1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale has finally broken the camel's back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pollaxt, Apr 1, 2013.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

As the Orlando Magic came within 5 points of the lead with 3 minutes left minutes left and the entire Rockets benched stood up and looked on helplessly and hopelessly while Kevin McHale did absolutely nothing, something inside me broke. And as someone who NEVER starts threads, I felt compelled to this time even though I'm sure it will be merged to the Fire McHale thread.

I haven't been a fan of McHale despite his quotes but tonight (and in spite of the win) I've had it. 2 minutes is an eternity in basketball, something that should be even more evident during March madness. And McHale did nothing. He kept in the same reserves that squandered a 15 point lead. As the Magic grabbed rebounds and drove to the paint without any hindrance while Omer Asik (who had managed to acquire 22 points and 18 rebounds in 3 quarters of play) watched, McHale did nothing. As Delfino missed 3 pointer after 3 pointer, McHale did nothing. As Motiejunas played like he belongs on the Baylor women's basketball team, McHale did nothing.

McHale has accomplished nothing as a head coach and has won nothing. When he wins a championship, he can do things "his way." But the Houston Rockets are in a playoff race and fighting to hold on to the 7th seed, while working towards the 6th seed. I cannot abide a head coach of sports organization being stubborn and hard headed when he has not accomplished anything worthwhile in his profession. If you win 20 in the Show, you can let the fungus grow back on your shower shoes and the press will think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the Show however, it means you're a slob. The only reasons I can think of for McHale not to put Asik and Lin at the 2 minute mark, while grasping onto a fading 5 point lead, are these: vanity, arrogance, pride and stubbornness. The Rockets need as many wins as possible and any reason that McHale will inevitably give about "giving guys a chance to finish the game" will only serve to emphasize those reasons.

For me, the countdown to Kevin McHale's eventual displacement as the head coach of the Houston Rockets started at the 46 minute mark on April Fool's Day 2013 against the Orlando Magic.

The Rockets almost lost tonight...as McHale did nothing.

7 people like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

chill out. Not that big of a deal. I would have done different but you are being a drama queen. Win = win. Missing 2 leading scorers and the bench helped secure that big lead we got. Lin/Asik need rest.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

This thread is soooo original...

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Thought you meant breaking Harden's back.

5. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

Yet we won! Giving the players the opportunity and experience to play under that pressure will help in long run!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He just said in an interview he wanted to let the guys on the court show they can finish.

Whether you agree with that decision or not, they still got the win. Take a step back from the ledge...

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At the end of the day, we managed to give full rest to Harden and Parsons and allowed Lin and Asik to ride the bench with well deserved rest and still win. It was RISKY. I agree, but if we are winning these games with well needed rest for our key players with the playoffs nearing.... why not?

8. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

but they won, Right? Thats impressive for doing nothing.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

THREAD DELETED

10. davek

davek Member

I was pissing my pants....but I agree with Mchale on this one and I am a Mchale hater.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think McHale has done a great job this year. Youngest team in the league is 41-33, just amazing.

12. LivinLikeLarry

Nah tonight can't be the night that gets him canned. He could just say playing the bench in such a tight game was an April Fools Joke ;)

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Every thread is either 5 stars or 1 star. This thread for example has:

5 one star votes
    1 five star vote (I wonder who that could be) :rolleyes:

Edit: since posting this 10 seconds ago the thread has received 1 more 5 star vote and another 1 star vote

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What exactly did this team lose by giving up a big lead?

Did coach take a gamble? Check.

Did we get the win? Check

Did our starters get extended rest? Check

Did our young players learn to play under pressure in a situation normally reserved for veterans and starters? Check

Did fans get to watch an exciting game? Check

Did coach demonstrate trust in his players? Check.

3 people like this.
  15. ManOnfire

ManOnfire Member

Couldn't this knee jerk rant have gone in the "fire mchale" thread? Oh wait, you never considered that did you? People seem to want attention and throw their tantrums. Enjoy the win

16. gengar

gengar Member

If the OP wasn't a 2003'er, he woulda been flamed and crucified as a LOF for saying what he said. Just pointing that out.

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the players are assets to the gm, but not to the coach.

18. lola eskuala

lola eskuala Member

Good on you to have the decency to still correctly spell his name. As for me, i think that mispelled name suits his coaching level just fine ;):cool:

19. amak316

amak316 Member

Man, McHale hates camels too? I thought he only hated Lin

20. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

5 star thread.