1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analysis: McHale and his negative impact on our players' confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gengar, Mar 29, 2013.

1. gengar

gengar Member

Today's game, Mchale benched our starters because they were playing bad. It was a legitimate move, and after our bench brought back our team back by a little, he decided to stick with them. But after seeing that it clearly wasn't going to work, and after seeing how our bench started to get exhausted, he did not bring the starters back in. We were losing by 9~11 points in the 4th quarter, there was still a good chance to come back. Mchale's refusal to put our starters back in caused even the opposing team's Grizzly commentators to say things like "I'm curious what Mchale has to say in his post-game interview...I'm not in the business of criticizing coaches...but..."

You could argue that Mchale did this to rest our starters for tomorrow's game, or to "teach" a lesson to the starters for playing bad. Regardless of justification, you could see the terrible expression on the starters' faces. Their confidence has been shot down by Mchale, who was unwilling to trust them to finish the game that was still within reach.

But this wasn't the first time our players' confidence was shut down by Mchale. Mchale has been notorious for blaming our players in post-game loss interviews where he points out what they weren't doing. Additionally, he has never taken responsibility as a coach for the game losses. A total contrast from coaches like Woodson who took blame even for his player's injury (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...oodson-takes-blame-for-carmelo-anthony-injury)

And we thought Mchale had gone low. To make matters worse than calling out his players to the media, he called out a specific player. Jeremy Lin, who scored 29 points with 3 turnovers post-OKC game, was criticized by Mchale for being selfish. Mchale made-up an imaginary 9 turnover stat to bad-mouth his starting PG in front of the media.

Some of our "raw" players, like Terrence Jones or D-Mo, has never been able to get enough playing time because our coach never really trusted them. It has only been through the absence of the PF spot that D-Mo finally received a chance to play - something that would have never happened if Mchale had a choice.

Tonight's game revealed Mchale's lack of trust in his players. Our players were just dead on court tonight..not from exhaustion, but because they knew that their coach gave up on the game before them. Their faces revealed everything. We knew Mchale was a cowardly coach who stomped on his player's confidence, but tonight was a new low - a coach who gave up on the game before his players did.

Regardless of whether you think Mchale's sub patterns are bad or good, or whether his plays are dumbed down or ingenious, we can all agree that Mchale is NOT a coach that instills confidence in his players. And because the Rockets are the youngest team in the league, this is especially alarming because young players tend to get shaken up mentally much easier than veteran players.

I have joined the boat to petition to get Mchale out of Houston. I may be a 2012-er but I can see simple logic and common sense, and I know Mchale will just destroy our team sooner or later as he is doing now.

You argue that Mchale has led the youngest team to 7th/6th seed, I argue that our players already had enough skills & potential to make it there. I even say that this coach has cost us about 7 or 8 games due to his horrible decision-making, iso-plays, terrible substitution pattern. But that's besides the point.

We can all finally agree, whether you are a LOF, LOH, Veteran, Clutch, Troll, that Mchale has a NEGATIVE impact on our players' confidence.

5 people like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Another armchair psychologist...

3. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

spot on. I would've made a similar poost long time ago had I been able to create threads

4. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

McFail is not a good leader of men...he takes no responsibility for his mistakes, does nothing to boost morale, is a horrible tactician, looks like a unkept schlub half the time at games...this guy is not fit to be a professional coach

1 person likes this.
  5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Man, this thread is going to be really original and insightful.

1 person likes this.
  6. Karolik

Karolik Member

Same thing I say to LOFS

U Mad Bro?

7. jamescar

jamescar Member

This has to be one of the more ignorant analysis I have seen in a long time. These are NBA players, not middle school.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Can't watch games so can't comment on specifics of tonight

BUT

If you want "well be battled you know, those guys they just battled for me all night. It's my fault we lost, it's on me. Those guys battled all night, it's all on me"

Then you need to wait till the fall, there is a coach in town who will do that for you

1 person likes this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What are the reasonable expectations of this team? They are the youngest team in the league, they haven't played together very long and they collectively have little experience playing significant minutes in the NBA. Quite frankly, your analysis is based mostly on the knee-jerk emotions of a fan who does not know a lot about basketball.

10. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

criticising players and benching starters in 4th when absolutely not certain of playoff spot has won many championships.

pop does that, yes, but he has a reason to bench, not just because he felt like it. pop has a system and is a Coach. mcfail is a coach

11. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

There's a whole lot of subjective opinion in this post for a thread titled "Analysis". You're assuming a lot about what you visually read on the players faces, how you think players will respond, and their confidence levels.

And I'm not sure if you'll find that everyone will agree with this bolded statement.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOF thread, just ignore.

1 person likes this.
  13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I declare this the 2012-13 only thread!

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL

Stop crying, we lost a game, big deal.

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Lost confidence from being. Benched? ??LOL

16. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

So you guys think that mchale bears zero responsibility for the team's preparation before this game and in game adjustments and execution? It's one thing if mchale has a winning system like Phil Jackson or Pop and his starters are not committed to it... But mchale has no system, he has no gameplan. This isn't speculation this is well known. What right does mchale have to be mad at his players, the players should be mad at him! What do you think harden is whispering to harden about on the bench in that fourth quarter?

17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

how does an nba player lose confidence by being benched?

every coach benches players

LOFs dont get this

18. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Fixed.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why should anyone agree to that? You've presented no evidence, and none of us are mind readers.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member