1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

r****d

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by emjohn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Whoa there, cowboy. I'm staying out of this as much as possible, but you'd better read what I write before you decide to start spouting off about what I want.

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

http://www.lolroflmao.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dont-call-r****ded-people-r****ds-michael-scott-the-office.png

1 person likes this.
  3. Granville

Granville Member

So.....The people whose children represent the punchline of the joke / insult are counter productive because they stand up for their kids. Ok....

Tell you what....I will continue you to stand up for my kid and others like him and let people know that comparing foolish behavior of an individual to re****s which has long been a dergoatory term aimed at mentally challenged people is insensitive and insulting.

Somewhere someone was taking a similar stance saying I can't see how those black folks get so upset hearing the word N*****. That word continues to get used but most people get looked down upon for using it. Continue down the thought path you are on regarding the R word and you will be one of the people who are looked down upon for doing so at some point. Whether that bothers you or not is yours to live with.

4. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Unclinch those cheeks sir. I meant OP as in original post, as in what the post was saying, not you amigo.
    "Wednesday, March 6th is the annual Day of Awareness for Spread the Word to End the Word. It is a cause pushed by multiple groups that are asking the public to remove r****d and all of its derivations from everyday use.."

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

Have you ever called anyone on this BBS or IRL an idiot or a moron?

6. Granville

Granville Member

Someday when you develop some level of self-consciousness, you will realize how unfunny and stupid that posts was. I'm just sayin....

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Good for you. You'll be a fine parent.

I'm not talking about parenting here. The issue is advocacy. This is (understandably)just too close to the hearts of a lot of parents.

I've been working with kids with autism for 13 years. I've seen it all. The fact that you're biting my head off for having an opinion different than yours on the way to attack this word is telling. I choose to work with kids with autism because I love it. That moment of connection that you have to work so hard for is baddass.

My question to you is are you being an advocate here? You're making a difference about the way people see kids with disabilities; is it the one you intended?

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Those words have lost their original meaning. Most people aren't even aware of it. And no uses the word "idiot" or "moron" to make fun of the mentally disabled. "r****d", on the other hand, is still used by some people to make fun the mentally disabled or speak in a derogatory way about them. That meaning has not been lost.

And I bet the reason some people like to use the word "r****d" rather than "idiot" or "moron" is because that mean, derogatory usage is still in existence -- it becomes a more biting insult.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, he already is a fine parent.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

IMHO, anti-PC zealots are worse than actual PC ones because while they critize PC people for wanting the world to conform to their views, they don't realize they're asking the world to act according to their wishes.

I've never understood what is so hard to understand about not offending people just because you can. I call people like that dicks.

2 people like this.
  11. Roxnostalgia

You missed the point.

Styck to sticks.

12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Granville

Granville Member

Thank you for working with Kids with Autism. I truly appreciate that.

I learned long ago that you can't change how some people think. People that say some of the things that they have in this thread are incorrigible. I don't put you in that category. I don't agree with you but I think you'd be a better advocate if you directed some of your energy at those people because they truly make whatever point you think you are making harder to make.

Again...I appreciate you working with these kids, I really do but don't think that puts you in those kids shoes or the families that raise them. I choose to work with Autism kids too because I love THEM. On a scale of severity and behaviorial issues of 1-10, my own son is a 10.

As I sit here typing this, I am looking down at both my hands covered with 50 plus recent scratches from my son because he was angry that I chose to stop him from hitting himself with his fists in his face. Despite having a very tough case of Autism to deal with 24-7, my wife and I started a project that has raised over 200K over the last 4 years to help other Autism Families have a week long respite opportunity. So please don't think you're the only one making a choice to help these kids (and their families). On these respite events, we are surrounded by typical families who slowly become aware of what life is like for our kids. It's awareness a step at a time but the response has been positive.

I'm really struggling with how you think you're helping if you are discounting the opinion of the family as too close. The families need their own voice, they live this life. They raise these kids, they live with the look they get (from people like the ones making stupid comments here) when people stare at their kid, they sacrifice their careers, their personal finances, their own health and their own piece of mind. What I am telling you is that despite what you have done, you don't have the perspective that these families have. I love it that you are an advocate but your opinion isn't superior to those of the families who live this first hand. Sorry if that upsets you but it's true.

14. Granville

Granville Member

I was just about to address this.. Thanks Durvasa.

Idiot and Moron were once Medical Definitions that were replaced by terms to define the different levels of what now is called r****dation.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Point wasn't missed at all.

16. Granville

Granville Member

He needs to understand that these familes get isolated from society because of the condition their children have. Telling them that their opinion isn't as valid as his or even the general public increases that sense of isolation.

17. Roxnostalgia

Here's the difference as I see it. As I look down at my hands as I type this I have one recent scratch and 2 really good scars. It's snowing like crazy in the DC area. No school means I don't see kids. I'm well rested.

If I came across as discounting the opinions of families of people with disabilities that was not my intention. The difference is exactly what you have described. You live it all day every day. Our experiences are completely different. I do this because I want to. That's super. Whatever.

You do this WELL because you want to. You've got a kiddo that requires a huge degree of time, effort, emotional investment and you're pulling it off like a pro. Oh, and in your spare time you find time to raise money to help other families of people with autism.

So some punk ass comes along on the internet. He's probably just a kid screwing around, looking for a laugh. He makes fun of the word r****ded. That pisses you off and why wouldn't it? You live this all day everyday and this is just a joke to him. I get it as well as someone who has never had a child with a disability can.

My point is that you and the kid who uses the word r****ded are coming from completely different places. That word is a slap in the face to all you do. But that kid just isn't there yet. My point is that berating him online does't change anything in a positive way. That guy needs to meet your son/daughter or someone that looks like them. That's when real change happens in my opinion.

At least that's when it happened for me.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, I guess that's understandable.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The problem is the OP isn't berating anyone. Asking people to stop using that word isn't scolding them. They're only treated that way when they come back with responses like "stupid PC police at it again" or the like. If someone wants to continue to act that way, they'll receive the responses they deserve.

It takes an ******* who knows a word makes other people upset, yet continues to use it. Regardless if they've worked, met or are acquainted with special needs kids at all.

1 person likes this.
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

congrats on the degree.

how is "masters in r****d(ed)" different from "masters in mongoloid"? :confused: