1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's business model when it comes to trades, and why he gets them done.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 21, 2013.

1. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's a good illustration for what his style has been for the last 2-3 years, but I think that is about to change.

Once we land or develop our 2nd and/or 3rd star, the roster churning is going to stop. We're going to surround them will role players that best compliment Harden and whoever else, and then stuff the 2nd team with veterans.

Lucky for us, we already have 3 good suppport players in Lin, Parsons, and Asik. One or even two may get shipped out eventually, but Im sure it would be for a star in return.

I've never worried about the 2nd team because that becomes easy when you have a championship level 1st team. A backup group full of Delfino level players can get the job done.

3. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Am I the only one who thinks Morey is overrated? I mean he is really good, but everyone treats him like he is Godly. I know with injuries to key players he has been hampered but 1 playoff series win in 7 years is a bad record. Even now, we are still at least a good 2-3 years away from making a deep playoff run. Is this a good record? Heck no...

We all keep saying how Morey blindly "robs" other GMs, again overrated. Look at what Mitch Kupchak did to the Grizzlies and the Magic. Now THATS legendary grand larceny. All Morey is doing is pick pocketing chump changes that adds to good assets but no championships.

4. TheresTheDagger

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

~Seneca, Roman philosopher Mid 1st century AD

I think more than anything, this is the phrase that describes Darryl Morey, ...especially this year. And part of the "Preparation" this year that is different than years past is the ability to have a free hand to do whatever it takes to improve the team. This is why at this point in the 2012/13 season we have only 1 returning player from last years squad...Chandler Parsons.

Years past, Les Alexander stubbornly held to the belief that you can rebuild while being competitive. This tied Morey's hands somewhat but finally after last years debacle/collapse Alexander relented.

Morey ran with it and during the middle of the summer, many were calling for his head wondering out loud if he had lost his mind. Even his supporters (myself included) were wondering aloud if he knew what he was doing when we lost Dragic, couldn't move up in the draft, lost out on Dwight, etc.

But Morey held firm to what he knows to be true. The new CBA was GOING to free up talent that in the past would have been unobtainable. He bided his time...continually looked for small moves to improve the "cupboard" while he waited for the big move to emerge.

And of course when it did emerge, the rest is history.

Darryl Morey is by no means perfect, nor is his system. I'm a believer nonetheless because it hits right more often than wrong. I'm also a believer because of his patient, flexible approach to managing team finances while finding the right players. Finally, I think his talent evaluation metrics are finding jewels that other franchises aren't. All these combine to make a GM and a franchise on the rise.

And it feels damn good as a Rockets fan to witness it.

2 people like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Good post, OP.

I also want to point out another reason there will always be GMs who want to trade with Morey: Arrogance.

Nobody rises to a position like general manager of a pro sports team without a healthy dose of arrogance and self-confidence. For them to say, "I won't make a deal with Morey because he fleeces people" is like them saying, "I'm not good enough at my business, I'm a gullible rube who will get fleeced if I try to trade with this guy".

None of them think that way, none of them would admit even to themselves that they're a lesser GM than Morey. I bet every GM in the NBA thinks he's hot sh** and is in at least the top 5 GMs in the game.

The difference is only Morey and four others actually are :)

So there will always be plenty of guys will to trade with Morey, because to do otherwise would be to admit you're not good enough for this job.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

So Harden is "chump change"? LOL.

Morey was dealt a tough hand. He came into his job with two superstars with big health problems. Nobody can blame him for trying to build the team around Yao and T-Mac, at that time they were considered elite players in the NBA when healthy. He's not psychic, he couldn't have known their careers were essentially done.

When it finally became clear (not until at least 2010) that Yao was finished, Morey also given a directive to rebuild a title contender without losing. This is much more difficult and requires much more skill than tanking. It's not his fault that Alexander did not want a losing team.

I think it's nothing short of magical that just a few years after Yao's retirement we already have a new superstar and the young foundation of what should be a championship contender within the next few years. It takes most teams at least five years to get to that point. Some teams dwell in mediocrity for much longer.

1 person likes this.
  7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah that Magic trade is working out real well for them. :grin:

The GM of the Lakers will always be inherently in a better position to negotiate with trades and free agents due to the fact it's LA and they still have a superstar in Kobe to attract other players. I shudder to think what dynasty Daryl would build if he was the GM for a team like the Lakers.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

To add to the chump change: Let's not forget that in addition to Harden, Morey managed to pry loose Lin and Asik from teams <i>who wanted to keep them</i> by exploiting a quirk of the new CBA that literally nobody else in the league figured out until it was too late. He got hated on at the time for paying both of them too much, but they're looking like perfectly reasonable deals now.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

Nah, Morey's good because he's predatory. He can smell it when you are in a bad situation, and he will be there ready to "save" you by trading you anti-venom, vaccines, bandages, antibiotics, ropes, waterskins, SCUBA gear, freeze-dried strawberries, and cans of beans for your soul and your virgin daughter.

10. leejl01

leejl01 Member

caption should read 'like a bawss'

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Truth be told...If the Sacramento Kings really wanted to shed salary...John Salmons was someone they shouldve gotten rid off as opposed to Garcia...but Morey being the sly fox he is got Garcia instead...who becomes an expiring contract next season...

At the beginning of this season(prior to the draft), the Rockets were faced 3 first round draft picks and desperately tried to parlay those picks into a top 5 pick...none of those things transpired...and instead the Rockets still have 2 of the 3 picks still on our roster...The subtraction of Goran and Lowry for the addition of Lin and Asik got the ball rolling...the acquisition of a top 10 player in the league in James Harden from OKC for Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb was just amazing...Then piece by piece...the Rockets dismantled every thing they had last season, got younger kept 1 player from last years team in Parsons...acquired the top 5 pick, still own 2 of their 3 picks from 2012 draft, marketed their team with Jeremy Lin's presence, Acquired an underutilized skilled 7 footer rotting on the bench in Chicago, and got a budding superstar in James Harden...what Daryl Morey did this year has been nothing short of remarkable...

The phrase "In Morey we trust" was extremely brought to question when things looked abysmal/bleak at the end of last season...We all thought Morey had one more year before Les axed him...But in just one year, Morey not only saved his job, but got a nice little raise for everything he has done upto this point...and he still isnt done just yet...location, youth and cap space are the most appealing thing to established stars...it gives them their best chance at a title...Morey couldnt do much about the location(bc weren't as glamourous as NYC, glitzy as LA, or as lavish as Miami), but he made everything else happen...

After being spurned by multiple superstars...in Carmelo, Bosh, and Dwight...and after having disposed of broken/fragile superstars in Yao and TMAC...the Rockets have an identity, and a clear model of success that can rival OKC, and the Spurs...Kudos to Les for giving Morey a chance, and Kudos to Morey for not giving up on his philosophy...thank you...GO ROCKETS

1 person likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Other posters have already given some great responses to this, but I just want to add one important sentence.

This year is the first year that this team has been completely Daryl Morey's vision.

13. Classic

Classic Member

I think you're right. If you watch the movie Money Ball, there is belief these guys have and it is that they are not emotionally attached to the players. This dude just goes brass balls boss on the deals moreso probably than any other GM. I think it helps he wasn't a player. No empathy.