1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

road trip your car vs rental

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Apr 7, 2013.

1. body slam

body slam Member

I'm in a wedding this summer in St Louis area. Instead of flying I was thinking about burning afew exta vacation days and road trip it. My car is 10+ years old and working on 200,000 miles. Never had a major problem with it. I'm thinking about getting a rental just in case there is a problem. I'd hate to break down out of state with my own car and have to wait no telling how long to get it fixed or worse towed back home at $4 dollars a mile.

Flying is a option but it has negative effects on me. So I try to avoid it when I can. And would still have to rent a car when I get there.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I usually rent cars when I go out of town. I always reserve an economy car and usually get upgraded. You should be able to rent for between 14 and 20 bucks a day easy (closer to 14). If you drive an old car you will probably make most of that up in gas savings plus you are saving ware and tare on your car which is an additional savings.

I highly suggest renting and preserve your car for your normal daily use.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I always rent for road trips and let my car get some hard earned rest.

4. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Maybe Royce can lend your his Winnebago

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Definitely rent. I work for a rental car company so its a easy choice for me. The discounts are awesome.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have about 217,000 miles on my 9.5 year old car and I never rent when going out of state. I've driven to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Houston, Austin, Memphis, Nashville, Louisiana, etc. I figure I bought the car to drive it, so I'm driving it until the wheels fall off. I also like the familiarity of my own car. I have slowed down my travels until I get a new car later because of your same fears, though. If you're worried your car may break down, then I guess drive the rental.

1 person likes this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Been on plenty of road trips. All originating from Houston with destinations to LA, Ohio, Miami, DC, and we have always rented.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think renting is the way to go here. Even if you are almost certain that you wouldn't have any problems, it's not worth risking the pain in the rear it would be if something happened.

9. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

It depends on how far for me. If it's around 1-3 hr drive, then I take my 18 year old car (1995 Toyota Camry with 210,000 miles). It gets 32 mpg highway consistently and I take care of all the maintenance plus I have complete confidence that it will make it to my destination and back. But if it's a 6 hr drive, then I'm renting a car. This gives you more assurance that it won't break down plus you'll have 24 hr roadside assistance and not put a lot of miles on your own car.

10. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I always just drop off my car at the dealer and get a loaner whenever I need to make a road trip. I only get 20-25k miles on my tires and they are way too overpriced for me to be taking road trips on. Those guys at the dealer sometimes forget they have my car and I just drive the loaner around for weeks before I hear anything back from them.

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Big fan of renting -- put those miles on someone else's car. I always rent with the name your own price feature on priceline and usually get between $12 and 16 per day. For that price, there's no reason for the wear and tear on your car.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

How do you pull that one off?

13. updawg

updawg Member

Don't rent from an airport you will probably pay more in taxes compared to other sites

Reserve online and you can get one for $12-$18/day. The reservation isn't binding on rental cars for some reason. They will most likely upgrade you when you show up, if not ask what your options are

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Remember the "low" price per day is for the car itself. Hidden charges not included are insurance and gas. They will get theirs...believe it.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Holy **** is this true. I went to Bush International Airport to rent mine and got ripped the **** off. My friends and I didn't know any better and we were young and stupid.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

whenever I look up reserving a rental online it's always a lot more than 14 bucks a day. Which company are you guys going with?

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Depends on the purpose of the road trip. If the purpose is to go from A to B, I rent. If the purpose of the road trip is to actually enjoy the journey, I take the car I specifically bought for road trips.

18. updawg

updawg Member

You might have to pay more for going out of state. Adjoining states are usually ok, but past that can add cost

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this. i don't think i've ever seen them for less than $50 day. i've only rented twice and they were both picked up from the airport. that's probably why.

#19 macalu, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you're driving for more than 6 hours, rent.

If you have an old car, you don't want to worry about breaking down. If you have a new car, you don't want to put all the miles on it.

Get a reservation for the smallest car they have. Then when you show up, they probably won't have one available and they'll upgrade you for free. If they do have one available, you can always pay for an upgrade.

Don't ever buy a car for a roadtrip. You may end up with something like this:

[​IMG]