1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A With Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rainjacket, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-jeremy-lin-1

JL: I think I’ve always been a player who’s done better in the second half, who’s done better in the fourth quarter. That’s the fun time to play when everything you’ve worked for the whole game boils down to those last few possessions.

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"[O]verall [Lin has] been very mediocre."

3. ngazi

ngazi Member

Translation: I am better than you think.

4. hltiki

hltiki Member

pretty good and honest q/a

5. hltiki

hltiki Member

we all know there is a lot of drama on this board, but perhaps this will help ease some of it.

JL: Oh definitely. We’re all competitors and we all want to do well personally and have that success individually. But at this point we’re seven games away from the playoffs. Everybody really, really has to buy in proactively and be like, ‘You know what? It doesn’t matter. As long as we win tonight, nothing else matters.’ I think that mindset signifies trust, accountability and maturation. That’s where we want to go and I think the first step is to start talking about it.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Jeremy's a good dude with maturity beyond his years. He would definitely be a great influence on a team as a leader when he gains more experience and gets better. Harden is our leader by virtue of his great offensive ability but he's kinda quiet (it seems) and a combination of Lin, Harden, and Parsons make a great leadership core that the team will follow for years to come. Good things are ahead for us and I do believe that we have a special team.

7. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well he failed to live up to my 16 pts, 8 assts expectations.
    But he gave me an autograph so I forgive him. LOL

But before anyone says that 16/8 is too much to expect from him, Lin probably does expect that much from himself. After all, he's 13/6 and says he has been mediocre. I can definitely see him improving by 3/2 per game next season, maybe even by 5/2.

8. Roxs-Redemption

Admin edit -- please don't post the whole article... click the link. They did the work, they deserve the pageviews.

9. cw3k

cw3k Member

He doesn't have to get 16/8 if 1 and 2 are doing well. But if the front court is not doing well, he needs to step up and go beast mode. No more passive and generous. Just be aggresive and selfish.

10. gah

gah Member

It's bad etiquette to post the whole article when you can reward the writer with a simple click. Jason deserves those.

11. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Don't encourage people to not read the article. Jason Friedman has posted here for years and he deserves our support by reading the article from the original source

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ok, i am going to click the link.:grin:

13. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Nice. It's another option in case the link doesn't work for some reason.

14. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

a C, hes pretty harsh on himself. Hes noticiably stepped his game up. id give him a B or b-

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no suprise at all. i notice it and was saying it a long time ago. you can search my posts to prove what i just said.

somehow, lin's game gets better on both end when a game goes deep. it's very easy to see his offense since we have so many data out there for ppl to read. his defense is also picked up too in 4th qt. like the last game, thomas's last shot (a close range jump, about 8 feet to the rim) of his many tries was a miss coz lin just stood his ground and put his big body on him. it bothered thomas so much that thomas missed the shot.

1 person likes this.
  16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I am very happy for Jeremy, good in him, the whole linsanity was a great story however I wasn't particularly excited when he came here, but he is part of a very fun backcourt and this team has been a breath of fresh air.
    I said if Jeremy could average 14-7 and his TO's weren't terrible I'd be happy, and he has done close to that. His work ethic and maturity are a credit to him. I don't think he will ever be an all-star or anything, but he is establishing himself as a starter on an above average nba team while developing his own game.

Where i may have preferred to keep goran or Kyle last season, I really feel having Jeremy has been great for the franchise, and his on court displays have been great at times, if not a little inconsistent. He has the most upside of the three mentioned and people forget he's still developing

17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Graded over the whole season, his C seems reasonable... but the final exam (playoffs) is 50% of his grade, so he can still pull it up to a B.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The assists will go up 2 or 3 when guys learn to hit their shots. When Parsons gets more comfortable shooting 3 pointers. When Asik learns that he can slam dunk the ball. When the wings learn to cut to the basket. Already these things are starting to happen ... ever so slowly.

Once his teammates are scoring, the defense will be less focused on Lin, and he can look for his own shot.

19. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I personally like his answer below better.

"JL: Yeah, I believe that. I believe that some players relish that time and other players struggle during that time. I think I’ve always been a player who’s done better in the second half, who’s done better in the fourth quarter. That’s the fun time to play when everything you’ve worked for the whole game boils down to those last few possessions."

He is right on, someone posted stats in this forum on Lin being a better second half and 4th Quarter player throughout his life, be it in high school, college or the nba. I hope the coaching staff takes this into consideration.

For some reason Lin has always been a really slow starter, he needs to become fully warmed up to become really effective. I can sort of relate to it because when I play ball or any sport, I get a really winded the first 10 minutes or so (breathless and woozy) and then after I get my second wind, I can play for hours without getting tired or feeling any of the symptoms. Not sure if Lin has the same experience. Djokovic the tennis player had something similar and after changing his diet he has become a superman.

Anyway, from what I have seen of Lin, he has rarely been extremely effective in the 1st quarter. In games that he has been below average, usually he stinks it up in the 1st quarter and then loses confidence, its a cycle. In games he is ok in the first quarter, he is much more effective later on. I guess he needs to either change his diet ala Djokovic or his warm up ritual.

20. GWST11

GWST11 Member

What a humble and honest person, yet hated on by many.