1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF Rudy leaves then who?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Mar 5, 2003.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Buddy Ryan.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jim Cleamons. Phil Jacksons right hand man. He was hired in Dallas with the Ross Perot regime, the regime didn't last long and Nelson was brought in. Once in, he was out. He is known as a fiery no nonsense type of guy in the Lakers and Bulls organization. I'm pretty tired of the retreads like Van Gundy,Dunleavy, and even Mike Fratello. I think the triangle offense would be the best thing for Ming ,Francis and the entire team. Just my thought. Why would we want Dunleavy who had a talented Bucks team he couldn't take to the playoffs and a super talented Blazers team that regressed under him?

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Anybody who mentions/mentioned Walton should be shot.......

4. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

1. GS's Musselman Jr.!!!!!! if you can bag him....

2. I also like Van Gundy or Donnie Jr (though not likely to be given walking papers to sign).......

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy should do the job, he may be a horrible announcer, but she should be a hack of coach, most of things he said during the game were right on the point, and this guy know rockets more than everybody else. one thing he need to do when he become the coach is to get ugly, he's too soft to the player when he is the ft shotting coach.

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I would be wary of buying into the new wave of non-experienced ex-player c*m broadcasters as a coach.Doc Rivers has done a good job, but aside from that most have had some experience, either as an assistant, or as a CBA/college coach.

I wouldn't go near Walton, Murphy, etc...Do we really want a guy to learn how to coach while trying to navigate the complicated waters which even Rudy is seemingly unable to negotiate tou our satisfaction? 2 or 3 years ago, sure...but not now. The best choices are probably guys sitting on a bench somewhere right now, or in the college ranks. I prefer the former...don't go for a name, go for a resume...does anyone have any breakdowns on who some of the up and coming assistants are thought to be? I know Nelson..anyone else?

As far as ex-big names, Van Gundy is a poor choice for this team, but Dunleavy might not be too bad. Larry Brown would be excellent, but I doubt we can get him.

7. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

I am a fan of Donnie Jr., but i don't think we can match Cuban's ofer, since we are in the same confrence, state.

Don sr. might demand to stay on as head couch. If the Mavs make it out of the second round, I don't see how Cuban can say no.

Donnie has been promised that job already. The Little General's name has popped up a few times as well.

Don sr. had a handshake deal to walk away from the head coach position and take a front office gig, but has changed his mind. Cuban won't talk to him about it until the offseason.

What do you think of Avery Johnson? He is a very sharp guy and runs most Mavs practices. He is coaching the practices of the team with the best record in the NBA.

That is something no Rocket coach has done in a long, long time.

In any case, if the Rockets crumble, there are a lot of options out there.

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I want to keep Rudy, but if Les lets him go,,,,

the no to Van Gundy, Double no no to Pat Riley or Mike Dunleavy-remember how the Blazers collapsed against the Lakers in the 7th game. He would be so hated by our fans.

I like Jim Lyman-Charkles Barkley's coach in the early 90's in Phila. I like George Karl- he won 60 games consistently for Seattle. I am afraid Charles Barkley could not handle the pressure- though he makes me laugh.

I really like John Lucas and he may fit in better than anybody I can think of.

We will lose a lot of ground if we change coaches, keep Rudy

9. firerudyt

firerudyt Member

i agree with zzhiggins. carroll dawson would be good, but i don't know if he could be an enforcer. the dude just looks too nice. one thing is for sure, the "child molester glasses" have got to go, carroll.

10. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Harrick Sr is availabe now.

[
    QUOTE]Originally posted by daniel-bfl
    Junior is already available.
    Sr will be so next week.
    [/QUOTE]

11. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

hehe.....sure we would want him.

Rudy...will not leave!!!!