1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale deserves credit for players' development

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howo13579, Apr 6, 2013.

1. bongman

bongman Member

You certainly are entitled to your own expectations of the team. But just as a point of reference,OKC first playoff experience:

================================================
    2009–2010 Season – 50–32 record, 8th seed.

Faced No. 1 seed eventual-champions Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference First round, losing four games to two

The only player in our roaster who has played a lot of minutes during the playoffs is Harden. IMHO, grading anybody on how they performed during their first playoff appearance (as a player or coach) is a bit unfair.

2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Is McHale doing the best for this organization? Definitely no.

We came in this season with 5 young PF's, PPat, Morris, DMo, TJones, and Royce. McHale, being an ex-GM, should understand the pedicament and direction of Morey.

What did McHale do with his rotations? He played Defino a lot at 4 while letting TJone and DMo (not gonna mention Royce here) rot at the end of the bench. Of course he knew Defino is not part of Morey's plan. If Morey had kept either Morris or PPat, IMO McHale would still let DMo and Jones rot at the end of bench. To him, some player(s) just don't deserve PT.

I gave a lot of credit to McHale for implementing this offensive system at the beginning of the season.

People often said youth is a huge disadvantage in NBA but McHale turned it into our best offensive weapon. It could've suggested by one of his assistents but credit to McHale who had the ultimate decision.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Why are people so concerned about the development of our worst players, when our best players are still developing?

4. rocketfaithful

We should make him the head coach.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

You mean developing Delfino at 4 while 5 young PF's on a "watch-and-learn" program?

Let me ask you this...how would you feel if you were Morey, who drafted all his PF's, watching Delfino at 4?

6. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

Don't agree with everything the OP says. I loved McHale as a player, but as a coach he leaves a lot to be desired. He is frequently out coached by those savy professional coaches especially during tight games. He has made some really bad descisions with substitutions during those games, you can see coaches like pop making substitutions and good game planing that McHale just doesn't keep up with. I'm not entirely impressed with his personal handling of players either. I don't want him to baby them, he caters to much to james, i want him like pop, yell at any player I don't care what you make if you don't want to play right which includes defense then get ready for a reaming.

I'm sure he will be back next year well see. Hopefully the core of the team stays together but with Morey you never know.

7. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I'm almost 100% sure you didn't watch the Spurs game... And lately the criticism of McHale has come during blow outs, which is equally as laughable as you claiming he gets out coached in close games.

We lose a game with our players just playing horrible, and people dump it back on our coach... Never will understand this thinking.

8. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

You have seen Dmo and Tjones play, and you can't for the life of you figure out why Delfino gets those minutes?

9. stefanb

stefanb Member

You made an excellent point. It has taught him how to move without the ball. LOF's should be kissing McHale's butt.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Based off how much time he has had with them, yeah I can only give McHale credit for Smith's growth.

As I said in my post, Parsons I credit Morey for finding a gem in the second round, but despite being better offensively this season, his defense has suffered. Lin, Harden and Asik all showed signs of this level while they were on other teams, hence I can't give McHale credit for developing any part of their game.

Lin is slightly better on defense this season, but most knew from last year toward the end of Linsanity that he would be a PG that can average a score in double digits and probably be just under 10 average assists based on how he played. His potential is higher as shown by Linsanity but really he is doing what should be expected.

Harden has had this potential for a while, with the increase volume of attempts, while it is a surprise he has done it out the gate, you can't say McHale or the coaches have done anything to improve his game besides give him the ball more.

Asik it is harder to say his offense hasn't improved but defensively he was brought in to do exactly what he is doing now. Like the others he is living up to his potential, I haven't seen anything from either the three mentioned or Parsons that speaks toward a growth brought on by coaching other then giving them more opportunities to do what we knew they could do.

11. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Cool story bro.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

WTF your calling me out because I said Sampson has been working with Greg Smith and Lin. What's the ****ing point of acting like an idiot trying to prove me wrong. Nothing you said proves it. Sampson has been working with Greg Smith and Lin. More with Smith but while McHale was out Lin said as much. Bullard just said during a game that Sampson has been working with Greg Smith and it has paid off. Do you only go to the games and miss the telecasts? There's more to working players out than just pre-game. Watch the games. Maybe McHale works with them individually but I haven't heard it. I hear he worked with TRob.

The OP wants to give credit for player development. And I guess you can give him credit if you want. He is the head coach. he could tell the other coaches not to help them. He isn't doing that. Okay he gets some credit. But I haven't heard McHale work with anyone individually other than TRob. He may have. I know I heard say something about Morris maybe he worked with him.

Maybe he worked with a lot of players individually but I have never heard that report. If you have discuss it. But quit being I ****ing morinic idiot about it. I get you like McHale. But I do not dislike him. I am a Rocket fan for many years I want what is best for the team. I think McHale is doing better as of late. he is consulting his staff and givng players a chance that he didn't want to look at before. He is consulting his staff and deciding not to double Aldridge in the second half. These are things that he has said so. Dispute them if you want but don't be ****ing idiot about it.

I get that you love McHale. I understand you are sensitive about anyone who disagrees with him. I will never attack you on your opinion about McHale even though I may disagree with it. But I am a Rocket fan and I want whats best for the Rockets and just do not think he is the best coach. So disagree if you want but quit acting like you are the only one who has information about the Rockets. In this information age that is just a stupid position to take.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol at just listening to sources for who works out with who & what goes behind the scenes. Yeah, those always tell the whole story. :rolleyes:

14. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

thats the players improvng. not mchale op

15. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Too long, didn't read.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ha ha... But we both know you did. ;)

17. panda ho

panda ho Member

no way! it took he a year, and still not figureed out how James and jeremy play together .

18. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

And you can't for the life of you figure out they are all rookies??

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I just mean we had better options in MM and 2pat, so the slack that they wouldn't take up or when one was injured (happened a few times), Delfino got the minutes because the others are unreliable. We see that now every game with our rookies. If you're going to play someone for 5-10 minutes at a position, it's better to know what you're gonna get than throw a wild card out there.

Now that there's minutes for all of them, we can experiment to see who's playing well that night. When you only have a few minutes, it'd be tough to work in the rooks. They are just too up and down in a short time period.

20. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Based on what I see, we have more chance winning with TJones at 4 than Delfino. I guess being a McHale homer, you just had to troll and piss everyone off.