs improve his reliability and 3 before the Rockets can enter the conversation.

10. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

I disagree. While Morey hasn't been shy about how he wants to build a contender, I think going after the wrong elite player could trap this team in cap issues for years to come.

I said in an earlier post, is Lin the best pg out there? no, not even close, but when you consider his current production + his ceiling at his current contract, he's more than fair value. His value becomes even less by year 3 (unless he's an allstar) and if he signs an extension (which, after working in pro sports for a number of years, I hate to assume things about players) which I think he would if they can keep the "core" together, he'd take a discount. (I think he'd have signed a 4 year $8 mil with the Knicks had they offered even anything).

A guy like cp3 would be great, but then you hope to trade Lin + young players + picks to get that 4 (which d12 would work, but you wouldnt be able to fit him under the cap unless you moved Asik as well) which I don't know if Morey would do.

My main point here is that cp3 would def improve this team (probably just short of being title contenders), but at the expense of taking a hit on the cap for a position he already has great value at. Hard to see this move.

11. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I agree with Thomas. But his status as a HOF player is irrelevant to me. He's shown himself to know less about how basketball works than a lot of people. The fact he was insanely talented as a player doesn't make his brain any better.

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Stopped reading after Isiah

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Isiah wants McHale's job? Whhhat

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

There were only two guards that gave Jordan fits playing him one on one... Dumars and Maxwell.

Joe D, was the ultimate class act...

T_Man

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

While Maxwell was just bat**** crazy. I had a few friends that met him out at clubs a few times. That Mad Max stuff was more than an act :eek:.

16. Fighton

Fighton Member

you guys are missing the point here...

it's not about isiah being a good or bad talent evaluator. it's about him speaking from his experience of playing with another combo guard in dumars and based on his experience, whether hardon and lin can work well together, and what they need to do to get to the next level.

you can hate him, and laugh at his works as a GM, but you can't discount the fact that isiah and joe played really well together as a tandem.

17. art

art Member

lin's contract is something isiah wouldve gamble on, lol
    isiah is a lin fan. he always spoke well of lin and his upside

it's only yr1 with lin and harden, and so far, so good.

18. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Harden
    OWS 9.9
    DWS 2.9
    WS 12.6
    WS/48m .214

Lin
    OWS 2.9
    DWS 2.3
    WS 5.3
    WS/48m .101

Backcourt Total WS 17.9

Curry
    OWS 7.5
    DWS 2.2
    WS 10.2
    WS/48m .173

Thompson
    OWS 1.4
    DWS 2.5
    WS 4.1
    WS/48m .073

Backcourt Total WS 14.3

OWS-Offensive Win Share
    DWS- Defensive Win Share
    WS - Total Win Share
    WS/48m- Win Share per 48 min./.100 is avg.

other backcourts
    Jennings/Ellis WS-9.0
    Paul/Crawford WS- 18.3

Lin/Harden are #2 in the League behind Paul/Crawford

C.Paul WS -13.2:eek:
    L.James WS 18.8 WTF:eek:

19. wapz

wapz Member

ginobli-esque- harden

and if lin gets his friggin j more consistent, then parker-esque

i would say this backcourt looks good. natural slashers, and with more training, better shooters in the future.

the guys over at golden state arent really good slashers, excellent shooters though, but slashing brings you a higher % to gain those FTs

20. Asian Sensation

I think he's factoring in potential and ability as well. Harden and Lin both possess the means to become lockdown defenders while Kevin Martin will never will no matter what he does or how hard he tries.