1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden: One of the top 6 players to build around

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Where should Harden rank as one of the top NBA players to build around?

1. 1

28 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. 2

17 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. 3

103 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. 4

91 vote(s)
    20.7%
  5. 5

89 vote(s)
    20.3%
  6. 6

35 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Out of top 6

76 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Lebron followed by Durant should be lock and is obviously the consensus 1 and 2.

After that, I think it would be CP3 and Harden. I think CP3 is better and makes his teammates around him exponentially better. But we are talking about building a team around a player.

I know this is crazy as well, but I would put Lillard in the conversation as well. He has that "it" factor and can WIN games for you night in and night out. He has a special NBA talent that I would rank up there with Irving and Westbrook.

My list would be:

Lebron - as long as you have him, your team is in contention for the next 5 years.
    Durant - best scorer in the league (Melo is not even close) and most clutch since Jordan
    Harden - All around player who does not shy away from big moments, also plays a style that is not conducive to injuries.
    CP3 - Only reason he is behind Harden is because of the injury worry. Otherwise, he is higher than Harden and up there with Durant.
    Lillard - Again, it's that IT factor. It is so big. He has an NBA's killer mentality and is as skilled as anyone listed below him with a tenacity that a true leader needs.
    D ROSE - He is young enough to come back from this injury and he is doing it right. He is not rushing it and I think the only person in the world that can stay in front of him is Lebron (ala playoffs two years ago)

Followed by the Westbrooks, Irvings, Kevin Loves of the NBA.

2. tarantula

tarantula Member

I cannot believe that i forgot about Rose, that would make Harden #5 on my list. Derrick is #3, even maybe number 2, just behind Lebron. When he is healthy he is something special.

If u speak about Irving, i would take John Wall before him. I hate players without defense and Kyre is probably one of the worst defender in NBA.

3. thekad

thekad Member

Putting Irving over Harden is strange. Putting Westbrook over Harden is simply ridiculous.

Lebron
    Durant
    CP3
    Dwight (I think he can regain his Orlando play)
    Harden

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Harden is a real gem. The kid has unbelievable skills. But, that's not the most exciting part of his game. I really like that he has a killer instinct (although sometimes result in bad shots, but I rather him take those shots than being passive). Likes to go to the basket. Great basketball IQ. I definitely rank him above westbrook. Right up there with KD and Lebron, oh well maybe a shade below. What a robbery Morey pulled off. :grin:

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I also want to make a wild card mention of Anthony Davis. People should be paying more attention to this guy. He's already having a great rookie season and I expect him to break out in a big way over the next couple years. He could very easily become a top 5 player in the league by the time the 2015 playoffs roll around.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What more does this 23 year old have to do to prove that he's a #1 option?

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. He is a tough shot maker. Maybe that is it. I mean, as long as the game is close, you are never safe with Irving on the other team. But, the same can be said of Harden. But, Harden does what Irving does (in a different fashion) all while keeping the defense worried about fouling out AND guarding the other 4 players on the court.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just put him on ignore, if he doesn't buy Harden as a franchise player by now he never will. He's decided to be wrong and nothing will change his mind.

9. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Isn't Paul Pierce the number 1 option? And I said he will be better than the Truth.

10. leejl01

leejl01 Member

but defense can be covered up with a good supporting cast. see asik, omer.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, picture a young Paul Pierce play with the current Rox squad minus Harden in the West. That's pretty much the 5 or so misrable years PP had in Boston. Harden is a different basketball player than PP.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Derrick Rose is sort of the wild card here. If he comes back looking like Derrick Rose then I think he leap frogs everyone other than Lebron & Durant. Right this second though I think he's actually below Harden, Irving, etc. given the question marks with how he will come back from this major injury.

Whatever the case, its just amazing that the Rockets have a guy that's even in the top 10 much less arguably top 5.

Good stuff.

13. smr6

smr6 Member

Irving is a good player, but he should not be ahead of Harden.

There is barely an age difference between the two so that is a non-factor.

Harden and Irving average the exact same for assists at 5.6 per game. This is despite Irving being a PG and Harden being a SG who has a PG averaging 6 assists on his team as well.

While Harden is a ball dominant player, Irving requires the ball in his hands much more than Harden does.

Also Harden can score in much more ways than Irving can and only seems to be getting better at it as the season goes on.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Rose is one of the guys I didn't consider because of injury. Maybe we should do this again next season, after he comes back.

15. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Just because some people have different POV doesnt mean they are wrong. Get that in your head first.

When Harden starts playing at the highest level on both sides of the floor like Lebron/Kobe/Wade/Duncan, he will become THE franchise guy. Until then for me, he is a super star like Pierce a "franchise" player that the Celtics built around but they never won until Garnett joined Pierce became a much better defender.

AndI said Harden is projected to become a better Pierce (in his prime) and you took insult to that? seriously? lol

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I agree. To think that we have the opportunity to outright sign a top 10 player next to him and trade for a top 20 given our assets is even more amazing. It's even MORE sweet to consider that James' contract is 5 more years after this season so there is no rush the first off season. Even if we don't make any major (adding a top 20 player) this off season, this team still gets better.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

BTW, I am glad there are not a lot of mentions (if any) of Kevin Love or Blake Griffin.

Because Thomas Robinson is ahead of them both.

18. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

definitely ahead of Westbrook

probably close call with Irving

But he can't be ahead of LBJ, Durant and CP3

#4 tied with Irving

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I would take Harden over Irving and Westbrook.

20. Asian Sensation

Lebron
    Durant
    Harden
    Paul... George that is.
    Chris Paul

There's a lot of solid to good to great PG's in this league. Having a great swingman that can pretty much do it all are extremely rare. Back in the day (90's the NBA was built around big men with traditional back to the basket post-up games on offense and camping out in the lane all day because of no defensive 3 second aka illegal defense rule implemented. With the rule change and dearth of those great big men it only makes having a great swingman more important.

When you look at the history of NBA Championship winners you almost always have an elite swingman in the mix. The guy that's around 6'5 - 6'9 who can plat 3 positions if need be. Shoot, rebound, create for others and put the ball on the floor, and shut down the other teams best player aside from the PF or C.

This is why I'm surprised nobody mentioned Paul George and why I value him so highly. At just 22 years of age he's already improved leaps and bounds each year. It's only his 3rd year he I think he's arguabally one of the best lockdown defenders if not the best in the league and the scary part is his offensive game is rapidly improving as well. He has all the physical tools (height/strength/athletcism), talent and work ethic (skills improving) to become a superstar. I see shades of a young McGrady before he blew up... and a prime Orlando McGrady was scary good.

1 person likes this.