1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin = Legit 3pt threat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tim777dawg, Feb 21, 2013.

1. tim777dawg

tim777dawg Member

Not trying to make something big out of a small sample size, but I just noticed on NBA.com that "Lin has shot 48.3 percent (56-for-116) from 3-point range over his last 11 games." What a weird turnaround for a guy who was airballing and clanking the majority of his 3s not too long ago. I still find myself cringing when he shoots, so I guess he just needs to extend this streak longer before we can all avoid tensing up when he shoots :)

Most of us assumed his shooting would improve as he got more comfortable post-injury, adjusted to the offense, etc., but it's still pretty exciting to see him shooting a Novak like percentage in recent games. If he could even stay above 40%, you've got to like the odds of him having more games like the one last night, and helping our chances in the playoffs. It make the Harden/Lin duo so much more potent if they can both drive and kick to each other with good results.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

knee-jerk?

3. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

To be fair he did air ball it yesterday during the game.

4. conquistador#11

some of his bffs are some of the best three point shooters in the world, something has to stick. (in time)
    but right now,I think it's just a hot streak making up for that cold streak earlier on.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

In the long term, yes. He's already a 32.5% three point shooter, so he's good enough to take the shot, at least. I see him improving down the road to about 35% which would definitely make him legit.

6. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

Major knee-jerk.... Would love it if u were right tho

7. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I remember earlier in the year Mchale was saying he wasn't worried about the shooting because he was shooting so well in practice. He knew it was a matter of time before it translated to the games.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nope, not yet.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'd be happy with him being a 35% guy long term. If he can keep praying this streak, though, watch out.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

11. Ultimate6thMan

I have always liked Lin's potential this whole year, but didn't expect his shooting to improve this much in the same year; if it stays the rest of this year close to what he has done the last 11 games.

With that being said, neither Lin or Harden can be guarded one on one on the perimeter, so if Lin's 3pt shooting stays above average, teams will crumble trying to guard them when they play off of each other.

If we add a low post threat of any kind before today's deadline, I predict that this team will surprise a lot of people, including Rocket's fans, during the playoffs!

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Your stats are off. Those are field goals, not 3 pointers. Lin isn't jacking 10 3 pt attempts a game.

Over the last 10 games, he's 15-30. Still good over that stretch, but he's not really jacking them up there. In only 3 of those games did he hit more than one 3 pointer.

13. zazinteractive

The stats you provided aren't correct. If he was 56/116 over his last 11 that means hes averaging about 5/10 per game.

14. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Lin has shot over 10 threes a game in the last 11 games? That doesn't sound right...

15. tim777dawg

tim777dawg Member

I don't think you can call this major knee-jerk since I prefaced it by saying I wasn't trying to make something big out of it, I only thought it was slightly encouraging. Saying this after 1 or 2 games would be major knee jerk. 11 games is enough to say, "ok, maybe this guy has a chance of actually shooting a respectable percentage." I agree that it's by no means proven until he does it over a much longer period of time.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

His shot has been improving, I think that comes with his knee being 100% and him getting comfortable again. If Jeremy can maintain this shooting, then spacing and wider driving lanes will be more available and this team's offense becomes even more deadly

17. tim777dawg

tim777dawg Member

Hmm, you're right, though I didn't make up the stat. Check it out at the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.nba.com/games/20130220/OKCHOU/gameinfo.html?ls=iref:nbahpgt[0021200804]

I didn't do the math, but you're right that it has to be incorrect.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

He always had good form, I think he just needed to challenge himself on concentration. And it's been done. I think 35% is good enough and that's substantial improvement. They key is really to open up the lane for drives by our SF, SG, and PG. Can't let them sag on us and take away our strength. So far so good.

19. art

art Member

hopefully, he can make enough so they are forced to step up and defend him, allowing him to penetrate...

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

There is nothing accidental about his increased shooting percentage which has incrementally increased the further removed from his knee injury. He has worked his ass off to get his form back and some.

Also, his teammates showed a lot of confidence in him swinging the ball to him for the open looks, and I have would no basis to counter their confidence.