1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Murph's boxing comment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Oct 20, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Steve took the ball to the hoop and received a forearm across the nose. I think it was Dale Davis, but I can't remember for sure. As he was picking himself up off the floor to shoot free throws, Bill said something about Davis(?) sending a message about not coming inside. Calvin said in his day the message would be "there was about to be a boxing match". Now, maybe Calvin wouldn't have taken it in there in the first place, but I guarantee you if anyone hit him like Steve got hit, Calvin would have been a blur coming off the the deck and tatooing the guy's face. I saw that happen several times, usually against centers and power forwards who were used to doing that sort of thing to guards and getting away with it, but should have known better with Calvin. No one ever got the best of him in a fight.
    Just a little FYI for you younger dudes.

------------------

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

True Moe, Calvin would have been a nice boxer, if he chose that sport instead of Basketball.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. RENDIGGLER3:20

Yeah Moe Ive heard a few stories from my dad about Calvin being pretty bad.He told me once he seen him jump up to hit another player in the face,does this ring a bell I dony know much about it?

------------------

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for the memories...Moe!

5. mgille

mgille Member

The player Clavin jumped up to hit in the face was Karem Jabbar of the Lakers if I am not mistaken.

------------------
    WINNING-The sum of the forces by which losing is resisted.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's an analyst, a basketball legend, a baton twirler, and a boxer...

He's Calvin Murphy... man of a thousand professions and a bajillion words.

------------------
    I got nothin'.

7. Timing

Timing Member

It was Rasheed trying to block the shot from behind.

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

moe.. yeah i'm only 17 but have heard a lot about him.. the guy is awesome and i've met him several times including ag ain last week. he seems to be a really cool guy. i wish he wouldn't have had those jordan shoes on last week though [​IMG] come on calvin the only real 23 is you

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

9. rock

rock Member

Was it Dale Davis or Wallace that almost decapitated Francis? I'm just glad Steve didn't get poked in the eye like KT and Los.

------------------

10. Stevie3

Stevie3 Member

LOL - I thought Calvin was all talk! But he walks the walk!

These days I don't think a player can get away with hitting back without hurting his team with many suspended games, especially cannot afford to lose Stevie for any amount of time. That being said, a flagrant should have been called to give him a little satisfaction at least! [​IMG]

------------------

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I was up in the mountains for the weekend, so I'll answer a couple of replies. Mgille & Rendiggler, I don't recall Murph ever fighting Kareem, but possibly. You may be thinking of Sidney Wicks. He was from UCLA also. He was a tough 6'9" power forward that did something Murph didn't like. Calvin took him to the floor & bapped him several times. When Wicks got up, his nose was about 4 times its normal size. It looked like a summer sausage. Another guy I saw Murphy fight was Jay Schlueter, a 6'10" power forward/center. Murph jumped up and was hanging in the air like MJ just hammering the guy. Schlueter left the court bloodied.

------------------

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Calvin was tough except when it came to missed shots. How many times did he come up limping or grabbing a hammy after a missed shot?
    What a character.