1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A With Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rainjacket, Apr 5, 2013.

1. solo241

solo241 Member

I don't think anyone personally hates him as a player. What infuriates many fans is the collateral mess that comes with having him on your team.

In other words, people dislike the fan base, not the player.

1 person likes this.
  2. sean joh

sean joh Member

yes, especially while reading the feuding news between CP3, BLACK and Jordan, you would feel more appreciations for this young team~

3. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

You missed the next question and answer after that one:

JCF: Do you consider yourself a clutch player?

JL: I think it’s too early to be able to say that. I don’t even know my numbers, but I do know I’ve made some key mistakes in fourth quarters so, no, definitely not yet.

This concerns me because it seems to me that he still lacks confidence in himself which can affect his play. He needs to quit focusing on his mistakes... its a mental thing and he needs to get past it it seems. When he shows confidence in himself, he seems to play better. No one can do that for him but himself.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Only a C grade? LOFs faints. :grin:

5. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Well if your coach is capping your minutes at 32avg (even when your starting sg and sf are out with and injury) and sometimes not even playing you in the 4th wouldn't you say that 13/6 is misleading or his real ceiling? 13/6 is kind seems doctored to me by observing Mch's subsitution style.

6. kanariya

kanariya Member

good read. humble guy.

7. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Nah McHale and LOHs faints, shouldn't Beverly be starting over him by now?!?! He should be giving himself an F

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

thats him being humble, stats says otherwise. I bet if you accumulate all his mistakes especially dumb ones, it would be mostly committed in the first half. He has been very clutch in the 4th quarter especially in close games. So no, there is no mental block in this case.

9. HL3

HL3 Member

It's sad because a handful of nuts (or possibly trolls) ruin it for everyone on both sides. I mean, which soft spoken and reasonable Lin fans would even want to identify themselves as Lin fans when they're just going to get lumped in with the crazies?

The good posters don't want to have anything to do with the whole thing while the bad posters turn the forum into a battlefield.

10. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

I agree, the haters are more obnoxious than the fans though. At least the fans are rooting for something and not against something.

11. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Not always true, not speaking towards all Lin fans but some do tear down other Rockets players or staff to either prop up Jeremy or make excuses for him. I think that is why some on here get really irritated and tired of a lot of it.

12. nickg

nickg Member

Of course he expects more, but that doesn't mean its realistic. He's playing next to a ball dominant guard and has one of, if not the lowest usage rate for a starting pg and plays fewer minutes than the majority as well. Consider that along with the fact that his role is diminished compared to when he was in new York ( and certainly diminished next to the other pgs you would compare him too ) and he's giving you about what should have been expected. Soild d, nearly 2 steals a game, a respectable percentage from the floor and 13 and 6.

He will improve, as will the team as they all adjust to playing together. His usage rate ( I think he's just now getting close to 21% after being well under 20% for a long time ) along with his production has been steadily increasing as the season has gone on. All of that ****, along with coming off the injury, has impacted his play.

13. kanariya

kanariya Member

Don't judge the fan base by the individuals on the forum.
    Back in the days people were calling others YOF and such.

In the end we are all Rockets fans. I hate these YOF, LOF, HOF, etc.

I wonder if Lakers board call others KOF?

14. ngazi

ngazi Member

King of Fighters.

15. Jedster

Jedster Member

There was always those who wished Lin had an injury so that Beverly could play.
    So you can't really say that.

16. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well, I think in 32 mins, 16/8 can be done. Simple things like get one more layup in, and don't miss a free throw. And of course Asik dunking the ball in before he gets fouled, so that Lin can get an assist or two.

I definitely don't think 13/6 is his ceiling, and I believe that if Lin ran the whole 40 mins, he could do 18/8. And given that he did pop 20+ points 3 games in a row just recently with more minutes, 18/8 actually sounds reasonable.

That being said, this is about what Jeremy thinks he could be doing, not our own projections so who knows. Just know that 13/6 isn't good enough for him and that's great.

17. nickg

nickg Member

Its not only about minutes though. Also how he is used and his role in the offense. This has changed from the first couple of months. Usage rate is going up, his role is increasing. Its a natural evolution for the team. Most are young, relatively inexperienced, and didn't really work together much as a whole in the off season.

18. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Tell that to the little kid that spit on his at the Knicks-Bulls game. But then he could just be hating the Knicks....:grin:

19. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Most people who follow Lin would probably give him the same grade. I personally love Lin's game and I'd give him a C-. I'd give him a D, if not for the clear improvements in his 3 pt shooting and the fact that he was coming off knee surgery at the beginning of the season. Also, it was troubling to see his mid-range game lack more diversity than expected this year more than anything. Also, his conditioning is terrible for a young NBA player, imo. When he gets a bit tired, his defense, jumpshot, and energy clearly go.

Considering that I judge his impact on the game to be high, or at least has the potential to be high, he has a ways to go. I believe he will get there, haters or fanatics be damned, he looks like he knows what he needs to improve on. I'm hoping for at least a 16/7 season from him next year, capping his contract year off with an 18/8 season. Of course, if he is making winning plays, I could care less whether he averages 10/5, but I do believe that his numbers should go up and that it will be positiely correlated with the Rockets' record in the years to come.