1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Receives Ticket For Driving 2 MPH Under

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smr6, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I just use it because it's an amusing term to me. lol

2. Anxiety Trooper

We are. **** the pigs! Or you can call them the b**** ass 5O

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I remember once I was driving from UH to the 24-hr Starbucks at the Galleria... It was kind of late so I took my time on the road. Then I was on a bridge on the freeway switching from one freeway to another and suddenly a cop came out of nowhere tailgating me like crazy with the siren on. So then I prepared my acting skills and practicing different accents as I slowly pulled over the shoulder. Maybe my "foreigner" act will get me off the hook again. Then as it turned out, the cop was just in a rush and I was in his way. He zipped past me, that speed racer.

/irrelevant boring story

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Don't se e the problem with the ticket. The passing lane is supposed to have a higher speed than the speed limit for the other lanes...otherwise how the hell would you be able to pass anyone??? And if she wanted to go slow GET OFF THE DAMN PASSING LANE AND GO TO THE RIGHT LANE.

5. Anxiety Trooper

Problem is it doesn't have a different speed limit.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't agree with this.

The premise is fine, but 62 is a little to close to 65 to be ticketed.

If someone is driving 55, fine, but what if the lady's speedo says she is driving 65 due to tire wear or something similar?

The rules on this need to be more clear.

7. hotballa

Do they honestly need to post different speed limits for lanes? The lady should have moved to the right lane if she was so worried about the wind.

8. hotballa

She wouldnt be in the situation if she was in the right lane since she was so worried about weather conditions

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

It's not necessarily any particular number below, more the idea to just stay out of the fast lane unless you're moving faster than the traffic in the right lane. The problem is so many people don't understand to just stay in the right lane, & only use the left lane as a passing lane, it's pointless.

Even if someone was clocked doing the speed limit exactly, & they didn't move to the right lane as someone speeding approach from behind in the fast lane, I'm all for them getting a ticket.

"slower traffic keep right"

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

When driving from Houston to SA where traffic is a nightmare already and I'm already going over the speed limit (and using cruise), I'm not gonna bother constantly switching lanes and risk getting stuck behind trailers and slower (than the limit) vehicles because someone feels the need to go 95-100.

In town and on the freeways, I'm usually pretty good in the middle lanes.

Again it's a chicken and egg argument. I don't think the law is clearly defined when one car is seeking to pass you when it is going above the posted speed limit. That car is breaking the law and is that one car going at the flow of traffic or faster?

But like I said, I'll get over, just don't be an ******* and try to "persuade" me.

12. smr6

smr6 Member

I went to UTSA for 4 years, spent plenty of time going back and forth on I-10 to Houston. I never had a problem going 5 MPH over the whole way and moving right when I saw someone gaining ground behind me.

13. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I got a ticket for going 80 in the fast lane a few weeks ago when everyone in front of me was going the same speed.

Moral is: cops will make any excuse to give you a ticket and get your money. A lot of it is BS.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What was the posted speed limit at the place where you were written the ticket, sir? :eek: And, please, just the facts.

15. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

No, they don't need to post speed limit for different lanes because it's the SAME limit for every lane. Is it that hard a concept to understand? Passing lane does not mean you can go faster than the limit.
    It just means people in other lanes can go slower than the limit and the left lane is what you would use to pass them up.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In Texas, vehicles only have to stay to the right if they are driving slower than normal speeds of other vehicles. Speeding is not a normal speed.

Granted, cars should drive in right lane if not passing out of courtesy if they are going speed limit.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

The point I think Swoly is making is, just because everyone else is breaking the law, it doesn't give you the right to break it also.

Obviously an officer, for the most part, only has the capability of pulling one person over at a time. It was not your lucky day.

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Eh. So how fast was traffic moving in all lanes on this highway for the 20 minutes it took him to give her the ticket?

20. nono

nono Member

This is ridiculous. So they're gonna give you a fine whether you're driving under or above the limit ? So it's better to just always be speeding I guess.