1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

How about the Rockets make the playoffs this year. And will look forward to the following season with games?

2. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

PLEASE it'll work 4 next season!

3. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I honestly don't see a meeting amounting to much.

5. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

6. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

While I'm inclined to agree, at least someone is trying to do something.

7. Nero

Nero Member

The city (and maybe the County) could simply propose and pass a painful tax on Comcast and the providers as an 'Operational Fee Tax' within the jurisdictional boundaries, with the proviso that the tax be waived should the parties involved come to an agreement within a certain time frame. In other words, make it cost them more NOT to come to an agreement than to go ahead and make a deal, no matter how far apart the sides may allegedly be.

I would actually support this, as taxpayers have already paid for these teams' venues anyway - they are really as much ours as they are theirs, and their stupid greedy fighting over money is hurting us, the taxpayers, and we should be able to demand restitution.

Go get em Anise!

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The mayor just propose a city tax designed to penalize the teams/providers for not providing coverage, so if it doesn't make sense not to get a deal done.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Hopefully this thing can happen now that the mayor is involved!

10. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

I for one am pissed that I missed an entire season because of this crap. i blame both sides, but I mostly blame the Lastros since they own the biggest percentage of the channel. Tired of watching games on a crappy internet feed where I can barely tell whats going on half the time. Does anyone know if the playoff games will be on CSN? They better hope that 60% of Houston doesnt have to miss out on the first playoff games in four years.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

The playoff games should be on one of the major networks. At least I hope they are!!!!!:mad:

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Parker invites DirecTV, U-verse and Suddenlink officials to summit meeting on CSN Houston carriage

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Don't think it will do any good, but get em Ms. Mayor.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

She could force them to a temporary compromise like NY did with YES and one of the providers up there.

That said, I don't see a deal getting done any time soon. CSN wants numbers that are out of line.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is this a realistic proposal or is it just for show? I don't really keep up with local politics. Like you said, it would be sweet justice to have the city pass a tax onto our sports teams on behalf of their fans, instead of the other way around the way it usually is.

Is there precedence for anything like this in other cities?

Eh, don't worry about that. Once a deal is struck between even just one of the big carriers, the others will be right behind them.

If not, I take back everything I've said in this thread about CSN and promise to focus all of my ire towards Dish. And that's a lot of ire......

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We still don't have any real indication of what the numbers are. Neither side has talked at all about specifics. The only clue we have is the occasional anonymously-sourced "reportedly" figure from David Barron, without any clue who the source or report is or what their motivation might be.

If nothing else, I think a meeting would be great because it could get some legit information out into the public realm, as opposed to vague PR statements that keep everyone guessing.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Call multiple times until you get "a good" person. I had to call back 3 times to get them to give me another 3 month HBO promotion because I was thretening to cancel.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And that is the issue, right there in a nutshell. Case closed.

19. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I wouldn't say case closed, though it does outline the problem. Maybe getting everybody into a room together will get something done.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I will happily pay $5 or $10 a month for the channel. I don't see how anyone can side with the network after seeing that statement. CSN is trying to fill our head with bull**** propaganda to put pressure on the providers, but ATT is very straight forward with that statement. It's obvious that CSN is full of ****.