1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Lin be best as a 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Should Lin be our new 6th man?

1. Yes, it would take a lot I pressure off of him.

91 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No, he should remain our starting PG

344 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It really sucks that the OP is going to be bashed for telling it like it is.

2. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

To me, it would work either way. The point is, Lin is (imo) exponentially better when he is the sole-ball handler.

3. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

They're probably both individually better when they can dominate the ball, but the 5 guys on the floor might be collectively better with both of them playing together. I'm just speculating though...

4. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

Back to back double/double and you want him to come off the bench? I truly thought NY Knicks fan are the dumbest bunch but some of you are really pushing into that territory.

5. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

Youngest team in the league and might win 45+ games and you want to mess with that lineup? Seriously folks, y'all New Yorkers?

6. sew

sew Member

Because Harden is a considerably better first option.

I would love to see Lin come off the bench. This isn't a knock on Lin, but he's clearly a more effective player when he has the ball in his hands.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The line-up was already messed with and at the same time the OP's point was proven when Harden was out. Lin was dominant and the team looked good.

8. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Have you actually watched the games? Lin is much better when Harden is not on the floor. Its people like you, LOF's, that would prefer Lin start and do worse than have him be a 6th man and do great.

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

If it wern't for the max K, Harden would be better suited to being a 6th man because a 6th man is needed for scoring, and Harden is a better scorer, whereas Lin is a better facilitator. Lin really enjoys making things happen by passing, which often leads to over-passing IMO. Under the Rockets' system, Lin is probably the player they can trade to get a good value in return. I am all for it, even though I am a Lin fan.

10. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

I've watched every game. They are on pace for 45+ wins. You folks want to mess with a young PG mindset for?

11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

This isn't New York. We don't need to win now. I can tell there's a lot of New Yorkers here stirring the pot.

12. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

As long as Lin plays enough minutes to be able to sufficiently contribute to the team, I don't really see a problem with the 6th man position.

13. zdrav

zdrav Member

The offense flows like blood through a clogged artery when Bev is running the show.

The Rockets dominate when Harden and Lin have one of those combined 50 pt 20 ast games. That's what McHale should be trying to create every night.

14. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Lin is much better when he got his PG role with Harden or without Harden.

15. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I respectfully disagree. Maybe they can work it out, but as of now Lin is a completely different player with Harden on the floor.

16. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Right? Lin is playing the best extended stretch of ball he has in his life. A gem of a double-double last night with 15 and 10 dimes, knocking down three (of six) from beyond the arc. Beverly cannot improve on that.

I understand that Hardin dominates the ball, but that doesn't mean you don't want another playmaker on the floor with him at all times.

17. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think the discussion is spurred by a noticeable drop of effectiveness with the two playing together. Its not vitriolic, so no need to bash the discussion.

18. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

I don't think it will hurt to have Lin play the role of a spark off the bench. Lets face it, Lin is most effective when the floor is spread out, guys cutting and he can do his pick and roll thing. Lin mentioned this floor spacing structure many many times.

But that structure doesnt usually work with Harden. Other than the few times a game when Lin does PnR with Harden, Harden will usually camp at the top and it leads to Lin operating on just one side of the floor leading to ineffective plays. That said, again we need and should default to Harden everytime and play to his strengths first, so Lin needs to accept that. This also means, Lin could do his thing with the second team and be more effective at a higher rate, its a win win for everyone.

19. brick

brick Member

Actually the coach has tried a few times to stagger their minutes. And Rockets did very well when Lin was THE PG not one of them. When Harden plays the point, he gets very good ASTs but Rockets offense and defense struggle a little.

20. Lihao

Lihao Member

it can be easily done by staggering their minutes. 6th man or not, in the end , they still need to learn how to play with each other and maximize their talents .Give them time to figure it out, i would expect a much consistent performance from both after a offseason training camp