1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2013 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The problem is that all of their future shortstops are still a year or two away. They certainly don't want to invest a lot in that position at the immediate major league level.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Today's game on CSNH -- 12:05 CT

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Woot!! Sitting just behind 3rd base.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's the weakest position on the team by far. There's pretty zero chance that the Astros will get even ML average performance from that position. It's not likely for a lot of other positions, but its possible.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Game called after 5(rain). Astros win 4-1.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man, Brett Wallace really crushed that homerun ball. Hopefully he can keep up his power surge in the reg season.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

oh, believe me, i understand. just crazy to see your starting SS picked up off waivers right before the season starts.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

which is really cool for about 35% of the fan base

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm always really skeptical of magical hitting coach swing fixes, but I heard an interview on 790 a few days ago with Brett Wallace where he talked about the hitting coach a lot. It didn't impress me so much that Brett said his hitting was better based on changes to his swing that the hitting coach had made. You always hear that kind of stuff, especially in spring training. What impressed me was that Wallace said that before he sat down with the hitting coach (website says his name is John Mallee...never heard of him), the coach had personally sat and watched every plate appearance of Wallace for the past 3 years.

That clearly is an investment in time and is more than just a guy standing and watching him from a batting cage and telling him his hips are flying open too early. So I have a twinge of hope that perhaps this guy's insight might be real and maybe Wallace will blossom based on his instruction.

It's Spring. Hope springs eternal and all that.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

WTHB (@whattheheck57): Two minor league cuts today - Adam Bailey and Ben Heath.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought Luhnow said that the Astros needed depth at C in the minors. Go figure.

13. SupermoochieFro

Anyone else uneasy about Justin Maxwell's status of being a "lock" to make the team even despite a pretty poor spring. He's been outperformed by just about every OF and quite handily too by Brandon Barnes both offensively and defensively. Take away Maxwell's homers last year and he was actually pretty bad.

I know whoever is playing CF is only there keeping Springer's seat warm but I'd like to see more competition allowed for the starting CF spot especially when you consider that JMax is no longer a prospect at 29yrs old and has shown no positive signs other than the 18 or 19 homers from last year. I'm just nitpicking I suppose.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Me. I figured with a poor spring, he'd at least have to fight for his position...which doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'm hoping the leash is short.

15. SupermoochieFro

Sucks for Bailey, he's still relatively young and had a great run in 2011 where he was raking the ball.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Take away his home runs? :confused:

Take away Mark McGwire's home runs and he was actually pretty bad.

It is Spring Training. Stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. Jeff Bagwell had some terrible springs, while Travis Buck looks like a HOF every Spring.

Do I think his spot should be guaranteed? No. I actually think it is pretty pointless to carry Barnes, Ankiel, and Maxwell, who all have similar skillsets. It was pretty much guaranteed that 2 of the 3 were going to make the team, because we need to carry 2 players that can patrol CF.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart:) #Astros roster clarifies even further, with Peacock & Barnes told they made the club, Laird reassigned to Triple-A. http://t.co/jRCkeXQQDT

18. juicystream

With Wallace/Perez/Stassi/Morales/Heineman plus Castro in the majors, seems like we have a lot of catching depth. I thought it was strange when he said it.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The parentheses were supposed to be closed, by the way.

Tough news for Laird.

20. juicystream

I have to figure that means Peacock is in the rotation.