1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Metallica Name New Bassist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BobFinn*, Feb 25, 2003.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Metallica Name New Bassist

Former Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy bassist to replace Newsted

Metal vets Metallica finally filled the hole at the bottom of their lineup yesterday, welcoming bassist Rob Trujillo into the fold as they prepare for their upcoming Summer Sanitarium tour. The group had been without a full-time bassist since Jason Newsted -- who replaced founding bassist Cliff Burton, killed when the band's tour bus crashed in Sweden in 1986 -- quit in January 2001.
    Trujillo played with California hardcore pioneers Suicidal Tendencies in the early Nineties. Metallica met Trujillo when the two bands toured together in 1993 and 1994.

"My visions of Rob are when we did Summer **** '94 tour with Suicidal," writes frontman James Hetfield in a post on the band's Web site. "I remember being blown away by the fierceness and seeing Rob . . . this monster on bass. He brings an awesome new strength to the band, and makes us step up."

When Suicidal folded in 1994, Trujillo played with a spinoff combo, Infectious Grooves, then joined Ozzy Osbourne's band in 1996.

Producer Bob Rock played the bass parts on Metallica's forthcoming album, St. Anger. He also filled in at a surprise club gig in San Francisco last summer, but he never wanted the touring job.

"I am so f**king excited to be a full unit again," drummer Lars Ulrich writes on the band's site. "The last two years of just being the three of us have taught me so much about myself, about James and Kirk and about Metallica. And to welcome Rob into Metallica in 2003 after all the growth and soul searching we've been through for the last two years, feels so ****ing awesome."

AUGUSTIN SEDGEWICK
    (February 25, 2003)

2. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

3. ewfd

ewfd Member

seconded

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The latest "Yes-man"!

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Enter the Yes Man!

6. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I don't much care for Metallica anymore, but I think it sounds like a good choice. However, I would hope he gives them a much needed kick in the pants.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To hell with whether or not he is a yes man. I'm just happy they are recording and touring again. They did pretty well for themselves with a yes man for many years now.

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more with you.

Why the hell did I even post this news?:confused:

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Maybe nobody likes Metallica?

I don't mind Metallica. I just want to fight Lars on FOX's (lack of a) Celebrity Boxing.

10. ewfd

ewfd Member

Watch out for Hetfield..

FIRE BAD!!!

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

No no, good stuff, b/c you just brought to light how far they had fallen to me.

I did not even know Jason left, what was Jason's reason for bolting?