1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. hltiki

hltiki Member

Not this Chalmers and Lin comparison again.. It was you that I had this discussion with last time I believe. Lin is so much better than Chalmers, and if the game against OKC didnt reinforce that then I don't know wtf to tell you...

But anyway, Harden did get called out by a teammate who is now on a different team, and CF does call him out on D all the time, I know; but have the coaches done so? Have the coaches called him out on his turnovers and his poor defense? Have the coaches singled out other players for their turnovers? Because the Rockets rank 1 in that regard.

What I just said sounds a lot like a Lin Hate conspiracy, which of course is stupid as ****, but the fact of the matter is that the quote by Mchale states that he would rather not have 29 points on 9 t/os, a stat by Lin that will result in a Rocket loss, which btw has not happened....

2. rocketblood713

Also Lin is still learning he still young for all we know hes trying to coach him up so let the man coach'em instead of trying to baby him for nice thing he does just cause he gets an ast or has a big game everybody or some want mchale to prasie him for doing wha he supposed to do

3. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I agree, McHale. Nothing controversial here.

5. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

Having a teammate call you out like that is not even close to the same thing as having your coach do it though.

[/QUOTE]How often do fans call Harden out for his poor defense?

As people like to mention so often, Lin is practically still a rookie. Rookies always get the worse treatment from the coaches (and I'm not talking about this particular case). Harden is a 23 year old veteran who has played a huge role in getting his team to the finals.

Comparing Lin and Harden is stupid. All-stars and role players have different accountability. You aren't going to hold Mario Chalmers to the same standard as Lebron, and you aren't going to hold Thabeet and Durant to the same standard.[/QUOTE]

For a mistake? I would totally hold them all equally accountable. The only thing that would differ is my expectation of that player's production.

I get what you're saying though but you have to look at the entire body of work. You can tolerate (not allow) certain things/mistakes to happen given a player's role but once it becomes a pattern of recurring mistakes you should hold that person accountable regardless of whether he is the star or the 12th man.

1 person likes this.
  6. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

with a better starting pg Houston will be in top 5 team in west

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

First of all, yes the coaches have called Harden out before on his turnovers and his attempts to drive into players.

And second of all you completely missed the point that I vehemently stressed, and I won't bother to repeat again. Lin is a role player and practically a rookie, James Harden is a veteran and an all-star. Accountability and standards are different for both players. Therefore, comparing their accountability is no different than comparing the accountability of Mario Chalmers and Wade.

I really don't care for this particular discussion because I have not seen the context and I don't participate in witch hunts, especially ones without adequate evidences. But it's frankly pretty annoying when people take shots at random rocket players in order to defend Lin.

8. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

The quote came from the NY Daily News? Oh, ok. That does explain plenty. As the Knicks continue to tank, you can expect more shots at Lin to help insulate New York from their decision not to keep Lin.

I wish I could get mad about this but I can't. Yes, the quote is off-base in characterizing Lin as selfish, but there are plenty of things JLin still has to learn. I think McHale is trying to be firm in helping Lin grow rather than giving in to "Linsanity means Jeremy is a finished product" thoughts. I'm sure McHale knows that he ticks off millions of Lin fans around the world, and little shots like this are possibly a bit of push back against that mentality.

Honestly, though, I don't think this kind of stuff will affect JLin too much. He's not weak minded, or doesn't appear to be. And his natural tendency as a player is to attack and look to score, so I don't think that will ever go away.

Jeremy still has to grow a lot as a player. McHale's "tough love" approach will probably help Jeremy in the end.

9. OpportunityCost

Defenders of McHale's statement; you can try to put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig, and this is one oinker of a statement from McHale.

1 person likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If the Rockets make the playoffs this season, and Lin does not perform well, he will most likely be on the trading block.

I think everyone will be keeping an eye on Lin and how he handles the pressure.

11. OpportunityCost

Lin must feel like he's under a microscope at all times.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

To lin's defense, mchale doesn't know or have any plays. I rarely see Lin take a look back at his coach or even mchale get up other than cheering.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No, he isn't.

14. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Ugh! I'm a McHale fan but this just sounds bad.

However, those saying to consider the source (NY Daily News) are correct. It's a throwaway line at the end of a column meant to stir the pot. We don't know what McHale actually said, how he said it, or even when he said it. That quote about the "home run hitter" is from a while ago, isn't it? Jeremy is out of NY but the NY sports columnists obviously miss him a lot. He really wasn't the story Friday night so they had to try to do something to make it about him. Ugh again!

I wouldn't get too upset about it without some more info about what Coach actually said and the context in which he said it, especially since it's coming from The Daily News. Now, if it were Howard Beck at the Times...Well, if it were, there would have been a lot more context, etc. and it would be a much more reliable report.

I'm with those who say....'nothing to see here'...

15. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see things like this.

So, let's see: Houston is exceeding all expectations, Lin has been improving all year in all facets of the game and it's pretty well known that the owner wanted him here and now he's on the trading block if he doesn't perform well in the postseason, if Houston makes it?

I don't understand how people come up with this stuff, I really don't.

You heard what Adam Silver (Stern's sidekick) said about Lin's popularity at the All Star Game right?

In general, if one is in possession of a walking bank, one does not trade said bank away.

2 people like this.
  16. OpportunityCost

The burden at times is placed completely on the individuals ability to beat someone off the dribble one-on-one. I believe that there is a place for that in a game, but it shouldn't dominate the play, IMO. That's why I hope we can one day have a coach with a sharp-witted offensive mind.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pops never did this to Duncan. And Coach has called out Harden. Harden dribbles into traffic too.

Jeremy Lin has the potential to be as good as Tony Parker. That is all we are after. But unlike Parker, Lin is playing with a 38mpg equivalent of Ginobody. Lin, just like Parker, has to give up control of the game to Ginobody.

This is winning basketball. Not Linning Basketball.

18. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Lol, and look where is PPat now. Not with the Rockets for sure...

19. OpportunityCost

Nice.

20. heads.up

heads.up Member

Lin at his best is better than Chalmers at his best. The key for Lin to become more consistent over time. Don't forget this is his first year starting the entire season and he shows what we expect out of a first year starter: inconsistency.