1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Robinson vs Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cstyle42, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

http://youtu.be/EAX7E425x44
    This was the NCAA championship game last year and it appears to me Robinson is undersized and it shows when he went against Jones and Davis. This is good film on the explanation of why 10% of his shots are blocked. He excels well in pick and roll situations though and hustles hard. Saying all that... That fact that we have both Jones and Robinson is just incredible. Crazy that Jones doesn't play but Robinson will after looking at this video. Basketball is business obviously. #5 pick means more than what the case is on the basketball floor but we will see in these upcoming games. I hope both guys play great!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Who says Robinson is going to play? I suspect he might get some limited minutes to show that he can excel.... but if he doesn't' excel in any particular area, his minutes will remain limited at best.

3. leejl01

leejl01 Member

who's terrance jones?

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Naw...I wouldn't say he looks undersized. Davis has elite length and is one of the greatest freshman shot blockers of all time. Jones has ideal PF size and athleticism, but he likes to play like a SF. Robinson is only slightly smaller than Jones and they play the game very differently. I'm a big fan of both and I hope they both develop and pan out. I think they both have elite talent while bringing different strengths to the table.

#4 vator, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's just a dumb and lazy statement. You want to know why Robinson might play over Jones? Because Robinson does what the coaches tell him and understands what he's supposed to do.

This is the NBA not Rucker Park summer league.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Typically only rookies with ability to hold their own on defense gets play time.

7. Sanity2disChaos

Jones -Center
    Robinson -PF

Everybody Happy??

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Thomas Robinson obviously, he has good potential.

9. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

One game doesn't determine everything, especially one game against the Top 2 NBA draft picks. Kentucky had all 5 of their starters get drafted into the NBA, and 3 players in the top 20...Kansas had 2 players drafted (Tyshawn Taylor 44th pick).
    Talent wise it seemed to me Robinson was going up against better competition than Jones.

1 person likes this.
  10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Both are rated high in Hollinger's draft rater, Kevin Pelton's top7 and obviously our own Morey's draft board.

Due to our congestion at the 4 spot, it's reasonable to play experienced players first(increase trade value and trade). Blame the strategy of drafting best player no matter the position philosophy.

Expect us to trade out Dmo after he increases his value in the rest of the season unless he really catches up on defense.

Out of the two, Trob has elite speed for a 4. How to utilize it is the key in his development.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

It's Terrorence Jones, ladies, but I think T-Rob ultimately wins because mad work ethic trumps intelligence in the NBA any day of the week.

12. liunatic

liunatic Member

...he had 18 points and 17 rebounds against Kentucky...Not sure why you think he played a bit undersize...

13. Anxiety Trooper

Not sure if serious or stupid?

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Not sure if stupid or serious.:cool:

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Robinson gets blocked a lot because he doesn't mind mixing it up with the big boys. The dude is fearless.

16. art

art Member

it goes dmo.......tjones.throb...............................that other guy

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You misunderstood the interpretation of what I'm really saying. Moreso to prople that expect him to be on a Shawn Kemp level early on. I'm basically saying why would so many expect so much from Thomas Robinson so early regarding him getting big minutes when we have Jones right now in his situation. I mean should we really expect a lot after watch that championship game and other games he's played. Just don't be too upset if he does everything coach says and still doesn't produce up to high expectations.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

the latter

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Apples and oranges comparison. Robinson was the star of that Kansas team. Jones was a role player, the third or fourth option for UK on offense. On defense, everything was funneled through Davis.

Robinson's struggles to create his own shot against UK weren't surprising. They had the length of an NBA front line, and the one thing we know about T-Rob is that he's raw from a post moves standpoint. His "go-to" move in college, honestly, was simply throwing it toward the backboard and crashing the offensive glass... and it's not a shock that it didn't work as effectively against UK, given all the length.

Still, even though he struggled at creating his own shot, he was effective enough at the "other things" to go for 18 and 17. Those other things -- rebounding, pick and rolls, transition game, catching passes around the basket and finishing -- are what he's going to be allowed to focus on here in Houston. I think he'll contribute a lot sooner than many folks think.

1 person likes this.
  20. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

the former