1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Receives Ticket For Driving 2 MPH Under

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smr6, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Everyone drives 80 in the fast lane when it's clear (southern California, not sure how it is in other places). I've literally never seen anyone go the speed limit under those circumstances. I've driven 80 and have actually slowed down traffic, so I'll move over when that happens.

I don't understand how officers make the distinction to pull specific people over in a lane that is ostensibly supposed to be faster than the other lanes.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why are people applauding this?? While driving 63 in a 65 in the left lane is annoying, I certainly don't think it warrants someone having to pay a $200 fine for it. There are far worse drivers that deserve tickets......I feel bad for the lady.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The Germans do this. Their traffic flows much nicer there, with cars always passing vehicles that are in the lane to their right.

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I was going 75 in the left lane on the Katy Freeway yesterday and a HPD came up right behind me tailgating my ass. I checked my speed and thought I was going down, so I should just keep speeding until I'm done passing. I moved over after I was done passing, and he went past me going up to like 90. Cops fly around here.

I applaud this ticket.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

So is your argument here because they can't pull over everyone that is speeding that they shouldn't pull over anyone? Or is your argument that there should be no speed limit?

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Doesn't the ticket say $90 on it?

How hard is it to get in the right lane? Heck, most of the time you start out over there.

7. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

If you get a ticket for going the speed limit (65...or 63 in this case) and you get a ticket for going with the normal flow of traffic, then what is the real speed limit?

I just don't understand why it's so damn vague. So if the speed limit itself is too slow for the fast lane, what is the # that is acceptable? 70? 75? The uncertainty is what annoys me.

8. Hak34

Hak34 Member

So you don't want to get "stuck" behind trailers and slower traffic by switching lanes, but you don't mind making someone else getting stuck behind you. Perfect.

Fact of the matter is that you are not the traffic Nazi, car comes up behind you, then you move over.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Cops are just trying to fill quotas here. Speed limits are statutorily supposed to represent the maximum speed under ideal operating conditions.

10. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Yeah because on any given day a cop couldnt pull over a hundred speeding motorist.

Fact of the matter is this cop did the right thing. Its not about 2 mph, Its about the sick mentality that some people have that they should dictate what all cars are doing on the highway. Move over if your not passing someone. Read some of the responses in the other thread about a week ago. People really dont realize what douchebags they are. " If I am doing the speed limit you are going to have to deal with me holding up traffic."

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You were breaking the law at that time.

codell, you were right. I was trying to point that out.
    The speed limit is what is posted, nothing more, nothing less. There is no such thing as "normal flow".

I am sorry that you're annoyed, but most of us are.

I'm going to throw away your numbers and say this, in general, for ANY state, in ANY road:
    If you go just AT the posted speed limit, you can go on the left lane and pass other vehicles.
    If you go UNDER a posted speed limit and aren't passing anyone, be in the right lanes or let others pass you as a courtesy.
    If you (or any other group of people) go OVER the posted speed limit in ANY lane, you're breaking the law by violating the posted speed and are subjected to be stopped and warned, ticketed, cited, fined or a combination.

:eek: There's no argument about those three scenarios. The time you got caught, it just was because he caught YOU first, and no other reason.