1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about sports "cheating"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roflmcwaffles, Mar 1, 2013.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Not sure if this is the right forum section, but well here it is.

Why are steroids considered cheating?

If it has to do with something unnaturally added to the body, then Kobe's knee treatment stuff in Germany, should be banned too.

If science creates a substance that makes your performance better, Tommy John's surgery, should be banned too.

I don't really understand. If it is a legal thing, then shouldn't it be claimed as that being the problem, instead of calling it cheating.

I think all athletes should be allowed to use whatever they want, hell it will make it more exciting for us as fans, or else at least give a reason for banning stuff, just banning something for enhancing your performance is a horrible reason because a multitude of things "enhance your performance" and aren't banned.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Because they actually ARE banned.

I don't care about PEDs, by the way.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

That is my question, what is the reasoning behind banning them, and not other things?

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Steroids are banned because of the harm it does to many organs and parts of the body.

5. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

There is a difference between treatment and enhancement. People "need" treatment, such as Kobe to recover, while other take steroids purely for an athletic edge. That's my take on it, I'm sure there are some circumstances that probably don't follow this.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Because PEDs give you an advantage over normal skills. That's very different than trying to repair damage.

PEDs allowed Barry Bonds to hit a ridiculous number of homeruns that no human could duplicate without PEDs. Tommy John surgery never made a pitcher better than he was prior to the injury. Same with the treatment that Kobe received for his knees.

PEDs give an unfair advantage and there are health risks with them. If you legalize PEDs then you will effectively force players to risk using PEDs in order to compete.

Personally, watching Bonds, Sosa and McGuire play homerun derby every night wasn't appealing to me. It turned baseball into a video game.

1 person likes this.
  7. laserguy183

laserguy183 Member

Tommy John surgery happens after years of screwing over the ligaments in your arm. Surgeons transplant ligaments from your own body to replace/repair the ones you destroyed by throwing curveballs for 2-3 years.

Tommy John rarely increases performance- maybe in a few sporadic instances but generally not.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Thats just what we need. lil league kids juicing up so they can obtain success no matter how minute the odds..

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

THIS.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well to start, Steroids taste like crap.

1 person likes this.
  11. QazQay

QazQay Member

Its because of the health risks. If there was no health risks at all, it would be legal

12. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

True.. got to take steriods when I had Bells Palsey..

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Bonds broke Hank Aaron's home run record, I just about gave up on baseball. The steroid era ruined the game for me. It became a joke.

14. jae713

jae713 Member

^This. Can you imagine the blow back from the retired players who would suffer the long term effects of steroids. It would be 20 times worse than how it is with the NFL and concussions right now.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

no....not even close. There are several issues where PED's would be the preferred treatment, but are banned due to their nature.

the issue is in the name, it's because they can enhance performance above normal levels, whereas something like as was suggested Kobe's knee treatment, which despite all the bull**** about him "going to Germany" is really just an anti inflammatory.

16. dharocks

He was mad fun to watch though.

I remember sitting in the stands at CBP and the crowd was booing Barry like only Philly fans can. Then he hit a 450 ft bomb and they gave him a standing O. It was awesome.

17. dharocks

18. QazQay

QazQay Member

Think about caffeine. Students often times use caffeine to help them study and focus on tests. It has been shown that caffeine improves focus in many studies. Yet using caffeine is perfectly legal, no one would say drinking coffee or red bull to stay up to study is unfair, even though it gives an advantage. This is because there is no health risks with caffeine (well maybe very very minimal ones, but they are negligible). Adderall, which is usually prescribed for ADHD, is often abused by students to study for tests. It is ILLEGAL. This is because adderall is bad for you - it causes cardiovascular problems and can lead to psychosis. If Adderall was made legal for use by anyone, these health conditions would rise.

Same thing with steroids in sports. If made legal, everyone would use them to compete, but they are terrible for health, so people would be subjected to health risks. Thus, they are kept illegal to protect people's health. As for Kobe's knee procedure, I don't really know anything about it but if its illegal here, it is because the medical community sees problems with it and thinks it could potentially be dangerous. If there is no health risks involved, it will be allowed.

19. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

different type of steroids

corticosteroid vs annabolic

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Caffeine is currently on the watch list to see if there is any sign of performance enhancing effects due to specific behaviour, they have the same position on tobacco fyi, so yeah, good call.....

The thing there is though that Caffeine doesn't have an observed performance enhancing affect for athletes, what you're mistaking here is similar to the vitamin effect, supplemental that can help cope with a shortage of something doesn't mean it provides a boost to people without issues. (what on earth would an athlete have to gain from sleep deprivation?), and if you're taking a drug for "more focus" in a professional sport, they don't particularly consider that a compelling issue, anti depressants are used for similar things.

The issue is whether the drugs are performance enhancing, not health impact, hence the name.