1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The 40 is important (kinda) but does it really affect coverage ability at ILB? In coverage from the 2nd level back-peddling and moving laterally are like 70% of the movement. You're not gonna find an ILB fast enough to cover a Hernandez or RB out of the backfield, sorry to burst y'alls bubble but 85% of why NE smoked us out of the backfield was due to coaching and talent on their side.

Yes we need speed and athleticism inside, don't get me wrong, but let's go through the data. Let's analyze what we consider to be the top 15 cover LB's in the game and find their 40 speed.

And no, I do not want Teo.

3. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I'm just not impressed overall, and certainly not as a 1st round pick.

4. Nextup

Nextup Member

I'm more concerned with how bad teo looked vs Alabama then I am with his 40 time.

1 person likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to HoustonTexans.com, it's "not outside the realm of possibility" the team uses its first- or second-round pick on a quarterback.

"In this business, you better be looking for young quarterbacks you think have a chance to be a 10-12 year guy," coach Gary Kubiak said. Despite his comments, Kubiak insists he has faith in Matt Schaub and T.J. Yates. With Schaub in decline and Yates still a wild card, we don't doubt the Texans would pull the trigger on an early-round QB if they found themselves smitten. It's also possible the Texans are simply trying to create a market for the 27th pick.

6. wadero

wadero Member

I Heard they plan on moving Reed to inside LB. We need another CB or Saftey everything else can be replaced.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

T'eo trying to cover Gronkowski et al looks like a recipe for disaster and will have him burning up the twitterverse for an e-shoulder to cry on.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody can cover Gronkowski. The next Patrick Willis available in this draft.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I hope they do, he plays the run so well and for a LB can keep up and cover some.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Before I made any judgments about Manti Teo's 40 time (which seems slow), I looked something up.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009OLB.php

He alright.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

#231 Joshfast, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think it's bigger then that - we'll see how far he drops come the draft. ;)

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Any team that wastes a 1st round pick on Manti Teo should fire their GM on draft day</p>&mdash; Mark May (@mark_may) <a href="https://twitter.com/mark_may/status/306439953217372160">February 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I'm torn...don't think Teo is a first rounder, but Mark May saying this makes me think he'll be the best LB of all time.

16. 45souf

45souf Member

I can see a scenario where a team trades up early second to get him. He is a play maker on defense. Not the fastest by any means, but his instincts are very good. Speed can be improved, Instincts can not.

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He's 22 and has had the last couple months to focus solely on being quick/fast for the combine...if this isn't the most ideal time for him to be the fastest he ever has or can be, then I don't know what is. Unless he finds a great HGH supplier, or he has simply been completely mismanaged in terms of working out, he isn't going to miraculously improve in those areas.

That being said, he'd probably still be a late 1st round pick had it not been for the whole catfish thing.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's just making those comments on ESPN's behalf to spark some marketing juju between the whole manufactured war going on between him and Lou Holtz (ND) -- don't take it literally man. C'mon.

19. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

for the love of god just dont let gary kubiak pick quarter backs.

its quite obvious he doesnt know a damn thing about picking qbs because every single one of his qb picks have sucked massive assss.

Orlovsky
    Schaub
    Rosenfels
    Grossman
    John Beck
    TJ Yates
    Case Keenum

man i hate kubiak.

20. Mashing

Mashing Member

Please. Kubiak can develop QB's. The year's that we could have taken a franchise QB it was not a need for the Texans at the time. Quality backup QB's are VERY difficult to find. There's not enough good starters, let alone backup's to fault him for those moves.

You can hate him for plenty of other reasons (and I do), but not because the QB's that he'd picked up in the draft or free agency haven't panned out. They never had much upside to begin with (and the book is still out on Keenum).